• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Editing] thEditors

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now they're offering a free edit of the first 3000 words "if suitable" for scifi or fantasy (see the tweet here: https://twitter.com/theditors/status/607823750462095360)

Is this the right forum? Is it okay that l added the tweet link?

Has anyone heard of them or tried them?

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Well, they don't actually say anything about themselves on their ABOUT US page.

They offer to look at 3K words for free and then say this:

Not all manuscripts will be accepted. If you do not hear back from us within three weeks you can assume that we felt your manuscript was unsuitable.

Which sounds strangely like language vanity pubs use to make those "accepted" feel amazing about themselves and more likely to spend money even though most everyone (if not everyone) is accepted.

Lastly, they tell prospective clients to "Please note that sometimes we have a large backlog and are not always able to view all submissions." If they actually have a large backlog, then why are they trolling for new clients on Twitter?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I notice there is no actual information about them on that page. They have testimonials, but it bothered me they don't say who they are. Thanks for your input.

DL_Orton

D. L. Orton
Registered
Reaction score
Website
BetweenTwoEvils.com
I have used thEditors.com for all three of my books (and counting). They do NOT offer publishing services other than editing (but they do keep a list of proofreaders if you ask.)

I would definitely recommend them—but the best way to choose an editor is to look at the books they've edited and see what you think. If you like their work, then by all means, send them a sample and get their feedback. Given that the feedback is free, what do you have to lose?

Regarding the backlog mentioned by @Thedrellum: I can't speak for thEditors, but I do know there are a LOT of writers out there looking to get published (indie or otherwise), and I suspect that it's feast or famine with anyone who does freelance work in the publishing industry.

tl;dr: I recommend them, but your milage may vary.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's a typo on their front page.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Principal Dave Taylor also runs Rocky Mountain Press: http://rockymtpress.com/

D.L. Orton, are you saying that you paid for the editing on your books published through Rocky Mountain?

DL_Orton

D. L. Orton
Registered
Reaction score
Website
BetweenTwoEvils.com
No, he doesn't run Rocky Mt. Press. I do.

RMP is a realitively new indie co-op, and we use independent contractors (which we pay). All the folks listed on the "About" page are contractors that have helped with the books published by RMP. The authors of the books published through RMP retain all rights to their books and all profits.

Dave Taylor and ThEditors are one of the contractors we use (and recommend). Yes, they get paid up front for editing services. So do the proofreaders, cover designers, audiobook narrators, etc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, cool. Thanks for explaining.