Movie "villains" who you kinda, sorta actually rooted for...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Whether because of the actor, because of the character, because of the source material, or because of something else. And "villains" is in quotes because I recognize that this isn't always an absolutely unequivocal thing.

I'll go first:

1) Magneto (first two movies), because he had a point

2) Roy Batty (Bladerunner), because he had an even better point

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
gerard butler in public enemy (because he had a very good point)
gerard butler in phantom of the opera (actually every guy who's played the phantom) - just more compelling character
not a movie but John Andre in Turn (and in history!!) just because he also had a really compelling story. No, would not have liked him to wind up with West Point but hate that he was hung
donald sutherland in eye of the needle - nope, didn't want him to get that info back to Germany but he was a pretty compelling guy!

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
gerard butler in phantom of the opera (actually every guy who's played the phantom) - just more compelling character

I was just listening to the soundtrack the other day and found myself thinking the same thing.

There's one episode of Columbo where a TV exec snapped and murdered someone because of the overwhelming sexism in her workplace. I was surprised to find myself wishing she would get away with it.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Love the sound track Silva!

I forgot to add the sheriff of nottingham in Costners Robin Hood - Alan Rickman just rocked!!! ;)

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Loki, not just from Marvel, but I always rooted for him in the myths, too.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth!

Yes! I think I was mostly rooting for his hair, though....

I'll root for almost any villain played by Gary Oldman. Norman Stansfield (Leon: The Professional) was a masterpiece of villainy and one of my favorite Oldman roles of all time.

I've got a soft spot for Salieri in Amadeus. I know they weren't quite as antagonistic in real life so that might color my perception a bit.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
The Cloverfield monster. Seriously, I didn't care about any of the main characters, except for the one woman who kept rebuffing the camera guy's advances.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I haven't necessarily been rooting for Loki to win in the Marvel movies, but I have certainly been hoping for him to be redeemable.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Please, nobody laugh. I first saw this movie when I was very young.

I'm talking about a Ray Harryhausen favorite, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Sinbad has to thwart the evil magician Koura, who's out to rule the world. But every time Koura uses his dark magic, it ages him. By the end of the movie he was on the verge of death but still refused to give up. I found myself hoping he'd win.

It helped a lot that Koura was played by Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor Who.

Oh, and Hans Gruber in Die Hard. I didn't necessarily want him to win; I just love hearing Alan Rickman's voice.

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely with you with Magneto, Robeiae.

I would have to say...Zaheer from the Legend of Korra just because he was a fascinating and complex character and I wanted him to stay around for as long as possible.

Emperor Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith because the Jedi self-righteousness and blind patriotism irked me so much.

The Devil in every movie about the Bible in existence.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Jareth the Goblin King in Labyrinth!

Definite +1 - though, technically, he's still around in the end, so there's still a chance. :D (Going to see the 30th anniversary re-release this Sunday, hopefully...)

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park? (Do they count as villains?)

And a +1 on that, too, especially after the first movie. (Some people are so dumb they just need a good dino chomping...)

I've seen several B-grade monster films where the monster and/or "baddie" was both more interesting and more sympathetic than the lame heroes.

nossmf

Scribo ergo sum
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite Star Wars character was always Darth Vader.

In Rocky IV, I always felt for Ivan Drago, the Russian boxer. He's presented early as nothing more than a human-machine, an emotionless killer. But in the final fight when he starts to lose he gets accosted by his coach and members of the political establishment which show he's been merely a pawn, never given a choice, until he basically breaks free from their control and continues the fight for himself and his own pride, not because they said so. Perhaps he would've been a farmer if given the choice, but Soviet Communists never were big on giving choices.

I also really enjoy Ed Harris's portrayal of a German sniper in Enemy at the Gates. He's the enemy, but not out to conquer the world for greed or sadism, he's just a soldier following orders. Intelligent, professional, even compassionate at times.

nossmf

Scribo ergo sum
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen several B-grade monster films where the monster and/or "baddie" was both more interesting and more sympathetic than the lame heroes.

Can we say the Frankenstein Monster? He's innocent of all this, he never asked to be created, yet the moment he is he's hunted mercilessly.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Moby Dick; the whale. I always cheered for the whale.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
I also really enjoy Ed Harris's portrayal of a German sniper in Enemy at the Gates. He's the enemy, but not out to conquer the world for greed or sadism, he's just a soldier following orders. Intelligent, professional, even compassionate at times.

He was excellent (fantastic movie) I forgot about him--and yes, found him very sympathetic. Even with the kid.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure hanging a child from a lamp post makes for a sympathetic character. An interesting one, certainly.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very glad to note that the Australians are staying right away from this thread, despite the title. #maturity #makesmeproud.

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
I kinda felt for the Wicket Witch of The East, in Oz.