Wait - that's not Scalia.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:rolleyes:I'm alternately laughing and shaking my head over the cover of a book of Antonin Scalia quotes published via CreateSpace and currently available on Amazon.

The smiling gentleman on both the front and back cover is not the late Supreme Court Justice, but a friend of mine, actor Edward Gero, who portrayed Scalia in the play THE ORIGINALIST last year. Here's a side-by-side comparison (Scalia on the left, Ed on the right).

690b00ba-ebae-4e42-a1a1-31674f6d78e2.jpg

I suppose one could be forgiven for the mistake, IF it wasn't clear that whoever chose the photo for the cover made no effort to secure the rights to use the photo. If they had, the mistake would have come to light before the book was published in February of this year.

Do you think I contacted Amazon to report it? You bet I did.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Funny. Did you tell your friend?

So many people believe that any image on the internet is ok to use, no worrying about copyright.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my friend knows about it. It happened before - when Scalia passed, a major newspaper ran a photo of Ed with the story. They already had the photo on file from coverage of the play and someone slipped up. They printed a correction, of course.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Hmm, as much as I don't want these dishonest so-and-so's to profit from their apparently illegal efforts...does anyone else suddenly want a copy of the book, autographed by Mr. Gero?

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. Four people left one star reviews pointing out that the photo is of the wrong guy today. I wonder if the author will respond.