Unused covers

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just curious how many of you have commissioned book covers and then not used them? I have 4 sitting in my COVERS folder. They just didn't turn out the way I wanted them for the books I was writing (even though in my mind I thought they'd be awesome), and ended up getting different covers. I mentioned this to another writer and he thought I was nuts for not using it, given the expense. I felt it was a marketing decision and I had to take the hit, though I admit, I have considered writing new books that suit the covers just so I can use them for something.

Am I alone with this? Have others done this? How many do you have, if you have any?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Typically, I don't create the covers for my stories until the book is finished or near-finished. Granted, I have worked on a couple covers that haven't been released yet. One I created, then realized it would be better suited for the second book in the series. The other I created when I thought I was nearing the end of the editing process, but then it took longer to release than planned. That one's been sitting for at least a year, and is going to be revealed soon.

If I had to pay for a cover (rather than design them myself), I don't think I would order the commission until I was pretty sure I had the book where I wanted, and then I would try to find a cover artist who I felt could get the right design... or I would seek out premade options.

But if you can use them for other stories, I can see that being a good way to re-purpose them (as long as the licence for the cover permits that). :)

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, I never commision before I'm done writing/editing (and in fact, not until I've decided SP'ing it is the way to go, which is often after a lenghty submission process). But I have at least 3 covers in my folder that are super nice, but just didn't fit what I was looking for.

ML-Larson

Registered
Reaction score
I commissioned one for my first book, and it really soured me on it. I had a very clear idea of what I wanted in an illustrated cover, and didn't feel like my own art style would really suit it. So I found someone who did the style I wanted, and who did covers, and gave them a rundown of what I was looking for. And what I got was literally something done in coloured pencil on A4. They didn't even do the actual cover design. I was so angry and furious that I almost gave up on the whole thing, but then a friend put something together for me that wound up being the basis for the look of the entire series.

I went a different route for the one I'll be putting out next month. I got the Adobe stock package, since I've already got Photoshop CC and Premiere CC. The cover's a bit generic, so I decided to look into finding a model to stick on there. And then I learned that models that work well for horror all look the same, and nothing like my MC, so generic it is. :C

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
ML-Larson, funny, a couple of the covers I have in my 'trunk' are illustrated. I think the style of the illustrator is a tough thing for really non-professionals to gauge. By non-professionals, I mean people like me, who's day job is not designing covers. I struggle to identify if the designers style matches what I'm looking for.

Luckily I've managed to align myself with a stellar designer and haven't looked back on any of my covers since, but I wasted a bit of coin on those other covers (probably over 1000 dollars actually... ugh). But Half the trunked covers I have I will use one day, even just for a short story or something. The others? I'll blog about the experience one day or something. :)

Last edited:

ML-Larson

Registered
Reaction score
Illustrated covers are just tricky period, because the style really has to match the content. I 100% have no business illustrating any book or cover meant for a reader over the age of about 10, because everything I draw looks like it came out of the Venture Brothers. For a cartoon, that's great. For the cover of an adult fantasy series, not so much. lol

books-tea-puppies

Registered
Reaction score
I've bought a bunch of pre-mades that I haven't used... yet! Of course I've still got it in my head that one day I'll write all those stories ;)

romance2die4

Registered
Reaction score
I fooled around with gimp for a bit, but then decided to commission the covers for my series. I love my cover artist. She was lovely to work with and did an outstanding job. The problem is that I don't think the covers are right for my books. I know she was probably trying to create something original and creative which she did, but I wanted something that would tell readers exactly what they would be getting - a hot romance. My next book is a stand alone offshoot from this series. I don't know whether to plow on with the style that I have been using or ditch it for what I think would be better. Of course, I could wind up with something even worse. When I send bloggers requests for reviews, I always put in a sentence asking them to give their opinion on my cover whether they choose to review my novel or not. One blogger responded, and she liked my covers. Has anyone had any experience with changing their cover styles from book to book?

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
I fooled around with gimp for a bit, but then decided to commission the covers for my series. I love my cover artist. She was lovely to work with and did an outstanding job. The problem is that I don't think the covers are right for my books. I know she was probably trying to create something original and creative which she did, but I wanted something that would tell readers exactly what they would be getting - a hot romance. My next book is a stand alone offshoot from this series. I don't know whether to plow on with the style that I have been using or ditch it for what I think would be better. Of course, I could wind up with something even worse. When I send bloggers requests for reviews, I always put in a sentence asking them to give their opinion on my cover whether they choose to review my novel or not. One blogger responded, and she liked my covers. Has anyone had any experience with changing their cover styles from book to book?

I think branding is super important for a series. I spend a lot of time conceptualizing what the series is going to look like. Re-branding is done all the time but it usually involves redoing all the covers in a particular series so they're connected in some way. That said, I write kid-lit and maybe it's more important for that market than others? I'm not sure... Toss your covers into your signature and you'll likely get a lot of feedback. Though I've been trying to figure out the signature thing here for a while and still can't quite get it right... images keep being way too big.