Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh! Now, where's a good old Anglo Saxon expletive when you need one? :D

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I curse. A lot. & people often seemed surprised by it - apparently I have some kind of lady-like demeanor or something, plus a 'small voice' <-- their words, not mine - so apparently the effect is surprising. But that's good - cursing should have some kind of impact...

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I was raised in a very staunch, orthodox religion where even saying "shut up" would earn you a paddle. I believe this is why I swear with such enthusiasm and in such great quantities.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is so the best opening line to a novel (or memoir)...
Or a stage of life. My immediate reaction was "Fuck! I'm totally never swearing again until I have an eight-year-old grandchild!"

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I curse. A lot. & people often seemed surprised by it - apparently I have some kind of lady-like demeanor or something, plus a 'small voice' <-- their words, not mine - so apparently the effect is surprising. But that's good - cursing should have some kind of impact...
I have this effect too. I think it's because I'm petite so people sort of assume I'm sweet and innocent. To which I say fuck that.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Swearing can increase pain tolerance. Explains why certain choice words exploded from my dad's garage workshop when he hammered his thumb or cut himself.

My mom tried to raise us kids to be verbally nice, using expressions like "bullroar" instead of the more familiar version, and scolding us for vulgarity, even over mild words like "butt" or "fart." But with dad around, she hadn't a chance of civilizing us.

Last edited:

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
I curse a lot, but try not too. My SIL is Christian, so never says cruel or curse worthy words. My brother always teases her about "Shucky Darn", which she has never said. I have found that if I am super stressed or ticked and have the urge to rant in the language of a sailor, there are a few words that I find amusing as transfer curse words. These usually change my mood: Krikee, she's a biter (Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter), Shucky Darn (Bro teasing SIL), Holy Cannoli (just because), Christ on a Cracker (Penny, Big Bang Theory), There are others, but they are just short of curses, and funny to me.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
At moments which might call for swearing my mother in law can be heard exclaiming 'Oh, WORDS!'

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
My mom tried to raise us kids to be verbally nice, using expressions like "bullroar" instead of the more familiar version, and scolding us for vulgarity, even over mild words like "butt" or "fart."

Reminds me of the song in the South Park movie where the teacher tries to solve the vulgarity issue by teaching substitution. It wasn't especially effective...

Dana_B

...living on hammock time...
Registered
Reaction score
There's something physically satisfying about spitting out the word fuck and variations thereof-- fuckity fuck fuck just feels good to say in moments of need lol.

As a preacher's child growing up, even fart wasn't uttered out loud--until we were grown, then suddenly Mom developed a habit of saying shit or damn rather often. I wondered how hard she had to work to hold that back all those years :)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Can I mention Stephen Fry on the Joys of Swearing?

Well worth a watch.
There's also a good bit on Fry's 'Planet Word' series where he goes into swearing, and how (as Roxxsmom points out) swearing can reduce pain. He has Brian Blessed on to prove the point, and it's definitely worth a watch. (Whole episode is here. Blessed's bit comes in at about the 17 minute mark.
There's also a good bit of discussion with a young woman who has Tourette's and it's interesting hearing her talk. The big misconception is that Tourette's just makes you swear, but her major tick appears to be inserting the word 'biscuit' into sentences at random.

(Oh, and the best opening line to a novel is from Iain Banks's The Crow Road - 'It was the day my grandmother exploded'. :D)