• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas needed for Romance Novel (5 chapters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboard Cowboy

Professional Amateur
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking for a few betas to give me some feedback on a romance novel I've been working on. I like to think of it as more of a love story than a romance. It's called "Worth Fighting For" and so far I have about 6 chapters written with several additional scenes. I'm ready for a second set of eyes to review the first 5 chapters. I would really like to know if others think it's a project worth continuing or if it should be scrapped. I would be happy to swap (I'm willing to read just about anything) and I can send it as a Word document or pdf, whichever is preferred. Below is a synopsis I put together. If interested, please let me know. Thanks.

Nick and Ashley are struggling to make things work. Then they find each other and things really start to get complicated.

At 24, photographer Nick Meyer is a little too old to be starting his adult life, yet that is where he finds himself when he meets Ashley Johnson in a restaurant. He is instantly taken with her, but since he is still struggling to overcome a traumatic childhood and make a life for himself outside of the shelter of his father’s home, he is full of self doubt and lacks confidence. And at times he can barely hold himself together.

Ashley has a troubled past of her own, and she finds herself recovering from a bad relationship while being locked in a feud with a father who has been far too overprotective when Nick comes along. Working two jobs to make ends meet, and fighting to avoid becoming like her dependent sister, she bumps into Nick at a time perhaps when she needs him the most.

Neither of the two can seem to stop thinking about the other, even with so much going on in their lives. But despite the seemingly palpable attraction, the timing of their relationship might have come too early, and they find themselves having to decide if what they have is worth fighting for.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy to read it. I'll PM you my email address :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm the old lady pounding the floor with her cane, but a beta reader reads a completed and polished work, one the author thinks is ready to submit or self-publish. It's a term borrowed from the computer industry, in which a beta tester used a program or played a game ready to be marketed, seeking any circumstances in which it didn't work correctly.

Sounds like you're seeking critical feedback, which is, of course, just fine--and you've already got volunteers, which is even finer. I've just got this thing about the term's misuse. Oh, and also about its versus it's.

Status
Not open for further replies.