Anyone know a person/business that converts books to e-books?

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
I have been trying to convert my book of short horror stories to e-book format, and it is an absolute disaster. All of these youtube videos and online guides are getting me nowhere. They don't address several specific problems that occur. Can anyone here recommend a website where I can pay to have my book converted?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Have you heard of Vellum? I haven't used it, but I will in a few months, and every self publisher swears by it. You can either buy the software outright or pay per formatting job.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
D2D wants 10% of my sales? Nuts to that. Getting Vellum now, will let you know how it goes!

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I believe Draft to Digital does more than Vellum. It distributes it to all digital stores, and it means when you update pricing it does it across the board. Makes it all a lot easier. Yes, it takes a cut, but it makes things easier too.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I use Liberwriter, there is a one off fee. I know I could probably learn to do it myself but I prefer their system for ease of use, backup of files, and other functions.

The Farmer

Registered
Reaction score
If you have Scrivener, you can compile it yourself very easily. You can download a full version of Scrivener and use it free for 30 days to check it out.

I'm a dunce when it comes to computer stuff, but I did it - so I'm sure you can too.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I prefer to do my own formatting (it's really not that hard, especially if you know HTML and CSS), but if you want a professional job, I highly recommend Hitch at booknook dot biz.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
D2D wants 10% of my sales? Nuts to that. Getting Vellum now, will let you know how it goes!

It's well worth it if you want to distribute to multiple retailers. For most things, their service is better (and faster) than Smashwords. Keep in mind, though, that the standard rule applies: garbage in, garbage out.

MysteryX

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.spiritualselftransformation.com
Or, export your book to HTML and hire someone on Freelancer.com to format the HTML properly. But then, you need to know exactly what to ask for.

I've been trying the ePub export feature of InDesign and it was a disaster. What works is exporting to HTML and then cleaning up the HTML/CSS as much as possible.

It's really not that hard, and you can get someone to do it for $5-10 per hour. Just make sure to review what they're doing.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I've been trying the ePub export feature of InDesign and it was a disaster. What works is exporting to HTML and then cleaning up the HTML/CSS as much as possible.

Just about every app that promises to export to ePub creates a mess. If you're comfortable with HTML and CSS, try Sigil (an open-source ePub editor). It makes producing validated ePub files very easy.