PDA

View Full Version : Following up on a follow up?

Lily.M
09-26-2016, 07:39 AM
Just wanted a quick bit of advice. I nudged an agent who's been working with me on my MS at the beginning of September, and her agent replied 'she's away right now, but will get back to you next week'. Well, next week is now three weeks ago, and I was wondering what the protocol is on another nudge? Do/Don't? How to word so as not to sound impatient? I know she's super busy, and I know I'm at the bottom of her priorities, but I was explicitly told 'next week'. Does this actually translate to 'in the far off future'? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Old Hack
09-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Is this a literary agent, or some other sort?

What work are you doing on your ms? Is she charging you money for this work?

Has she offered you representation?

Have you checked out that she's legitimate and well established?

Aggy B.
09-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Assuming this is a legitimate literary agent (i.e. not some one charging fees to help you with the manuscript or referring you to an editing service) who has either offered representation or asked for an R&R, then you should follow up again. I would nudge at the four week mark if this is in regard to an R&R. If you are a client (i.e. represented by said agent) I would probably nudge a little sooner.

"Next week" almost never means next week, but you shouldn't be afraid to be politely persistent in following-up on communication. (At one point I nudged my agent on something he had promised to get back to me on and he thought he had already sent his notes along the week before. Agents are busy, it happens.)

Best of luck! :)

Lily.M
09-26-2016, 06:17 PM
Is this a literary agent, or some other sort?

What work are you doing on your ms? Is she charging you money for this work?

Has she offered you representation?

Have you checked out that she's legitimate and well established?

Yes, she's a literary agent and very reputable. She has not offered representation but I've done and R&R for her, working closely with her intern who said '[Agent] and I are completely on the same page and she very much looks forward to reading your next draft. Intentions on our side would definitely be towards representation but [agent] would need to see radical changes in the right direction before moving forward] I met up with the intern when I was in London and we brainstormed, and I've subsequently done those revisions and am now waiting to find out if the were in the right direction :) No-one is charging me money, and I figure they wouldn't have put so much effort in if they weren't serious. She read my MS twice and made extensive notes, as well as printing the whole thing out. That's a lot of paper and ink! Thank you for your concern though :)

Lily.M
09-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Assuming this is a legitimate literary agent (i.e. not some one charging fees to help you with the manuscript or referring you to an editing service) who has either offered representation or asked for an R&R, then you should follow up again. I would nudge at the four week mark if this is in regard to an R&R. If you are a client (i.e. represented by said agent) I would probably nudge a little sooner.

"Next week" almost never means next week, but you shouldn't be afraid to be politely persistent in following-up on communication. (At one point I nudged my agent on something he had promised to get back to me on and he thought he had already sent his notes along the week before. Agents are busy, it happens.)

Best of luck! :)

Thank you! Yeah, I figure I'll nudge at the beginning of October. My nudges have been very well received so far, but I always fret. Aargh this wait!