Which would you prefer...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
...between a short, happy life and a long, miserable one, which would you choose?

They put this question to us in 7th grade. Aside from me, the only other kid who picked a long, miserable life was Russell Burlingham---dark, Catholic, deeply immersed in the deadly art of kung fu.

God, I had such a thing for him:tongue

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
"Happy" is a very relative term. I live in a middle class family that would be very happy for some, but for me it has been crappy.

FlyByNight

Rubber Dog Poop Hauler
Registered
Reaction score
It is the first Nobel Truth that the nature of life is suffering. It is from our attachment to this sentient existance that this suffering arises. We all have the power for freedom from suffering. There is a path, and it is not found in death, but within the gift of life that we all are so lucky to be experiencing. Instead of dwellling on what you might percieve as an unhappy existance, you would be better suited to address the issues that are the cause of your suffering. The length of your life is unimportant, all you have is the now -- it is up to you to make it "happy".

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
even sex can be a miserable experience, if it goes on for too long

so they tell me but i've never had that problem.....

ps.
happy is not the only relative term involved here. short/long being the other important relative binary.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
If you were happy all the time, would you even know it?
Of course... I'm clapping my hands. *clap* *clap*

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go for the long, miserable life. The longer I live, the more chances I have to change my lot in life, and be less miserable.

I've also been the one left behind when a friend who (I believe) lived a short, happy life died, aged 21. The pain and misery her family felt at her death is something I don't wish on my family at all, and so if they want me to keep on living, I will.

But I don't believe that anyone should ever have to choose between those two options. Life is what you make of it. Happiness is a choice, not something that just happens or doesn't happen. You can notice that the glass is half full, and be glad that you've got something to drink, or you can notice that it's half empty, and spend your life wishing for more.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
But can you clap with just one?
I didn't think they called that "clapping" :D

Sireen

Registered
Reaction score
Long and misearable because living is wonderful. Because there is so much to learn, see, taste and experience.

The Commatose Kidd

color me gone
Registered
Reaction score
FlyByNight said:
It is the first Nobel Truth that the nature of life is suffering. It is from our attachment to this sentient existance that this suffering arises. We all have the power for freedom from suffering. There is a path, and it is not found in death, but within the gift of life that we all are so lucky to be experiencing. Instead of dwellling on what you might percieve as an unhappy existance, you would be better suited to address the issues that are the cause of your suffering. The length of your life is unimportant, all you have is the now -- it is up to you to make it "happy".

excerp from The Children of the Chalice-

"I found his reply impressive. Like a child, he just wanted to be here now. It’s a noble act to live completely in the present moment, minus the obligatory timeline mentality necessary to amass possessions and wage war, always living for tomorrow and never fully appreciating the present moment; the only real moment. Time truly is the fire in which we burn.
Mostly just smiling at each other, we spent the next ten minutes sipping more wine as I drank of his presence, timelessness, and ‘nowness’. I found it infectious. For a while I forgot about the mission and just enjoyed existing. Grinning joyously, for a brief moment I stepped outside myself and felt one with a universe I belonged in, rather than one I felt at odds with, striving to make it conform to my wants. It was marvelous. I had often felt this way earlier in my life, especially in my youth, before developing desires beyond simple play.
For the first time in over a century I laughed out loud at nothing. You do that in the ‘now’. If you live in the ‘now’ you feel so complete you desire for nothing. If you desire for nothing you have no need for plans. If you have no plans you won’t suffer the soul killing phenomenon of timeline mentality, where you either live looking forward to the future or regretting the past, but not truly experiencing the present.
Nothing can be everything.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
Then what is the sound of one hand clapping? And if a tree fell in the forest, and no one was there to hear it, would it still make a sound?
I got it, I got it. Unfortunately, my reply wasn't as witty as I'd thought.

The Commatose Kidd

color me gone
Registered
Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
Then what is the sound of one hand clapping? And if a tree fell in the forest, and no one was there to hear it, would it still make a sound?

no, only vibrations. it takes a receiver for sound.

i also know which came first, the chicken or the egg. the egg.

but i don't know-
if a mime died all alone in an invisible room, would anyone care?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
When you are young and happy, you don't want to die yet.

There are regrets.

When you are old and had a long, miserable life .......you might be ready to die.

Although I picked short and happy - I should have checked "long and miserable."

As Yeshanu said :

I'd go for the long, miserable life. The longer I live, the more chances I have to change my lot in life, and be less miserable.

I've also been the one left behind when a friend who (I believe) lived a short, happy life died, aged 21. The pain and misery her family felt at her death is something I don't wish on my family at all, and so if they want me to keep on living, I will.

But I don't believe that anyone should ever have to choose between those two options. Life is what you make of it. Happiness is a choice, not something that just happens or doesn't happen. You can notice that the glass is half full, and be glad that you've got something to drink, or you can notice that it's half empty, and spend your life wishing for more.

When someone dies young (my brother age 29) it causes alot of suffering for those left behind. I used to ask why he died instead of me, when he was so much more talented than I was.

Luckily for me, he reincarnated into my daughter - but that's another thread entirely.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
When someone dies young (my brother age 29) it causes alot of suffering for those left behind. I used to ask why he died instead of me, when he was so much more talented than I was.

I had those same thoughts about my friend, and later my sister.

It's interesting over twice as many would rather die young and happy then become old and miserable.

I simply think of all the writing I could accomplish if I lived to become a crotchety old curmugeon.

Yeah, and we won't have all those young, happy people around to bug us, Shadow. :D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, short & happy over long & miserable by a landslide. And I am deathly afraid of death... if that's possible.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I refuse to answer the polls and questions regarding length or prosperity of a life. . . . it just makes me uncomfortable that what I wish for may or may not come true. . . . plus, there is never any happy medium. . . what about a middle, melancholy life?

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Our pastor said once it only takes about 3 days for us to become accustomed to something, then we get bored and want more. (Does that make us unhappy? Or do we choose to be unhappy because we've got a Ram 3500 but now want a Hummer ... J/K!) His theme was contentment. So I don't know if I want a long life or a short one. I'd like to have the right attitude through out.

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.