Looking for info on modern nuns

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
For my latest book, I want to have a young nun as a character who helps out my MC. Problem is, I know nothing about modern nuns and next to nothing about Catholicism. I want her to be authentic, not stereotypical. Can anybody help me out? This is set in the California Bay Area (San Jose), if it matters. The character is in her early to mid-twenties, grew up in a rough Hispanic neighborhood with a lot of gang influence, and has felt from the time she was a young girl that she was called to the Church.

Specific things I'd like to know:

1. What is a nun's typical day like? Are there things she needs to do at specific times? How much freedom does she have?
2. What is the nun level above Novice, and what are typical duties this level might have?
3. What are some stereotypical things I should avoid? I know nuns don't wear the full habit often anymore, and some of them wear street clothes. Could she be a nun in jeans and a T-shirt?
4. Do nuns do exorcisms? This woman has minor magical ability (my series is urban fantasy) but doesn't know it--she just knows she's really good with helping the sick and injured. She also has an incident of demonic possession in her past (family member) and she was able to deal with it. But in the real world, are nuns allowed to do exorcisms, or is that only priests?
5. Would anyone at her church have an issue with her running around with a mid-thirties, unmarried university professor (my MC) as she helps him out? Would she be allowed to do so?

Thanks in advance for any help, and any other info you think would be useful (including reference reading).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The answers to 1, 2, and 3 depend entirely on what order, what the woman -- and/or the order -- does, etc. There is not one answer, or even close. Even within orders this can widely vary based on location, job, personal choice (which would depend on the order and convent's rules, etc. - I've known nuns from the same order, working in the same place - one wore a modified wimple (there's probably a name for that, but I don't know it, sorry), one wore jeans and tees, one wore modest street clothes, etc.) etc.

As for 4, no. :)

You might ask Calla Lily for actual expert help.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
Thanks, cornflake! See, I don't even know what I don't know! :)

As for the order, I have no idea. I think it's a bit flexible, based on which orders might be active in the east San Jose area. Sounds like I need to do a little research, there. There's no requirement that she be a member of a specific order, except that it can't be a super-restrictive one.

Hmm...nuns don't do exorcisms. That will actually work well for my story. She could feel conflicted about how she managed to do one but the Church won't let her use her "gift."

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Also, you could investigate convents in your area. Here is a list of convents and monasteries in California. Maybe you can visit one close to you. My father-in-law's cousin was a nun and we often went to the convent to visit. It wasn't a closed community, and the nuns were very friendly.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm not a Catholic. However, I lived in California and can tell you that the missions were founded by Franciscans. If you want your nun to be out in public, that would be a good order to look into. And Callalily here on AW is a former Franciscan nun.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal