Interesting topics in referral logs

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Just wondering - has anyone else written posts based on what they find in referral logs? I decided to look through referrals where visitors obviously wanted an answer to a question that I didn't answer on my blog, and post a few answers. Anyone else do this? Is it effective at getting traffic, or mostly just a fun game?

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
Well, my blog is about South Asian Business and that is why I cannot go out of my way of this subject. So, those key words that touch my area, I create a new post and those key words that are beyond the area of my blog, I have to leave alone.

Cyjon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andyhumphrey.net
I don't post about it, but I'm always amused by the search terms. On one of my sites I referred to a piece of video editing software as a "bubbling pool of Satan's vomit", and then got a bunch of hits on "Satan's vomit" which is apparently a punk rock group. I also called it a "steaming pile of poop" and not only do I still get hits on "pile of poop" but I even get "steaming pile of poop". I also get hits on the word "earballing" which is a word I thought I made up (like "eyeballing" but with sound).

The one that creeps me out a little is that my niece's site has a video of the first time she got her hair washed after she was born. One of the most common search phrases I get there is "hair washing video", which I can't help but assume is some kind of sexual fetish. I certainly hope they see it's a baby and move on.

Insomnicole

Registered
Reaction score
I've only written one post about a search string that shows up repeatedly in my logs (I'm not sure I can repeat it here -- it's a little NC-17!), but yes, it did in fact seem to draw even more people looking for that particular thing. Which probably isn't good, but oh well. Maybe they hung around anyhow.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Stat counter only does the last 100 hits, but here's what's in my referral log.

disney doodlebops rainbow gay

chris kenworthy hoax

we got mother****ing snakes

tv azteca infarto

latibær.is
jezabelle-jen
porum oklahoma
best mower for steep hill
cheaters stabbing hoax
asante kahari
myspace criminals
tomato flavored tortilla chips
sportacus catchphrase
creepiestcartoon
fireflies
80s air blimp cartoon
boobah creepy
backyardigans song is creepy

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
I've occasionally gotten ideas from my referral logs. Royal weddings and royal jewels are a frequent search term, so I wrote about them. A day doesn't go by that someone doesn't search for this subject so hopefully the articles I've written help out, so to speak. Prior to writing about this I couldn't really find very much, at least in one article.