PDA

View Full Version : Movie "villains" who you kinda, sorta actually rooted for...

robeiae
09-09-2016, 03:44 AM
Whether because of the actor, because of the character, because of the source material, or because of something else. And "villains" is in quotes because I recognize that this isn't always an absolutely unequivocal thing.

I'll go first:

1) Magneto (first two movies), because he had a point

2) Roy Batty (Bladerunner), because he had an even better point

bombergirl69
09-09-2016, 04:04 AM
gerard butler in public enemy (because he had a very good point)
gerard butler in phantom of the opera (actually every guy who's played the phantom) - just more compelling character
not a movie but John Andre in Turn (and in history!!) just because he also had a really compelling story. No, would not have liked him to wind up with West Point but hate that he was hung
donald sutherland in eye of the needle - nope, didn't want him to get that info back to Germany but he was a pretty compelling guy!

Silva
09-09-2016, 04:48 AM
gerard butler in phantom of the opera (actually every guy who's played the phantom) - just more compelling character

I was just listening to the soundtrack the other day and found myself thinking the same thing.

There's one episode of Columbo where a TV exec snapped and murdered someone because of the overwhelming sexism in her workplace. I was surprised to find myself wishing she would get away with it.

bombergirl69
09-09-2016, 04:55 AM
Ha! Love the sound track Silva!

I forgot to add the sheriff of nottingham in Costners Robin Hood - Alan Rickman just rocked!!! ;)

Celia Cyanide
09-09-2016, 05:08 AM
Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth!

ElaineA
09-09-2016, 06:00 AM
The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? (Do they count as villains?)

roseangel
09-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Loki, not just from Marvel, but I always rooted for him in the myths, too.

K.L. Bennett
09-09-2016, 06:14 PM

Yes! I think I was mostly rooting for his hair, though....

I'll root for almost any villain played by Gary Oldman. Norman Stansfield (Leon: The Professional) was a masterpiece of villainy and one of my favorite Oldman roles of all time.

I've got a soft spot for Salieri in Amadeus. I know they weren't quite as antagonistic in real life so that might color my perception a bit.

Marissa D
09-09-2016, 06:34 PM
The Devil (Mr. Nick) in The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was an awesome character...

NateSean
09-09-2016, 06:40 PM
The Cloverfield monster. Seriously, I didn't care about any of the main characters, except for the one woman who kept rebuffing the camera guy's advances.

Myrealana
09-09-2016, 06:53 PM
I haven't necessarily been rooting for Loki to win in the Marvel movies, but I have certainly been hoping for him to be redeemable.

Pterofan
09-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Please, nobody laugh. I first saw this movie when I was very young.

I'm talking about a Ray Harryhausen favorite, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Sinbad has to thwart the evil magician Koura, who's out to rule the world. But every time Koura uses his dark magic, it ages him. By the end of the movie he was on the verge of death but still refused to give up. I found myself hoping he'd win.

It helped a lot that Koura was played by Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor Who.

Oh, and Hans Gruber in Die Hard. I didn't necessarily want him to win; I just love hearing Alan Rickman's voice.

Tim Archer
09-10-2016, 02:31 AM
I'm definitely with you with Magneto, Robeiae.

I would have to say...Zaheer from the Legend of Korra just because he was a fascinating and complex character and I wanted him to stay around for as long as possible.

Emperor Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith because the Jedi self-righteousness and blind patriotism irked me so much.

The Devil in every movie about the Bible in existence.

Brightdreamer
09-10-2016, 02:43 AM

Definite +1 - though, technically, he's still around in the end, so there's still a chance. :D (Going to see the 30th anniversary re-release this Sunday, hopefully...)

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? (Do they count as villains?)

And a +1 on that, too, especially after the first movie. (Some people are so dumb they just need a good dino chomping...)

I've seen several B-grade monster films where the monster and/or "baddie" was both more interesting and more sympathetic than the lame heroes.

nossmf
09-10-2016, 02:44 AM
My favorite Star Wars character was always Darth Vader.

In Rocky IV, I always felt for Ivan Drago, the Russian boxer. He's presented early as nothing more than a human-machine, an emotionless killer. But in the final fight when he starts to lose he gets accosted by his coach and members of the political establishment which show he's been merely a pawn, never given a choice, until he basically breaks free from their control and continues the fight for himself and his own pride, not because they said so. Perhaps he would've been a farmer if given the choice, but Soviet Communists never were big on giving choices.

I also really enjoy Ed Harris's portrayal of a German sniper in Enemy at the Gates. He's the enemy, but not out to conquer the world for greed or sadism, he's just a soldier following orders. Intelligent, professional, even compassionate at times.

nossmf
09-10-2016, 02:49 AM
I've seen several B-grade monster films where the monster and/or "baddie" was both more interesting and more sympathetic than the lame heroes.

Can we say the Frankenstein Monster? He's innocent of all this, he never asked to be created, yet the moment he is he's hunted mercilessly.

mirandashell
09-10-2016, 03:28 AM
He did throw a child into a lake.

AW Admin
09-10-2016, 03:35 AM
Moby Dick; the whale. I always cheered for the whale.

mirandashell
09-10-2016, 03:49 AM
Me too.

bombergirl69
09-10-2016, 04:11 AM
I also really enjoy Ed Harris's portrayal of a German sniper in Enemy at the Gates. He's the enemy, but not out to conquer the world for greed or sadism, he's just a soldier following orders. Intelligent, professional, even compassionate at times.

He was excellent (fantastic movie) I forgot about him--and yes, found him very sympathetic. Even with the kid.

mirandashell
09-10-2016, 04:12 AM
Not sure hanging a child from a lamp post makes for a sympathetic character. An interesting one, certainly.

Lauram6123
09-10-2016, 04:18 AM
Does anyone remember Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross? He's only on screen briefly at the beginning of the movie, but he gives one of the most electrifying, bad guy speeches ever.

mccardey
09-10-2016, 04:25 AM
I'm very glad to note that the Australians are staying right away from this thread, despite the title. #maturity #makesmeproud.

StuToYou
09-10-2016, 04:28 AM
I kinda felt for the Wicket Witch of The East, in Oz.

ElaineA
09-10-2016, 04:28 AM
I'm very glad to note that the Australians are staying right away from this thread, despite the title. #maturity #makesmeproud.

Oh, you can't do THAT! Dangit, now I have to go google more possibly-naughty terms...

Teinz
09-10-2016, 01:07 PM
Adrian Veidt from Watchmen.

Oh wait, he won.

Cercei, when she blew up the sept.

Albedo
09-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Hannibal Lecter.

Diana Hignutt
09-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Hannibal Lecter.

That's a great one. Especially in the film Hannibal. F Ray Liotta. And Gary Oldman.

Magneto's is great. Adrian Veidt is right.

I'll add Peter Cushing's Baron Frankenstein from the Hammer films. If the stupid townsfolk would just leave him be, he'd solve all of mankind's problems sooner or later.

regdog
09-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Starscream-has suffered some of the worst character assassination in the different stories.

Godzilla-I always cheer for him.

Dracula

Diana Hignutt
09-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Is King-Kong the villain in King-Kong? I always root for Kong.

grandma2isaac
09-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Achilles in Troy. He was not the main villain, merely a weapon used by Agamemnon and Menelaus. He was the one warrior who bucked the evil of the throne.

robeiae
09-12-2016, 03:42 AM
Adrian Veidt from Watchmen.

Oh, that's a good one. :)

mrsmig
09-12-2016, 06:29 AM
Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Ursula the Sea Witch in The Little Mermaid. No kinda/sorta about it.

HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Albedo
09-12-2016, 06:58 AM
HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Another great one! Definitely one of the most melancholy death scenes of any screen villain.

ZachJPayne
09-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Robert DeNiro's character in the Meet the Parents series -- maybe he's more an antagonist than a villain, but I'm always rooting for him. Ben Stiller is a putz.

Ravioli
09-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Zira from The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. Her pride and her babies are starving, all because Simba wouldn't have Scar's loyalists. I mean, the hyenas killed him, he was merely defending himself and his family, so I'm sure he could have talked instead of exiling them. No wonder she wanted him dead. She actually had every right to invade and fight as her and her family's bare survival depended on it.

regdog
09-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Is King-Kong the villain in King-Kong? I always root for Kong.

Me too.

shakeysix
09-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Mr. Joshua. Okay, I don't exactly root for him because I would never root against Murtaugh and Riggs, but I do secretly hope he gets away. It is the Gary Busey toothy, crooked smile thing. He really is a very accomplished actor, something it is easy to forget when you see him on a talk show. As for Mr. Joshua, I find the character fascinating. Pure evil but a goofy, almost engaging evil.

I usually avoid action movies at all costs but the late mr. shakey was a great fan. I used to tag along to the cinema just for the hand holding but a couple of the films he chose were a lot better than I expected.

His taste in comedy was even worse--except for that idiot fishing movie with Glover and Pesci. I come from a family of male fishing morons. Some of those scenes were fairly close to fishing reality as I remember it. But it was a comedy of mr. shakey's, his very favorite of all time, that introduced me to Gary Busey. I don't have time to Google for the title this a.m. but in the final scene Busey's character crashes a hang glider through a stained glass window to prevent a wedding. He also tries to play tennis in a pair of cowboy boots. --s6

Gilroy Cullen
09-12-2016, 06:49 PM
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: The Mummy of course.

Cobalt Jade
09-13-2016, 07:22 PM
The Lord of Darkness from the Tom Cruise stinker movie Legend. He was teh Sex! Poor Tom Cruise in his furry underpants was completely out of his league.

mellymel
09-18-2016, 06:17 AM
Jason.

Alvah
09-21-2016, 03:43 AM
Tom Hank's character in Road to Perdition. Although he's a paid killer, he is a decent man.

Gravity
09-22-2016, 02:16 AM
Martin Brundle in The Fly II. He didn't ask for any of that to happen to him. But it did, and he took his vengeance in a truly epic fashion.

talktidy
09-22-2016, 04:26 AM
Khan - as in Wrath of

MadNorthNorthwest
09-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it already but I'd have to go for Neil McCauley, Robert De Niro's character in Heat.

Despite being a cold professional who lives a fairly spartan existence, there's great deal of loneliness at the very core of the performance that makes him enormously sympathetic. Even when he gives that line about walking away, it sounds as much like he's trying to convince himself of it as he is outlining his philosophy.

LittlePinto
09-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Khan - as in Wrath of

Both Khans. They had points.

nossmf
09-29-2016, 05:51 AM
What about films where the MC IS the villain? Just watched What Women Want with Mel Gibson, and he starts out in the movie as a chauvinist plotting to ruin the FMC's career, but over the course of the film he changes for the better.

Twick
09-29-2016, 05:37 PM
C'mon, no one's mentioned Loki yet?

Myrealana
09-29-2016, 06:04 PM
C'mon, no one's mentioned Loki yet?

What am I, invisible?

I haven't necessarily been rooting for Loki to win in the Marvel movies, but I have certainly been hoping for him to be redeemable.

nossmf
09-29-2016, 07:25 PM
*bump* Oops, sorry, I didn't see you there...

BenPanced
09-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Ursula the Sea Witch in The Little Mermaid. No kinda/sorta about it.

OMFG, yes. I remember seeing Sleeping Beauty during one of its seven-year-cycle re-releases and thought she was one of the coolest screen villains the second she appeared on screen.

And then she turned into a dragon near the end and I fell madly and passionately in love with her.

WindChimeGhost
10-04-2016, 06:18 AM
As someone who’s been a huge fan and lover of villains and antiheroes since I was a kid, I usually end up rooting for just about any villain, with the exception of a few that don’t have what it takes to get on my ‘faves’ list (Some are too evil and disturbing even for my taste. And some are too dull or gross.).

But to be more specific for the sake of this thread, I have to say that I always root for the bad guys in Star Wars, mainly because I find most of the heroes so incredibly dull and/or annoying in some way. For some reason, I’ve never liked the Jedi (the only exception being Qui-Gon Jinn, who was actually cool).

I have others, but it's a long list. lol! :tongue (Although I think my avatar gives a bit of a hint.)

WindChimeGhost
10-04-2016, 06:27 AM
Starscream-has suffered some of the worst character assassination in the different stories.

Godzilla-I always cheer for him.

Dracula

But does Godzilla really count? He eventually becomes Japan's guardian/protector and a sort of superhero. So I would classify him in the bad guy-turned good guy category. Not a straight up villain. But then again that's just me.

Will Collins
10-05-2016, 03:23 AM
I nearly always like the villains, they're usually just more interesting characters.

Scar from Lion King, Ledger's Joker and the Kurgan from Highlander stand out in particular.

The acting is just so damn good for all three, too. :)

Grayson Moon
10-13-2016, 09:36 PM
I've always been sort of the hero type, so there probably aren't very many villains I'd root for (antiheroes aside). But I did find myself secretly cheering for Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't know if he counts as the ultimate villain, because the East India Trading Company was sort of portrayed as everyone's enemy (even though, historically speaking, it was the other way around with pirates). Either way, it was hard for me to be against him at times. I mean come on, the poor guy has an octopus for a face.

shivadyne
10-14-2016, 09:53 AM
i rooted for sharpay in high school musical. she totally deserved that lead role in the musical, not gabriella.

Albedo
10-14-2016, 12:17 PM
As someone who’s been a huge fan and lover of villains and antiheroes since I was a kid, I usually end up rooting for just about any villain, with the exception of a few that don’t have what it takes to get on my ‘faves’ list (Some are too evil and disturbing even for my taste. And some are too dull or gross.).

But to be more specific for the sake of this thread, I have to say that I always root for the bad guys in Star Wars, mainly because I find most of the heroes so incredibly dull and/or annoying in some way. For some reason, I’ve never liked the Jedi (the only exception being Qui-Gon Jinn, who was actually cool).

I have others, but it's a long list. lol! :tongue (Although I think my avatar gives a bit of a hint.)
I'm not at all surprised about the Star Wars thing. The prequels did nothing at all to show why the Empire should be any worse than a Jedi-backed Republic. The Jedi were a bunch of inflexible, bureaucratic priest-wizards, whose monopoly on mind control powers made them a threat to representative democracy. Palpatine came from a order of slightly different priest-wizards, whom Jedi propaganda liked to paint as evil. But what are Palpatine's actual crimes? He manipulated people to gain power, but there's no evidence he was actually mind-controlling anyone, or even that he could (maybe Jar Jar Binks). He killed Samuel L Jackson - in what any decent lawyer could show was self-defense. Okay, he had all the Jedi executed, but that was just a continuation of centuries of wizard-on-wizard violence. Real crystal ball shit. Who can say was in the right?

And it was Anakin what killed the younglings. That was his own initiative. Hell, even in the originals, both Vader and the Emperor were rather remote from the destruction of Endor Alderaan, the only truly reprehensible act we see committed by the Empire across all the movies. If they're guilty of genocide through indifference, then maybe we all are.

That's probably enough Empire apologetics for today. I feel dirty!

mccardey
10-14-2016, 12:25 PM
I always root for Kong.

Mr. Joshua. Okay, I don't exactly root for him

Mel Gibson

I usually end up rooting for just about any villain,

I've always been sort of the hero type, so there probably aren't very many villains I'd root for

i rooted for sharpay in high school musical.

Okay hello we probably need a trigger warning now, for the Aussies.