First Person Present or Past?

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm confusing myself here. I don't normally write first person, so that's probably part of it. Also, it may just be an issue of consistency in tense that's messing me up. Here's a short simple example of the problem. The character "Miss Linders" is speaking to the MC who is the first person POV. So this is 'happening' to the MC.

“That’s correct.” Miss Linder’s nods. “Have you been having this dream a long time?”

OR

“That’s correct.” Miss Linder’s nodded. “Have you been having this dream a long time?”

So in the first one her nod is present tense and in the second one it's past tense. I'm assuming that either is correct, so is it just a matter of determining which tense to use and being consistent throughout? I have a feeling I'm not being consistent. Nor am I sure that I have to be. Is it okay to have some of the text in present tense and some in past tense? (Particularly as replacements for dialog tags). Or should I go through everything and ensure I maintain consistency in tense throughout?

Another example might be:

"No," Mom said.

OR

"No," Mom says.

If I want to use present tense, should all 'said' become 'says' ?

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Consistent throughout. If it happened in the past, then everything happened in the past. If it's happening now, then it's all happening as the narrator tells the story. Dialogue is the only case where this can differ.

"I went to the store," I say, "and I saw HER there!"
is okay, as is
"So I run to the store," I said, "and she's shopping in the ice cream aisle."

But the "said/say" or any other dialogue tags should match the tense of the out-of-dialogue story.

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
Consistent throughout. If it happened in the past, then everything happened in the past. If it's happening now, then it's all happening as the narrator tells the story. Dialogue is the only case where this can differ.

is okay, as is

But the "said/say" or any other dialogue tags should match the tense of the out-of-dialogue story.

Awesome. Thanks. I have to make a decision, then. I think I will go with present tense. I've never tried that before. This should be interesting. I usually write 3rd person limited omniscient. I'm in new territory here. It feels... weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is there an apostrophe in Linders?

There shouldn't be. Thought I caught all of those. It's a possessive error. Thanks.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Not exactly. In past tense narrative, the expression of a continuing condition is commonly rendered as present-continuous. A quick clumsy example I just made up:

"I grabbed for the gun, but I am left-handed and clumsy, and I dropped it."

Yes, I know, there are other ways to render this, but you won't have any trouble finding this kind of tense construction in a lot of narrative by very good writers.

caw

draosz

Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly. In past tense narrative, the expression of a continuing condition is commonly rendered as present-continuous. A quick clumsy example I just made up:

Yes, I know, there are other ways to render this, but you won't have any trouble finding this kind of tense construction in a lot of narrative by very good writers.

caw

Present Continuous is formed with auxiliary verb "to be" and Present Participle of the main verb with the ending -ing. It is used to express an action taking place at the moment of speaking.

I remember cramming that very formulation when I was 9 for English as second language. If only I was still capable of learning that easily at this age:/

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Erm, the rule is about using "present simple" tense for "general truths" (things that are always true).
Good example though.

draosz

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure he meant that for continuous, as in continuous quality, action, event or state. Just a slip.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com

Not always. As someone who writes first person present (and reads a hell of a lot in first person present), there is a narrative exception if your first person present tense MC is recounting something that happened in their past.

To the OP, if you're not familiar with first person present, I suggest you read a bunch of it. It's a tricky beast to write, and it's incredibly jarring to read if done badly. (eta: I'm not saying you'll necessarily do a poor job of it! It's just helpful to get an ear both for first person and for present tense by reading it, since it's not what you usually write).

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
To answer your last question first, yes.

If you decide to write in the past tense, then the only time you would use present tense would be when your character slips into musing about universal truths.

Also, I don't know why you've added an apostrophe to Miss Linders in your example, but you'll want to eliminate that.

And a bit of advice--if you want to write first-person, read lots of novels written in first-person, both in past tense and present tense, and pay close attention to how the author handles each one.