Sleep

CapnJack

Registered
Reaction score
So I ended up not sleeping last night. Caught a few hours this morning, but I know that I'm going to pay for this today.

It's never been diagnosed, but I have insomnia. Always have, probably always will.

Anyone else like me?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've always had bouts of it. But lately all I want to do is sleep. I'm not sure why either comes on or off.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
So I ended up not sleeping last night. Caught a few hours this morning, but I know that I'm going to pay for this today.

It's never been diagnosed, but I have insomnia. Always have, probably always will.

Anyone else like me?

I either can't sleep or can't stay awake. There seems to be no middle ground. Just found out last week I have a thyroid problem as well as very low vitamin D and B12/B6 that contributes to my inability to stay awake. But I think it's stress that keeps me up on the nights I can't sleep. So much runs in circles in my mind and I can't quiet it.

CapnJack

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been told I have an overactive brain.

Sometimes it just won't turn off.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is the worst insomniac I know. It's better since he's no longer working, and he probably totals six hours sleep out of every 24, but almost never more than three or four hours during the night. (Hurray for naps!)

He says he's fine with this and refuses to consider a sleep clinic or other medical intervention, so I roll with it so long as he doesn't keep me up. The only time it's a problem is when we travel and he's awake in a hotel room where I'm trying to sleep--and later the same day, he's wiped out when I've still got energy left.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My insomnia seems to be related to three things:

--hormones: certain points during my cycle I am more likely not to be able to sleep.
--stress: if I'm overly stressed, I can't sleep, which just piles on the stress.
--overactive brain: if I'm chewing through something creatively, sometimes the noggin does not want to shut up.

I work toward mitigating the stress as a general thing. Overactive brain can sometimes be shut down by certain activities or by meditation. Can't do a damn thing about the hormones, so I tend to just lay in bed and relax.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being deaf :deaf: helps my sleep interruption problem.

I need to get up and go to the bathroom every two-three hours. We live in a train town with forty-'leven crossings. Every train is required by law and the evil code of engineers to blast horns all the way through each one. If Kay has to get up for any reason, she can't get back to sleep for all the racket.

I have no problem with planes, trains, and automobiles and am :sleepy: after counting one and a half sheep.

CapnJack

Registered
Reaction score
My Mom has never let me have a TV in my room. Not because she didn't love me, but because she loves me enough to know if I have one, I'll never go to sleep.

magster

Registered
Reaction score
I know my insomnia is from a previous long bout of stress. I didn't test, but I guessed my adrenals were still working overtime (that is, the flight and fight mode did not know how to switch off), or I am low in serotonin (hormonal), melatonin (maybe using computer until late at night and tv lights and cell phone cause that "light" issue - since melatonin is produced in darkness).

I tried several things - herbal supplements (I Sleep Soundly), 5-htp, glycine, turkey broth (contains tryptophan), and herbal teas. If they worked, that lasted no more than a week, yet reviewers say they have had great success. My latest supplement was Californian Poppy (not the opium variety) and that worked the first few days, even had vivid dreams.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I've used Melatonin supplements for sleep and they helped. Have you considered seeking natural remedies? Meditation or relaxation techniques? Or seeing a doctor? My problem biggest problem with insomnia is the massive headaches I have the following day, my inability to function at a normal level, and my quick temper. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't worry about it, as I tend to get a lot done during quiet evening hours.

Also, I've found I can't sleep with "active brain" either. I can't sleep if I have things running around in my head. So, I get up, grab my trusty notebook, and jot down everything. I make lists or sometimes I write in a journaling style, but I WRITE IT DOWN. Then I tell myself I can forget worrying about it because I'll still remember in the morning (because I can just read my entry) and I sleep a LOT better. Might be worth trying? I don't know.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I have the bipolar disorder and if I don't take my meds, I won't sleep, I'll go manic.

Sometimes I still can't sleep or it takes hours to fall asleep. When I close my eyes, I try to focus on the images that appear and try TRY to be quiet and not narrate those images (which I tend to do too.)

I am ALL for naps. I nap every day between 12 and 3 and wake up refreshed. I usually get a better sleep during my naps than at night.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have sleep problems. I tend to have trouble dropping off (especially if I have to go to bed early), and once I'm asleep, I think I could literally sleep for ten or more hours if something else didn't wake me up. I never feel completely rested, even if I log in 8-9 hours, so I suspect I have a sleep quality issue. It doesn't help that I'm a night owl who tends to stay up until 2-3 or so and sleep really late in the morning, even into early afternoon. If I have to get up early and go to bed early, I usually don't drop off until 4 AM or so, and then the alarm goes off 3-4 hours later, and I'm a zombie all day.

My work schedule has allowed me to go to bed late and sleep late lately, but there's always something or someone trying to destroy my sleep anyway: ringing phones, neighbors doing loud yard work in the morning, husband leaving window open in morning when it's cool but it gets impossibly hot in the bedroom by 10 AM or so, appointments that couldn't be scheduled in the afternoon, dog agility trials (seems like there's something that forces me get up early at least 1x a week).

And of course the guilt and shame that comes from being a night owl in a morning bird world. The problem is, I like being awake late at night when my time is open ended and my own and I can read, write, or play a computer game as long as I want, until I can't keep my eyes open any longer. Even if I could, getting up earlier to have a couple of hours to myself in the morning doesn't have the same pleasure, because I know I'll have to stop at a certain time to get ready for work.

Last edited:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you suspect you have a sleep disorder, such as insomnia, it’s quite possible you’re correct and the best way to determine it for certain is to go to a sleep disorder clinic. I promise, they don’t shove probes up your arss.

I suspected my mother had a sleep disorder and I contacted a sleep disorder clinic myself ‘to gather more information’ (←took things into my own hands because the beast was becoming a monster). It made the world of difference in her life. She was diagnosed (upon only one overnight stay) with moderate, borderline severe, insomnia. In her case, Ambien was the miracle med that solved the beast-to-monster problems. She was a brand new person, a much more well-rested person, who was seizing a better life with both hands.

However, my mother also suffered from clinical depression/borderline manic and was also taking Prozac. There was no problem with mingling the meds, the problem was an ignorant person who talked her into cold-turkey quitting her meds. Their reasoning: ‘Why take all that crap? Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.’ This person was her own father, my own grandfather.

This ignorant conversation between them was unbeknownst to me because she hid it well under the guise of, ‘It must be the flu, or something I ate,’ when I questioned why she was so ill one evening, as she was unable to keep from vomiting. I found her the next day, dead, and it was the most terrible thing to have happened to her, or to me. Though it’s recommended that you don’t suddenly stop taking Prozac, it was the Ambien that she shouldn’t have quit taking without the gradual-reduction protocol.

She had the rest of her life ahead of her, and because she was so impressionable—so easily influenced, which was always her hardship in life: listening to the wrong people—she died, and her death was caused by the negligent ignorance of the very man who gave her life. But for a brief moment, life was normal for her… and it was great. And I miss her more than I could ever capture properly in a black-and-white written way. What I wouldn't give or sacrifice to have her back...

Final thoughts: Get diagnosed, (and hopefully) have a well-slept good life, do your own research on your meds because this is your life and the last thing you want is to take risks with it… and you never know who else will suffer if you’re not around.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This ignorant conversation between them was unbeknownst to me because she hid it well under the guise of, ‘It must be the flu, or something I ate,’ when I questioned why she was so ill one evening, as she was unable to keep from vomiting. I found her the next day, dead, and it was the most terrible thing to have happened to her, or to me. Though it’s recommended that you don’t suddenly stop taking Prozac, it was the Ambien that she shouldn’t have quit taking without the gradual-reduction protocol.

Oh my god, that's horrible. I'm so sorry about your mom. Was the person who told her to cold turkey all these meds and bootstrap her mental health issues a health care provider? If so, it sounds like a possible grounds for malpractice.

Not that this would bring your mom back.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was the person who told her to cold turkey all these meds and bootstrap her mental health issues a health care provider? If so, it sounds like a possible grounds for malpractice.

Unfortunately, it was her father. When I came to him (my grandfather), confused and not understanding why the coroner (who was also confused because some of the meds she was on should've been detectable up to two weeks after last dosage) said the toxicology results indicated no drugs in her system, my grandfather broke down in tears and admitted how it was possible: that his previous comments—their conversations—may have been why all her recently filled prescription bottles were empty, but not in her bloodstream. She'd flushed them after listening to his misguided advice. It was a shocking blow for me and I never spoke to him again after that. So, the only one I could've brought to court for her wrongful death was him, and because of what she would've wanted, I couldn't do that... but it was tempting.

To everyone: Do your own research on your health and meds. It is your life, after all, so live it knowledgeably.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
If you suspect you have a sleep disorder, such as insomnia, it’s quite possible you’re correct and the best way to determine it for certain is to go to a sleep disorder clinic. I promise, they don’t shove probes up your arss.

I suspected my mother had a sleep disorder and I contacted a sleep disorder clinic myself ‘to gather more information’ (←took things into my own hands because the beast was becoming a monster). It made the world of difference in her life. She was diagnosed (upon only one overnight stay) with moderate, borderline severe, insomnia. In her case, Ambien was the miracle med that solved the beast-to-monster problems. She was a brand new person, a much more well-rested person, who was seizing a better life with both hands.

However, my mother also suffered from clinical depression/borderline manic and was also taking Prozac. There was no problem with mingling the meds, the problem was an ignorant person who talked her into cold-turkey quitting her meds. Their reasoning: ‘Why take all that crap? Pull yourself up by your bootstraps.’ This person was her own father, my own grandfather.

She had the rest of her life ahead of her, and because she was so impressionable—so easily influenced, which was always her hardship in life: listening to the wrong people—she died, and her death was caused by the negligent ignorance of the very man who gave her life. But for a brief moment, life was normal for her… and it was great. And I miss her more than I could ever capture properly in a black-and-white written way. What I wouldn't give or sacrifice to have her back...

Final thoughts: Get diagnosed, (and hopefully) have a well-slept good life, do your own research on your meds because this is your life and the last thing you want is to take risks with it… and you never know who else will suffer if you’re not around.

I'm so, so sorry to read this. Geez, that is heartbreaking. Thanks for the great advice and for sharing your story.

@LeaLately

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss. I too have a problem with being easily influenced and manipulated. I am a proverbial doormat. I am working on it. I hope the others in this thread can learn from her example and there is no more loss of life.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
When I worked I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. When I first retired I would have insomnia for like three nights running. It's gotten better now, and like you, sometimes I can't sleep and sometimes I can't stay awake.
I either can't sleep or can't stay awake. There seems to be no middle ground. Just found out last week I have a thyroid problem as well as very low vitamin D and B12/B6 that contributes to my inability to stay awake. But I think it's stress that keeps me up on the nights I can't sleep. So much runs in circles in my mind and I can't quiet it.

8083c9_6912d1b6f95f4803bff00e207e4b94d2.gif
I slept through Hurricane Opal. :roll:
Being deaf :deaf: helps my sleep interruption problem.

I need to get up and go to the bathroom every two-three hours. We live in a train town with forty-'leven crossings. Every train is required by law and the evil code of engineers to blast horns all the way through each one. If Kay has to get up for any reason, she can't get back to sleep for all the racket.

I have no problem with planes, trains, and automobiles and am :sleepy: after counting one and a half sheep.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I've been sleeping pretty well for the past 2 years. The anti-depressant I'm on seems to help me sleep, although it does nothing else for me. (At higher doses, it causes hallucinations and tremors. Fun times. Luckily I only require a low dose to help with sleep.) Before that, I'd had some pretty severe problems for a few months. I remember not getting any sleep at all some nights, or less than an hour, and I certainly do not miss counting 4 hours of sleep as a good night.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Antidepressents and sleep, bleh. I wish they helped me. I started zoloft a while back, and it made me sleepy but also queasy, so I asked the doctor to change the prescription. We tried citalopram (celexa) instead, which I'd used successfully for depressed mood a few years back, albeit with weight gain, but this time it gave me raging insomnia and made my gut hurt like I had acid indigestion (and you can't mix proton pump inhibitors like tagamat or pepcid with SSRIs either). So I stopped that one too, and now I'm wondering what in the hell to do about being depressed and no energy and sleep disturbances without continually bugging my doctors and doing the whole antidepressant roulette game. Will this one make me feel sick? Will this one make me not be able to have orgasms? Will this one make me gain weight (and my doctor has told me in no uncertain terms that I need to lose weight and some of my physical symptoms would likely improve if I do)? Will this one make me even more insomniac?

The worst thing about being a self-admitted depression sufferer is that doctors will automatically discount any physical symptoms I'm having as being because of the depression, and say I just need to start taking my citalopram again (even though it hurts my gut and makes me lie awake with racing heart at night). As if people with depression can't also get other, unrelated ailments.

Argh!

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Antidepressents and sleep, bleh. I wish they helped me. I started zoloft a while back, and it made me sleepy but also queasy, so I asked the doctor to change the prescription. We tried citalopram (celexa) instead, which I'd used successfully for depressed mood a few years back, albeit with weight gain, but this time it gave me raging insomnia and made my gut hurt like I had acid indigestion (and you can't mix proton pump inhibitors like tagamat or pepcid with SSRIs either). So I stopped that one too, and now I'm wondering what in the hell to do about being depressed and no energy and sleep disturbances without continually bugging my doctors and doing the whole antidepressant roulette game. Will this one make me feel sick? Will this one make me not be able to have orgasms? Will this one make me fat? Will this one make me even more insomniac?

I feel your pain. I have been on so many meds that I can't keep track of them. SSRIs frequently cause me sleep problems, and I've failed to respond to so many SSRIs at this point that we are not bothering to try any more of them since it is unlikely I will respond. The one that seems to help me sleep is a TCA (anafranil). I have given up on finding a med that will help my depressed mood because all this trying and failing is doing more harm than good. The help with sleep seems to be all I can get.