PDA

View Full Version : For Comic Book Fans

Christine Lorang
04-29-2006, 10:44 AM
How much of a cliche is this concept:

The superhero's girlfriend, tired of being constantly kidnapped by supervillains, decides to buff herself up and/or acquire superpowers, either with the intention of joining him to fight crime, or just to make herself less of a target.

I know I can't be the first person to think of this...:idea:

L M Ashton
04-30-2006, 04:12 PM
My geeky comic loving freak of a husband says, "Not so much. I don't think it happens much." :)

Rabe
05-03-2006, 11:52 AM
And besides, if the girlfriend is getting kidnapped a lot by the supervillians, then the superhero has done something REALLY stupid with the revelation of his secret identity!

Most of the time the girlfriend is getting kidnapped because of something she did. Ala Lois Lane always poking her nose into things.

Also, superhero types usually date/marry other superhero types. Makes sense, I mean, you date within your own circles right? No different for superheros.

Rabe...

Aconite
05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Also, superhero types usually date/marry other superhero types. Makes sense, I mean, you date within your own circles right?Ho, boy. Flashback to "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex."

I need a brain brush.

Christine Lorang
05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks everybody. It's good to know that this hasn't been done that much, even if it's just because it's not very feasible...

And besides, if the girlfriend is getting kidnapped a lot by the supervillians, then the superhero has done something REALLY stupid with the revelation of his secret identity!

Most of the time the girlfriend is getting kidnapped because of something she did. Ala Lois Lane always poking her nose into things.

That's a good point and since this piece will be told from the girl's perspective, it might be fun to play with whether or not she acknowledges her own bad decisions. But mostly this idea started because I was getting annoyed with Mary Jane. At least Lois Lane can use her job as an excuse.

(This is where I admit that most of my Spidey knowledge comes from the movies. I do read quite a few comics but there's much more out there and I have a long, long way to go, especially with the classics.)

Also, superhero types usually date/marry other superhero types. Makes sense, I mean, you date within your own circles right? No different for superheros.

That's mostly when they are members of the same team, right? It's convenient for the writer too, since there's already a large cast to keep track of. Solo heroes seem a lot more likely to date civilians.

Ho, boy. Flashback to "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex."

Ack! Gee thanks, I almost went a whole three months without remembering that.

Charke
05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
In a recent Superman comic, Superman gives Lois a "potion", as a birthday gift I beleive, that gives her superman's abilities for a day and the comic explores what she does as super hero for a day.

The newest Batgirl has explored several relationships, often ending in disaster because she is much stronger than them or they are both superheroes.

Every one of Wolverine's wives/girlfreinds have died because of his enemies. This is minus his most current bride he unwillingly married because of a favor owed and she is a super-villian.

Generally "buffing up" by going to the gym still can not compete with a super-powered significant other. Most supper heroes fight over-muscled thugs for breakfast. The typical storyline involves the significant other gaining supper powers of their own for a brief period. It would depend greatly on the nature of the super powers involved.

The secret identity and weakness of loved ones is a major theme in comics but usually the status quo they return to after X issues keeps these non-powered people alive and well.

However, I've never seen a significant other go to the gym, just to be able to keep up with their superpowered husband/wife.

Mark Charke

Aries Walker
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Nope. It happens sometimes (Storm/Black Panther), and sometimes a couple will gain their powers after they're already together (The Wasp/Yellowjacket, and Mr Fantastic/Invisible Woman) but mostly, from my experience, the significant other is a non-super-powered one. Examples: Spider-Man, Captain America, The Thing, The Hulk, Superman, and so on.

I can think of one romantic couple which did what this whole thread is about, sort of: in Alpha Flight, back in the day, James Hudson was the leader, and his wife Heather was the stay-at-home. Later, he died, and she put on the super-suit and became the leader herself. That's sort of the same, but she didn't get "fed up" with anything.

endless
05-14-2006, 09:12 AM
I'd actually like to see an "un-super" hero or heroine. That would be something really different. Sorta like a normal person living in a world of super-people. This normal person's normality saves everybody else. Try that on for size, hmmm?

Why does a superhero _have_ to have a girlfriend? Or a boyfriend? Doesn't the entire concept of being at the mercy of the world's problems mean that your job is your life? Where the hell is there any time for a private life?

Samskara
07-17-2006, 06:29 AM
[quote=endless]I'd actually like to see an "un-super" hero or heroine. That would be something really different. Sorta like a normal person living in a world of super-people. This normal person's normality saves everybody else. Try that on for size, hmmm?

/quote]

Actually, I recall that being done, in an issue of The Creeper (don't ask how old I am.) The villain was one of those types who absorb the powers of their adversaries, and so he was able to deal with all the super-powered types. But, since The Creeper had no special powers, was just an ordinary human, albeit at the highest level of physical ability, when the baddy tried to absorb the Creeper's powers, all the superhuman abilities were drained (or something like that). I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm quite sure the concept has been used.

Evaine
07-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I happened to catch an episode of the cartoon Batman recently. It started with Alfred suggesting to Batman that he should find a girlfriend - which led up to the wonderful line at the end: "Sir, when I suggested you should find a young lady with similar interests, Catwoman was not what I had in mind!"

K-Mark
07-22-2006, 07:46 AM
It was a while back and I can't remember all the details, but Spider-man ran into something like this. He was dating a "super" named Black Cat. She was basically Marvel's version of Catwoman. She wanted to keep up with Spidey, so she hired someone to give her extra superpowers. They were "bad luck" powers that gave bad luck to anyone that tried to stop her or get in her way. They ended up having a catch because they caused bad luck in her relationships, too. That's the short version, anyway.

But, that doesn't mean the story can't be done again. I was intrigued by your idea and don't think it's cliche. Go for it and see what happens. Writing from the female persective is a good idea, too. Comics can always use a few more heroines.

Rabe
07-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Nope. It happens sometimes (Storm/Black Panther),

Hrmmm...as a bona fide Storm afficianado (to the point where I have the restraining order that says I must stay two states away from Brian Singer because of the HACK job he did with the character in the movies) I don't recall her romance with Black Panther. She was romantically linked with Forge and is being hinted at with Wolverine now.

but mostly, from my experience, the significant other is a non-super-powered one. Examples: Spider-Man, Captain America, The Thing, The Hulk, Superman, and so on.

Then you are forgetting, respectively - Black Cat, Sharon (agent of SHIELD) and Diamondback, She Hulk and the Skree. Okay, one of them was a supervillian and another was quasi villianess!

But when it comes down to it, the vast majority of superheroes seem to hook up with each other...though, granted, my experiences are mostly in the Marvel universe when it comes to superhero comics but:

Havok and Polaris, Dazzler, Madelyn Pryor
Cyclops and Phoenix, Marvel Girl, Madelyne Pryor and Emma Frost
Scarlet Witch and the Vision,Wonder Man
Hawkeye with Mockingbird
Mr. Incredible and Elasti-Girl
Batman and Catwoman
Wolverine and Viper, Storm, Jean Grey
Shadowcat and Colossus
Psylocke and Doug Ramsey, Angel (warren worthington)
Mystique and Forge, Sabretooth
Absorbing Man and Titania
Dr. Strange and Cleo
Eternity and Infinity
Nightwing and Troika
Nightcrawler and Amanda Sefton

I think I could go on but the idea is there. Superheroes are like other people, they tend to socialize and romanticize within their own circles. Which, is usually with other supers.

K-Mark
07-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Hrmmm...as a bona fide Storm afficianado (to the point where I have the restraining order that says I must stay two states away from Brian Singer because of the HACK job he did with the character in the movies) I don't recall her romance with Black Panther. She was romantically linked with Forge and is being hinted at with Wolverine now.

Actually, Storm and Black Panther are about to get married either this month or the next. But like Hollywood, who knows how long that will last.

Rabe
07-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Actually, Storm and Black Panther are about to get married either this month or the next. But like Hollywood, who knows how long that will last.

Ah...recent comics events. I'm afraid I'm woefully lax in that.

Is this in the Unlimited version or some other title? I know in Uncanny they're still hinting at Storm being linked with Wolverine.

Though, I really don't consider 'Unlimited' at all except as some sort ofmarketing stunt to make more dollars off the characters.

K-Mark
07-23-2006, 02:32 AM
The story line is in the main universe, but it's mostly told in the Black Panther title and some annuals...not exactly sure which ones. She has small cameos in the x-books, but she is always in Africa with her hubby-to-be.

As for the Ultimate line, I thought the same thing and was very disappointed in the Ultimates (aka the Avengers). However, the Ultimate Spider-man writer is excellent. His name is Brian Michael Bendis and he is one of the hottest comic writers right now...for good reason. He also writes Daredevil, The Avengers, and a few mini-series. Next time you're in a convenience store, pick one up for old times sake;)