PDA

View Full Version : Things that scared the pee-wadding out of you as a kid and still do!

shakeysix
09-30-2016, 06:36 AM
The other night I was in my kitchen cutting up potatoes for supper. There was a big pot of boiling water on the stove. I usually make enough mashed potatoes for potato pancakes through the week. It was warm, but not warm enough for the a.c so the windows were open. My house is the last in town, empty fields on two sides.

The house across the street is vacant. My neighbors to the east were gone. Very quiet. Lots of stars shining through the kitchen windows because the lone streetlight on the corner is out. I have reported this to the city office since the middle of the summer. They say they will get around to it and I am sure they will. It's not like St. John Kansas is a high crime area.

Still, I kept looking over my shoulder and could not figure why. The cat was not helping. She was making a weird yodeling noise, She always makes this when she finds her favorite toy but it was still creepy. I put my knife in the knife block and then, out of nowhere, something fairly heavy went whack! into the side of my house. I screamed, spooking out the cat. At least she shut up and ran. I had to sit down until my hands stopped shaking.

I knew I should go outside and see what hit the house but I was frozen with this stupid, stupid fear that whatever hit the house was from outer space. In fact I was pretty sure it was a miniature flying saucer. I picked up a knife and a flashlight but couldn't scrape up the nerve to walk outside. Maybe if the neighbors had been home. On the other hand I did not want to call anyone, especially not the St. John police, because, irrational as it might seem, I realized I was being haunted by a tv show I had seen when I was ten years old!

I slept on the sofa that night, at least until my back was so crimped up that even a mini spaceman couldn't faze me. In the morning I checked the house and yard. No Tunguska sized meteors, no space junk, not even a dead owl. I have no idea what hit the house but I had to face up to some hard facts: I really do believe that a miniature spaceship might fly into my attic some dark night and no power on earth will ever convince me otherwise. When on an airplane I never take a seat over the wing if at all possible and if I have to take a seat by the wing, no way I will look out that window because I know there is a leering gremlin perched on the wing. Tunguska event? Saw a documentary on it as a kid. Sonic booms are always possible Tunguskas to me.

I'm not the only one. My sister is haunted by the flocks of birds that gather around the fields eating the leftover grain, this time of year. No kidding. She will not get out of the car unless in an urban setting. She also hates and fears grasshoppers because of "The Good Earth" which she saw in grade school.

Let's share irrational fears. --s6

Marlys
09-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Mirrors at night. I'm fine with them during the day, but when I was a kid I read too many stories about people seeing everything from the Devil to ghostly reenactments of horrible murders in mirrors. I'm mostly over it, but there are still plenty of times I'll put my hand up to block my view of the bathroom mirror if I get up to pee in the middle of the night.

grandma2isaac
09-30-2016, 07:21 AM
I guess not being liked. We moved a lot when I was a kid, so we were always the "new kid". I have always felt uncomfortable around others. I always say I have no fears, but I think having others not like me or judge me are the fears I have always had.

shakeysix
09-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Mirrors at night? Oh, yeah. I have a friend who is so afraid of seeing something spooky in a dark mirror that she has trained herself to go to the bathroom with her eyes closed. She is a high school teacher. I wasn't invited to a birthday party in the third grade. I was new to the school and remember vividly sitting on the swings while everyone else got an invitation. later the girl's mother called and apologized to my mom for forgetting me. My mom was ticked at me for not speaking up. Jeez. Talk about scars! There is nothing worse than being excluded. --s6

tiddlywinks
09-30-2016, 08:06 AM
When you're in bed, it's the middle of the night and pitch black...and you hear a door creak open somewhere in the house. Heart in throat moment.

As a kid, my bedroom was in the basement. And the laundry room door would sometimes pop open on a really humid night when it didn't completely shut in the frame. Of course it squeaked. And I would lay there in my bed, huddled under the covers, going ohcrapohcrapohcrap because my room was at the far end of the basement and the laundry room was right next to the stairs. Trapped!

I've been known to get up with my baseball bat and check the place, even though I know it was the wind from a window left open, etc. But it gets me every time.

Brightdreamer
09-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Dragging dreams. I've had them on and off since I was a kid: I'm in bed, in the dark, and some unseen force is dragging or shoving me around. There's no purpose or point, other than Something demonstrating that It's in total control and there's nothing I can do... some manner of malicious or malevolent force. At the time, they feel very, very real and very terrifying; I've often wondered if they're a form of sleep paralysis or night terror or some other unusual brain misfiring. Doesn't make them any more pleasant. (They're not as when I was a kid, when I have them now; back then, I'd almost be lifted clean out of bed in the dream by It. They seem to possibly be associated with stress.)

shakeysix
09-30-2016, 08:31 AM
There is a creaking door in my sisters house only we can never figure out where it is. We hear it but when we check we can't see that any door has moved. Even my ex-Navy brother in law refuses to go upstairs and check.

Dragging dreams? Never heard of them but how creepy! Recurring dreams are especially unnerving because you keep thinking there must be a reason behind them. Ever thought about it? --s6

lizmonster
09-30-2016, 08:45 AM
I guess not being liked. We moved a lot when I was a kid, so we were always the "new kid". I have always felt uncomfortable around others. I always say I have no fears, but I think having others not like me or judge me are the fears I have always had.

It's amazing how many writers share this one. We're choosing the wrong business, I think. :)

For me: slowed-down voices, probably due to too many times playing my parents' 45s at 33-1/3 by accident. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY scared the daylights out of me.

Also flat ceilings when I'm sleeping. And stingrays.

shakeysix
09-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Stingrays I can see but Space Odyssey? What scared you? The apes or the obelisk? Space Odyssey at the Drive In was my first experience with a bong. Guess I was comfortably numb. --s6

nossmf
09-30-2016, 09:31 AM
Never had a fear of spiders until the night I had a sleepover at my best friend's house. In his room he had a large aquarium with a tarantula, always a crowd pleaser for teenagers.

That night we watched Arachnophobia in the dark. Creepy stuff. As the credits roll I glance around the room and lock my eyes on the aquarium. The EMPTY aquarium. I accused my friend of intentionally pulling his pet out just to scare me, but he vehemently denied it. We immediately turned on the lights and refused to go to bed until that blasted spider was found (after we'd suitably armed ourselves with baseball bats and whatnot first). It was a very long three hours, I tell you what.

Since then I have no problems with spiders during the day, but at night if I'm sleeping above the covers and something tickles my leg hairs I come awake swinging. I can usually ignore a stray breeze because it hits multiple hairs at once, it's when a single hair is touched. My new kitten discovered this fact the hard way when one of his whiskers grazed my leg a few weeks back only to get kicked across the room. He hasn't tried to sleep with me since.

Roxxsmom
09-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Having to reach my hand down a garbage disposal to remove something that's stuck there. It's slimy and gross, but I also have this irrational terror that the switch will somehow get flipped, and the whirling blades o' death will sever my hand. It doesn't help that my first boyfriend used to hover with his finger over the switch, laughing inanely when this happened (he knew it scared me and he was a sadistic bastard).

Heights. Actually, they scare me more now than they did when I was a kid. Rides where I'm suspended in a flimsy tram car from a wire make me nervous.

Throwing up. No one likes it, and of course it's unpleasant, but ever since I was a kid, it actually terrifies me far more than other unpleasant experiences. I can't even fathom how some people could be bulemic and do it on purpose. This fear makes me pretty meticulous about hand washing and tossing food where it's even remotely possible it's gone off, and no way in heck was I ever going to get pregnant :P

lizmonster
09-30-2016, 03:49 PM
Stingrays I can see but Space Odyssey? What scared you? The apes or the obelisk? Space Odyssey at the Drive In was my first experience with a bong. Guess I was comfortably numb. --s6

It's the slowed-down voice thing when HAL is being disconnected. "Daisy, Daisy..." I was bawling in the movie theater, my dad was horrified, and my parents wouldn't take me out.

Still creeps me out. Even the Futurama spoof creeps me out.

CassandraW
09-30-2016, 04:10 PM
those full height turnstyles in the New York subways. Not the ones with a single waist-high bar -- the ones where you have multiple bars running from floor to above your head. (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=new+york+subway+turnstiles&view=detailv2&qpvt=new+york+subway+turnstiles&id=5CD1364844DD1D4CDDEB9B2310FB6582553DB746&selectedIndex=15&ccid=jQRVzP3Y&simid=608006141505766576&thid=OIP.M8d0455ccfdd8b783399e28b6c8867eb9o0&ajaxhist=0) I hate going in to them and avoid them when possible -- I always feel like I'm going to be trapped or bludgeoned.

ap123
09-30-2016, 05:23 PM
those full height turnstyles in the New York subways. Not the ones with a single waist-high bar -- the ones where you have multiple bars running from floor to above your head. (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=new+york+subway+turnstiles&view=detailv2&qpvt=new+york+subway+turnstiles&id=5CD1364844DD1D4CDDEB9B2310FB6582553DB746&selectedIndex=15&ccid=jQRVzP3Y&simid=608006141505766576&thid=OIP.M8d0455ccfdd8b783399e28b6c8867eb9o0&ajaxhist=0) I hate going in to them and avoid them when possible -- I always feel like I'm going to be trapped or bludgeoned.

I honestly thought I was the only one.

Trams. Nope, never go to Roosevelt Island. And escalators. Saw a kid's shoelace get caught in one at Macy's on 34th St when I was about 6.

Tazlima
09-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Driving near flatbed trucks.

When I was a teenager, I was riding with my dad once on an eight-lane highway when, a bit ahead of us and a couple lanes over, a flatbed truck blew a tire and lost control. The bed of the truck sliced into the windshield of a nearby car like a razor blade, just at neck height for the driver and anybody unlucky enough to be in the passenger seat. From where we were, we couldn't see the occupant(s), but they had to have been decapitated. With the heavy, high-speed traffic, we had no choice but to zip on past and keep going.

We sat there for a moment, stunned. Then my dad said, in his always-calm tone, "I think we may have just seen someone die." That was all, and I didn't answer, because what else was there to say?

*Shudder* I know any car wreck could kill, but it's flatbeds that I stay away from when driving. Other cars present more of a vertical surface to impacts; there are crumple zones and airbags to help reduce the impact. There's no defense against a flatbed.

shakeysix
09-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Oh, HAL--Hell yeah. Back in, I want to say 2001, I had a computer that was taken over by a virus. We didn't know much about viruses back then but the thing started turning itself on at night. I'm a light sleeper, some would say paranoid, and the subtle click would wake me every time. Yeah--then that scene from 2001 would play like a loop while I tried to go back to sleep. I could just hear it say "I'm sorry Shannon." in that slow, rational/irrational voice. --s6

nossmf
09-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Anybody else having flashes of Final Destination while reading this thread?

shakeysix
09-30-2016, 06:34 PM
OMG. The kids at school tried to trick me into watching that thing one Halloween when we were supposed to be watching Caspar in Spanish. I put my fingers in my ears and jammed my eyes shut, yelling for the principal until they turned it off. I hate those creepy ones where Death becomes a machine.

Flatbed trailer plays right into that one. Ever see the one about the trucks that come alive and corner the people in a desert Sevenleven? Can't remember the name of that one but there was this big scary clown- head truck that was the ring leader! Years ago a woman, a woman that I knew, was killed on the highway outside Dodge City when a tire bounced off a flat bed. It hadn't been secured and it went right through her windshield. It killed her instantly. The car kept driving down the highway for a distance, careening and crossing lanes. Fortunately this was western Kansas so there was almost no traffic. Two teenagers finally got into the car and stopped it. When they did they recognized the dead woman as the mother of a classmate. My husband and I passed the accident scene driving home from visiting our daughter in college in Emporia.

I have to go to a medical appointment in the next town and will be on the highway for the next thirty minutes. Hope I don't see a clown headed truck. Or a flatbed full of unsecured junk. --s6

Tazlima
09-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Flatbed trailer plays right into that one. Ever see the one about the trucks that come alive and corner the people in a desert Sevenleven? Can't remember the name of that one but there was this big scary clown- head truck that was the ring leader!

Lol, that was "Maximum Overdrive." It was actually a Stephen King story, and the only film he ever directed. It... (how to say this within the bounds of RYFW)? It wasn't his best work.

That's awful about the lady killed by a tire. Now I'm even MORE freaked out by flatbeds!

Lissibith
09-30-2016, 07:15 PM
This is weird, but I'm pretty sure my fear of needles or enclosed computerized devices comes from... a Superman movie. Specifically the one where a computer wrapped someone in wires and turned them into like a robot >.>

Put me in a roller coaster? Awesome. Put me in one of those motion sim machines? Hell no. And the MRI I got last year was terrifying because part of my mind kept expecting it to grab me. :-/

robeiae
09-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Lol, that was "Maximum Overdrive." It was actually a Stephen King story, and the only film he ever directed. It... (how to say this within the bounds of RYFW)? It wasn't his best work.

Even Demi Moore and Emilio Estevez couldn't save it. *rolls eyes through the back of his head*

Anyway...sharks and small sailboats. I want nothing to do with either.

CWatts
09-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Anyway...sharks and small sailboats. I want nothing to do with either.

Continuing the aquatic theme - tsunamis and tidal waves. This may be from getting knocked around in Outer Banks surf as a kid, with the waves looking way bigger since I was small and not a strong swimmer. I regularly have nightmares about huge waves looming overhead, seemingly forever, and not being able to run away.

Gravity
09-30-2016, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=shakeysix;9956516]

I knew I should go outside and see what hit the house but I was frozen with this stupid, stupid fear that whatever hit the house was from outer space. In fact I was pretty sure it was a miniature flying saucer. I picked up a knife and a flashlight but couldn't scrape up the nerve to walk outside. Maybe if the neighbors had been home. On the other hand I did not want to call anyone, especially not the St. John police, because, irrational as it might seem, I realized I was being haunted by a tv show I had seen when I was ten years old!

I slept on the sofa that night, at least until my back was so crimped up that even a mini spaceman couldn't faze me. In the morning I checked the house and yard. No Tunguska sized meteors, no space junk, not even a dead owl. I have no idea what hit the house but I had to face up to some hard facts: I really do believe that a miniature spaceship might fly into my attic some dark night and no power on earth will ever convince me otherwise. /QUOTE]

You mean this one? :evil http://www.hulu.com/watch/440766

Tazlima
09-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Continuing the aquatic theme - tsunamis and tidal waves. This may be from getting knocked around in Outer Banks surf as a kid, with the waves looking way bigger since I was small and not a strong swimmer. I regularly have nightmares about huge waves looming overhead, seemingly forever, and not being able to run away.

Oh!
I have another one, although it's been years since I lived anywhere I had to worry about either, so I'd forgotten.

In sixth grade, I lived in Hawaii, and I worried all the time about, 1) Volcanos, 2) Tidal waves, and most of all 3) What I would do if both happened at once.

If a vocano erupted, I could run for the ocean. If there was a tidal wave, I could get to high ground. But if the destruction came from both directions at the same time? Nobody ever says, "Flee for middle ground!"

Cobalt Jade
09-30-2016, 08:16 PM
There was a commercial for Woolite when I was a small child about clothes coming to life and zipping out of the closet, talking and gesturing as if invisible people were inside of them. To this day I HAVE to keep the closet door closed at night. I'm OK with clothes hanging outside of the closet, but they can't be folded or arranged in a way that looks like people may still be inside of them.

I consider the Dr. Suess story What Was I Afraid Of? on par with Steven King. (My nieces rationalized it my saying, "I think there really was a little person inside of those pants.")

CassandraW
09-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Is anyone else afraid of Demon Bear (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYr0GA22vGE)?

I assume clowns go without saying. Clowns are terrifying.

oh! oh! Raggedy Ann! Seriously, I refused to have a Raggedy Ann doll as a kid and she still creeps me out.

nighttimer
09-30-2016, 08:33 PM
This being the film, TV & theater thread I can say two scenes from two films featured the same actor and scared me silly.

Kane can't keep his food down (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYuF6TI1dI).

Winston Smith goes to Room 101 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3U83QLoATU).

John Hurt is an actor who will suffer for his art. :scared:

Myrealana
09-30-2016, 09:10 PM
When I was maybe 13, I decided to watch The Exorcist on HBO. I was home, babysitting my little brother, who was asleep in his room.

Partway into the film, my dogs started barking from their pen in the back yard. Letting them in required walking alone in the pitch black about 50 feet to the gate.

I couldn't do it. I stood there at the door completely incapable of stepping into the darkness. I tried for at least 20 minutes to actually get the dogs, and never did. I turned off the TV and sat on the sofa with every light in the house on and the dogs raising holy hell in the back yard until my parents got home.

Even now, when I think about that movie, I get edgy.

Laurasaurus
09-30-2016, 11:34 PM
Another one for slowed down voices.

Also, people moving suddenly and/or slightly too quickly. There's a film called Paperhouse where a little girl has a photo of her dad in her room, and one day she's looking at it or dreaming about it and the man in the photograph just suddenly walks towards her really quickly, and it is TERRIFYING.

Also cl*wns, obviously.

chompers
10-01-2016, 12:09 AM
When I was maybe 13, I decided to watch The Exorcist on HBO. I was home, babysitting my little brother, who was asleep in his room.

Partway into the film, my dogs started barking from their pen in the back yard. Letting them in required walking alone in the pitch black about 50 feet to the gate.

I couldn't do it. I stood there at the door completely incapable of stepping into the darkness. I tried for at least 20 minutes to actually get the dogs, and never did. I turned off the TV and sat on the sofa with every light in the house on and the dogs raising holy hell in the back yard until my parents got home.

Even now, when I think about that movie, I get edgy.
I nearly fell asleep during that movie! I didn't understand why it's so scary. Just a bunch of special effects.

But I don't scare easily. I started watching scary movies since I was like 5, and never had nightmares about them. I did quite enjoy the Ringu trilogy (the Japanese ones). Now THOSE were scary. And there was a Korean horror movie, I think it was called The Phone, which was really well done too. Didn't scare me like Ringu, but, man, that little girl could act!

For me, I don't really get scared of the what-could-happens, but if it were to happen, I'd be freaking out. Like airplanes crashing, tornadoes, falling off a tall building, someone creeping in the backyard, etc.

chompers
10-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Is anyone else afraid of Demon Bear (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYr0GA22vGE)?

I assume clowns go without saying. Clowns are terrifying.

oh! oh! Raggedy Ann! Seriously, I refused to have a Raggedy Ann doll as a kid and she still creeps me out.Annabelle?

K.L. Bennett
10-01-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure if there's a specific movie/TV show that spawned this other than just, like, alllll the horror movies I watched way too young, but I still have a hard time passing by darkened doorways or archways. In the house I grew up in there was a library to the left at the bottom of the stairs, and if I was going down to the kitchen in the middle of for water or whatever, I would jump over the banister about 3/4 of the way down just to avoid walking past the dark entryway into the study.

I....uh....am also scared of the Energizer Bunny. :scared:I had a recurring nightmare about him as a kid and he still gives me the heebie-jeebies big time.

ETA: Oh, and add me to the slowed-down-voices crowd. They could be reading a perfectly benign grocery list and I'd still shudder.

shakeysix
10-01-2016, 01:47 AM
Pennywise the Clown from It forced me to change my jogging route because it ran me past a big storm drain. AND I was 36 years old at the time!!!!! --s6

Teinz
10-01-2016, 05:19 PM
As I kid, I saw a werewolf movie once. The changing process bothered me for years. Couldn't find the movie I saw, but this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLQS12z8K4) covers the basics pretty well.

Werewolves don't scare me anymore. These days it's anything resembling the Ring or the Grudge that gets me. Or the Paranormal Avtivity movies. I remember, having seen the first one, I didnt dare to go pee in the middle of the night for quite some time. Didn't stop me from seeing the other ones, though.

Final scene from the Ring. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbO9LhD9PsI)

grandma2isaac
10-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I went out with an old boyfriend and some other friends when I was 15. We watched Friday The 13th. When I got home noone was there. My parents had left for the evening. There began to be noises all around the house. If I went to the back, the noises would be in the front, if I went to the front, they were in the back. When my parent finally got home I found out my brothers weren't with them...BRATS!

Also Salem's lot. My husband was still working, my baby son was asleep. We lived out in the country. Noone around for miles. Cattle out in the field behind the house. I woke up the baby and held him in my lap...not sure why this one got me, but I was a tad off kilter.

Laurasaurus
10-01-2016, 05:42 PM
As I kid, I saw a werewolf movie once. The changing process bothered me for years. Couldn't find the movie I saw, but this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLQS12z8K4) covers the basics pretty well.
Yep, that's the one that messed me up as a child too. And still does!
I think there was a horrific changing scene in The Howling too.

Actually, even the changing scene in Teen Wolf (the movie) scared the shit out of me. Werewolves are bloody scary.

bombergirl69
10-01-2016, 05:44 PM
As a kid, the childcatcher in Chitty chitty Bang Bang scared the shit out of me. Also, the death of Hamlet's father by having something poured in his ear inspired a lifelong habit of no short hair and always having pulling a hunk of hair over my ear when I sleep!!

And yes, tidal waves, sharks, plane crashes - I try to avoid movies about those things, even (except Jaws, I did see that!!!)

lizmonster
10-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Also, people moving suddenly and/or slightly too quickly.

Mama (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2023587/).

Also cl*wns, obviously.

My kid thinks it's funny to activate all the creepy clown models that are on display now at various stores for Halloween. I keep telling her NO IT IS NOT FUNNY ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND.

nossmf
10-01-2016, 08:16 PM
I was in my 20's when Sixth Sense came out. I saw it in theaters, was suitably surprised by the ending, enjoyed the movie without being the least bit spooked.

Until the drive home, that is. I was in California at the time, and going home from the theater involved driving along a coastal highway at 1am. I was the only person on the road, no manmade lights anywhere. Anybody who's been along the California coast knows how thick the fog can be. So there I am driving by myself, thick fog obscuring anything more than a few feet away, pitch black, the movie is still playing through my mind, silence in the car (I had the stereo off for some reason).

Suddenly I can see my breath fogging out of my mouth as I hit a cold air pocket.

Believe you me I floored the accelerator to get home, immediately turned on the Disney channel to watch Mickey Mouse cartoons for an hour before I could go to sleep. Big tough guy, in the military, freaked out like that. I've seen the movie multiple times since and never had that reaction, it was just a one-off, but wow.

mellymel
10-02-2016, 06:26 AM
Cockroaches. Any kind, any size. When I see one, I start shaking, my heart races, and I get nauseous. I've been afraid of them since I was a kid. I know it's stupid and completely irrational. It doesn't help that I live in Florida in a place where palmetto bugs are aplenty and where they even show up in our school. There was one half-dead and upside down in my classroom the other day and I still had all the afore mentioned reactions. I can't even watch them when they are in commercials on TV. I feel sick just talking/thinking about them now.

In terms of movies, there isn't anything that scares me (horror movies are my favorite movie genre). However, there are two movies that I saw as a teen/YA that scared the bejesus out of me and gave me troubles with sleeping for a couple of weeks: Nightmare on Elm Street and Candyman. Actually, just thinking about Candyman, to this day I cannot look in the mirror and say "Candyman" 5 times. For a long time, I had to turn my eyes away from the mirror because I would start thinking "Candyman" and just thinking it made me scared that it would happen.

grandma2isaac
10-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Sorry melly...I want to say a bit about them. I lived in Mississippi and the wood roaches had teeth. I lived in Florida, and they are huge, and fly. I don't find them frightening, but GROSS!

chompers
10-02-2016, 07:27 AM

Werewolves don't scare me anymore. These days it's anything resembling the Ring or the Grudge that gets me. Or the Paranormal Avtivity movies. I remember, having seen the first one, I didnt dare to go pee in the middle of the night for quite some time. Didn't stop me from seeing the other ones, though.

Final scene from the Ring. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbO9LhD9PsI) I fell asleep during Paranormal Activity. :P

Laurasaurus
10-02-2016, 05:31 PM
In terms of movies, there isn't anything that scares me (horror movies are my favorite movie genre). However, there are two movies that I saw as a teen/YA that scared the bejesus out of me and gave me troubles with sleeping for a couple of weeks: Nightmare on Elm Street and Candyman. Actually, just thinking about Candyman, to this day I cannot look in the mirror and say "Candyman" 5 times. For a long time, I had to turn my eyes away from the mirror because I would start thinking "Candyman" and just thinking it made me scared that it would happen.
You just typed it four times. You are playing with fire!

I love horror films but I watched the Elm Street films and IT way too many times as a teenager and had to ban myself. I literally couldn't sleep or ever relax, I was constantly imagining one of those two dudes was behind every door, or creeping up on me in bed or in the shower. I still wouldn't let myself watch them now.

Chrissy
10-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Those interstate ramps on an incline with a curve, so that for a stretch you see nothing but a (waaaay too low) concrete wall and blue sky. I always have to say, out loud: I'm okay! Everything is fiiiiiine!

Cooking with large amounts of hot oil, like a pot half-full, for french fries.

Gators. As a kid, I had a recurring nightmare that they were climbing up on my bed, jaws wide, as I kicked at them with bare feet.

nossmf
10-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Growing up my parents never showed us anything but Disney animated films. My first exposure to a scary movie was in third grade watching Gremlins during a sleepover. I literally did not sleep for 3 days after. Flash forward decades later I still can't make myself watch the movie. I've seen far worse scary movies just fine; I realize Blockbuster before it closed had Gremlins right next to Mary Poppins on the shelf. But Gremlins remains my nemesis.

lizmonster
10-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Oh, liquid nitrogen. Remember that X-Files episode with the twin of the frozen guy? Brrr.

And elevators. I read a horror story when I was a kid about a ghostly elevator operator who lured people in, only to have the cable snap and kill them all. If I have to go more than a few stories up, I am Not Happy.

Maze Runner
10-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Movies, Experiment in Terror. Life stuff, insanity, and I seem to draw that type.

tiddlywinks
10-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Ooh, I thought of a couple movie related examples. (This is kind of fun, though it makes me shudder as well...good idea shakeysix!)

My parents didn't let me watch any scary movies as a kid and I was banned from checking out Stephen King at the library (I got around that by reading Dean Koontz instead, but I digress). Anyway, my dad would go to the bedroom to watch his scary movies, and I'd watch through a crack in the door since he didn't always close it. I'd swear he knew I was watching and it was his way of letting me get around mom's ban without admitting to it :greenie

Couple scenes I remember that still cause heebie jeebies:

-don't know the movie, but a guy sticks his hand in the garbage disposal to fix something and I think his ring gets caught. The house is haunted and flips on the disposal switch. Yeah. I still pause any time I need to clear out something from the disposal. Or I make my husband do it.

-again, not sure what movie, but there were these wolves in the city and at one point, someone runs into them in a dark abandoned warehouse. All I can picture is glowing eyes in the dark slowly coming down the stairs...(which leads me back to other reasons why living in the basement gave me lots of sleepless nights)

-The Watchers. Horrible movie version, but it was scary at the time. And now as an adult, I don't want to own a golden retriever. It's not rational. And the dog wasn't the scary bit. But he brought the scary "it" along, so...

chompers
10-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Cooking with large amounts of hot oil, like a pot half-full, for french fries.
I'm too lazy to deal with that oil, so I always just bake them. It comes out just fine.

As an aside, and topic related, one thing I won't do is play with Ouija boards. Again, that whole taking preventative measures to not be scared out of my bones. I won't mess with that stuff. Don't mess with stuff you can't handle. I won't even touch the packaging.

Chrissy
10-03-2016, 02:02 AM
ha, healthier, too! I keep doing it (very, very carefully) because I don't want to give in to my paranoia.

I missed the point about the fears being tied to movies. I wasn't allowed as a kid. The first and only scary movie I watched was Carrie. I was 11, I think, and it was at a friend's house. It was enough for me to voluntarily avoid the genre for a very long time afterward. :scared:But, no phobias from it that I know of.

JenniferLee
10-03-2016, 02:12 AM
The computer and slowed voice in Space Odyssey didn't scare me, but the music!
bum...bum...bum... BUM-BUUUUM!
That music, to my mind, has always meant "OMG the world is gonna blow up and/or an ax murderer is gonna get me!"

Roxxsmom
10-03-2016, 02:25 AM
Night of the Living Dead scared me horribly as a child. It often seemed to be on TV late at night when my family was visiting my aunt and uncle and cousins for the weekend. The grown ups would go out to a party for an adult night on the town, leaving my oldest cousin "in charge" (she would maybe have been ten at the time, and I'm a couple of years younger and our brothers younger than both of us). The parents rarely got back before 12-1, and we always cheated on bedtime and stayed up to watch movies on TV. I can still remember huddling with my brother and cousins under a blanket on the sofa, and when we finally did go to bed, every thump, creak or scratch against the windows sounded like undead marauders who wanted to eat us (my oldest cousin "helped" by suggesting that this could be so and cheerfully informing me that there had been murders or disappearances in their neighborhood recently).

Though the special effects are cheesier to me now, the movie is still rather tense and creepy. Maybe its being in black and white contributes to this feeling.

nossmf
10-03-2016, 03:30 AM
Night of the Living Dead scared me horribly as a child. It often seemed to be on TV late at night ...

Breaking subject here, but as a parent I am really, really unhappy with TV for showing scary movies during the middle of the day throughout the month of October, right when little kids are getting home from school and turning on the set. When I was a kid they only came on after 10; now they're on any time of the day. And I'm talking about the hard-core scary movies, the Saws and Texas Chainsaw Massacres. For anybody thinking these are NOT scary movies, you're thinking as an adult, not as a grade schooler.

grandma2isaac
10-03-2016, 04:00 AM
Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hostel, and Silence of the Lambs ilk are freaky, The only part I found frightening in any of them was I think the third Saw where the girl had to go in the vat of needles...NOPE! But, yes, for children they are absolutely nightmare inspiring. How old are the kiddos?

nossmf
10-03-2016, 04:40 AM
My youngest is 8 and hides her face when she sees a Walking Dead calendar, let alone anything else.

Meanwhile my wife's friend has allowed her kids to watch horror movies from the age of 3 on. Call me old fashioned, but not for my little girl. (Her older siblings are 11 and 12, I'm less concerned about them since they have the brains to change the channel.)

BenPanced
10-03-2016, 04:58 AM
Though the special effects are cheesier to me now, the movie is still rather tense and creepy. Maybe its being in black and white contributes to this feeling.

That, and the way the main action is confined to either the living room or basement creates a tight, claustrophobic atmosphere.

They're coming to get you, Barbara!

Main thing for me, besides heights, is I cannot walk over grates or metal lift doors (used for deliveries when an alley is not feasible behind a building in an urban setting) in sidewalks. I'm fine with manhole covers or drains on street corners but when it's something in the middle of the sidewalk, I have to quickly skirt around it. No clue where this came from, though.

grandma2isaac
10-03-2016, 05:39 AM
Noss, could you set a separate list of channels that are appropo for her age and make sure it is on her channel list for when she comes home? A lot of the satellite and cable services have at least 2 channel lists and usually a parental guide setting. Once seen by a child they can never be unseen, sometimes to pop up after a long period of time in either nightmares, fears, or random discussions.

telford
10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Invaders from Mars. The original. Saw it sitting next you my mum. We didn't know what we were if for so turned the lights off. Big mistake. Still creepy to this day. Fears? I'm in the heights clan. And actually meeting someone who didn't like The Princess Bride. Brrrrrrr.

shakeysix
10-03-2016, 07:41 PM
We have a great family story about "the Exorcist"

Back in the day--1970s--my sister and Mom were reading the book. Together. It was on loan from the library. (Mom had started out refusing to have it in the house but then was pulled into it.) My sister was single, living at home (100 year old house, lots of rooms, lots of squeaks and creaks) and teaching school. There was a blizzard and a snow day so my mom and sister were home all day. My dad was on tower--at work in the oilfield some miles from home. He and his crew were caught in the blizzard and could not get out. No cell phones in those days and the land lines were out. That's what Mom and my sister surmised had happened when he didn't get home at 6 a.m. They spent the day baking, cleaning, reading.

My sister, Kim, was up reading late at night when she started hearing noises--animal noises. Like in the book she was reading. Now we live in a city, a fairly large city by Kansas standards, dern near 16,000 people. Our house is old but in a nice neighborhood of older homes with big yards--no barnyards, no barnyard animals for miles and miles. Not being a complete coward my sister stuck her head out the front and back door and skimmed a fishing light around the yard. The wind was howling, The snow was blinding but she definitely heard an animal like a calf or a piglet. That did it for her. She forgot that she was 24 years old and ran in to tell mom.

Of course Mom called her a baby and said that it was the wind but Mom was all bluster when Dad wasn't home. She barely stuck her head out the back door when she jumped back in and said Kim could sleep in her room till Dad got home. Later she admitted that she had seen eyes, yellow eyes behind a big bare, lilac, but did not want to frighten Kim.

Our family is not just Catholic but Batshit Crazy Catholic. The house is old and there is a cross over every doorway. No one even remembers who put the crosses up. But we all agree that they must have had a reason. So no one ever takes the crosses down. Just before dozing off, Mom assured my sister that nothing evil could cross a doorway protected by a cross but if it turned upside down be sure to wake her. Kim, having read almost two thirds of the Exorcist, knew that this was only blatant propaganda and the right devil could send that cross flying at them. (Mom swore to the day she died that she never said any such thing.) ( I'll bet she did.)

The storm died down about 3 a.m. Kim had heard rustling and bumping off and on all night so decided to check the yard for devils, poltergeists and disgruntled spirits. Naturally she woke Mom for back up. They stood on the back porch, shined the flashlight and there were cloven hoof prints in the fresh snow!!! Mom swore that there must be a reasonable explanation (I'll bet she didn't.) but Kim wasn't having any of it. (I know she wasn't.) So they went back to bed. Precipitously.

When dad got home at 4 a.m. he was surprised to see a baby goat bleating by our front gate. He took it by it's collar, followed its lead down the alley to a neighbor's garage and deposited it there. Later we learned that the goat was a pet of the neighbor's grandkids. They were worried about it surviving the blizzard in an unheated pen so the grandparents came, before the weather turned really ugly and took it and the grandkids home--the grandkids had a warm house but didn't want to be separated from their goat. The goat they put in the garage but it slipped out a side door and made it to our yard where it somehow got in the back gate but couldn't find its way out. Poor baby goat.

No one in my family ever finished The Exorcist. We took the goat as a sign from God. --s6

DancingMaenid
10-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Breaking subject here, but as a parent I am really, really unhappy with TV for showing scary movies during the middle of the day throughout the month of October, right when little kids are getting home from school and turning on the set. When I was a kid they only came on after 10; now they're on any time of the day. And I'm talking about the hard-core scary movies, the Saws and Texas Chainsaw Massacres. For anybody thinking these are NOT scary movies, you're thinking as an adult, not as a grade schooler.

It depends on the kid. I remember watching Silence of the Lambs when I was maybe six or seven, and it didn't scare me because I was too young to really appreciate what makes it scary. But the kid's show Are You Afraid of the Dark? completely freaked me out because it was designed to be scary for kids. I was also terrified by The X-Files, which was more creepy than gory.

I wouldn't introduce any young kids to Saw, but I think it's good for parents to recognize that their kids are individuals. The stuff I found unsettling or scary was never the same as what my parents found scary. My mom hates horror movies, and I actually felt let down when I started watching them because they weren't nearly as scary as she'd led me to believe.

cbenoi1
10-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Open oceans. Since 1975.

-cb

Will Collins
10-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Ghosts. :0

mellymel
10-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Sorry melly...I want to say a bit about them. I lived in Mississippi and the wood roaches had teeth. I lived in Florida, and they are huge, and fly. I don't find them frightening, but GROSS!

They are gross, but I also have an irrational fear of them. I don't think it helps that I grew up in Manhattan where they are PLENTIFUL. It didn't matter how clean you were, you would wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and when the lights went on, 4 or 5 of those nasty suckers went running. Also, (and this is terrible) when I was in the 7th grade, our science teacher told us a story about a woman who had a roach crawl in her ear while she was sleeping and laid eggs. INSIDE HER EAR. I don't know if this true possible or the science teacher just hated us and wanted to freak us out (she was mean), but I slept with a pillow over my head for 3 years. And there is something very fearful to me about the fact that roaches can survive a nuclear explosion. That is just not right. Roaches are an alien species. They have to be. It's the only thing to explain them. LOL

heza
10-03-2016, 10:08 PM
From movies and television, I know that if I walk by a mirror or window at night, I will NOT see the ghost/serial-killer/zombie/doll-that-isn't-where-I-last-left-it that's just behind me in the mirror. For some reason, the mirror must be involved. If there isn't a mirror for me to NOT see it in, then it's never really there. :P I was also super creeped out by this (I think it was) Tales from the Crypt where something was chasing this person but only when they looked in a reflective surface. Every time they caught a glimpse of it, it was closer. Lots of shows have done similar stuff since then and it always gives me chills. If I look at something shiny, like a doorknob, I try very hard to not actually "look" at whatever it's reflecting.

I also know that if someone records silence, you will hear something you don't like in the white noise when you play it back. Ghost Hunters gives me the creeps that way. They'll record themselves asking questions to an empty room and then play it back later and (though it's nearly indecipherable) add some terrible subtitle that's like, "The children are hanging in the attic..." And my brain is totally the kind that tries to hear words in white noise... *shivers*

I don't really get scared about exorcism type movies... I figure it's because I'm not Catholic. But we did, when I was a teen, rent the Exorcist III. (I think... I'm having trouble remembering.) Anyway, it was a really cold night, and so we had a fire going. To be "cozier," my mother and I pulled the couch up from the wall to the middle of the room to be closer to the fire. So we had this little U with the tv, cough, and fireplace... and lots of open space behind the couch. It didn't help matters that we had turned off most of the lights in the house. Whatever movie we were watching, there was this one scene that I remember as someone walking briskly down a hallway and passing by a corridor—so you could just see them as if you were standing at the far end of the corridor—and as they walked by, someone else swiftly followed them with a giant pair of open shears aimed at the back of their neck. They disappeared down the hall before the music made a dramatic "sssshink!" sound.

Needless to say, we were unable to keep the couch in the middle of the room with our necks exposed to all that space behind us.

grandma2isaac
10-03-2016, 11:37 PM
My son was so susceptible to people's opinions on what was frightening that when he was four and I took him to see E.T. his friend, who was coming out of the movie, said, "Oh man, that was the scariest thing I ever saw." As soon as Elliott threw the baseball and it came back, my son hit the floor. I almost didn't get him to stay in his seat most of the movie. It was hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Also, I could always tell when he would start becoming afraid as he would inch his way behind the chair I was sitting in.

Grayson Moon
10-13-2016, 09:08 PM
Things standing at the opposite end of my bed at night. Whether it was wolves try to eat me from the feet up, or hands reaching up and grabbing my ankles, I needed to tuck my feet in the covers to protect me from the horrors of the night. Of course, I'm not as terrified now as I was then... but of course, back then we didn't have Five Nights at Freddy's. Childhood nightmares brought to life, I tell ya!

shakeysix
10-13-2016, 09:47 PM
One Thanksgiving evening, maybe 20 years ago, my 10 year old niece picked a movie for us to watch as a family--Jurassic Park. We were all startled and amused when my father, a veteran of WW2, South pacific, screamed like a little girl when the velociraptors entered the scene! This was a man who never flinched at anything all the time my sibs and I were growing up--oilfield fires, an armed robbery, operating an amphibious tractor under Japanese fire--and here he was screaming? And not a manly scream-- a scream that would have embarrassed a seven year old. Not the scream you would expect from a 70+ year old ex-Marine.

So we all sat there, immobile, trying not to laugh, trying not to stare, trying not to choke on our pie and ice cream. Finally. Dad laughed a little and confessed that dinosaurs gave him the heebie jeebies and had ever since a grade school lesson on pre-historic life that included full color plates of dinosaurs eating dinosaurs. He claimed that there weren't that many color dinosaur plates in Las Animas, Colorado, back in the Dustbowl Days and that dinosaurs often stalked his dreams, solely because of those color pictures. As a teacher I would like to think that one of my lessons had made that big an impression on a student. --s6

dinky_dau
10-28-2016, 11:45 PM
For me it is the sound of dead silence in a still room; or anywhere which is so silent that you can hear the pulse of blood in your ears or other routine body noises such as digestion/itches/scratches. I'm terrified by 100% pure utter silence. I can't fall asleep in a dead-quiet bedchamber. I'd rather take a blanket and lay down in the kitchen by the refrigerator.

Jade Rothwell
10-31-2016, 11:40 PM
Bugs. I have this terror (sorry if this is graphic) that they're going to climb in my ears/nose/mouth and suffocate me from the inside. I have NO IDEA where this fear came from!