Hugo Awards 2017

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to nominate in the 2017 Hugo Awards, you need to have been a member of MidAmeriCon II, or become a member of WorldCon 75 (Helsinki, Finland) or WorldCon 76 (San Jose, California, USA) by January 31, 2017.

Links go to the registration pages for the conventions.

In addition to the regular Hugo Categories, WorldCon 75 has decided to run a special category of Best Series, based on the wording of a change to the World Science Fiction Society (WSFS) constitution that was passed this year at MidAmeriCon II. The change hasn't been ratified yet but WorldCons can add one category to the Hugos under certain circumstances if they wish. See the announcement at File 770.

(I do not speak for WorldCon 75 in this matter. Just posting here as an interested fan.)

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
2017 will be a trial run for Best Series; the rule changes to make it a permanent thing will have to pass the next Worldcon meeting to be final and there should be room for amendments before doing so.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
So it this every series with a book that came out in 2016? I see Dune on the list, but as "new Dune" has so little resemblance to "real Dune" I'm not really sure how that works.

Come to think of it, by that definition, I'm eligible! (ho ho...)

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So it this every series with a book that came out in 2016? I see Dune on the list, but as "new Dune" has so little resemblance to "real Dune" I'm not really sure how that works.

I've sometimes wondered how it would work with a series (trilogy for instance) that came out over several years. This makes sense.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I have not yet let go of the irrational hope that I might actually manage to make it to Helsinki.

I like that they're trying to figure out how to deal with series. Whether or not this particular iteration (or the next) works, I think it makes a lot of sense to try.