Funny stuff! Two covers, same idea (and it was mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
How funny is this?

I'm not much of a visual thinker. I have very limited design skills. So it was fun and gratifying to have had an idea that they loved (and used) when they wanted to redesign the cover for the paperback release of my second novel. It was based on something I'd seen on the internet a while back. I described it to them and they took it and made something really cool out of it, I think.

Two days ago, Simon & Schuster (of which my publisher is an imprint of) put out a new book, a YA horror anthology.

Think my idea lived on?

f26d2acb-9426-486b-9f6c-04b3fa923bb8_zpsovnrbegb.jpg
ca4c1635-ad3c-4082-abba-321f2b1adc9e_zpslxfmjt3n.jpg

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, yours is better. It's far more symmetrical, and the black and white gives it weight.

I would never think that the one with the guy's face is horror, or YA. It looks like - maybe - something about a person with mental illness, but the lack of symmetry in the hands ruins any effect they might have gotten out of the framing.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for yours. (Plus it's a good book. So there!)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yours is far more effective. Everything about the second cover seems off - the color, the expression, the perspective. Just ugh.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Well looky there... you just got yourself a heaping dose of the sincerest form of flattery! I guess that's just the price of being awesome. :D

And ditto what others have said. Yours is way better.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll be the oddball and say I really like both of them.

On the guy's face, the lack of symmetry makes the sneer disjointed and it's not clear whether he's giving the camera his best bitch-face or that's a side effect of the photography. I think that ambiguousness works well for a cover that is supposed to be creepy. It's just a little "off", and a lot of what makes horror disturbing to us is when a person or situation is portrayed as just "off" enough that your subconscious starts bugging you but you can't consciously say what's wrong.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Well looky there... you just got yourself a heaping dose of the sincerest form of flattery! I guess that's just the price of being awesome. :D

And ditto what others have said. Yours is way better.

Thanks! It was only my idea. The coolness of the actual piece is down to the cover designer. She's a terrific artist and I can easily say who I think wore the idea best!!

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Similar concepts, but OMG the difference in execution. Yours is brill'. I always feel a tad envious of your forum av.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Reminder for me to get this. Is this a sequel to your first or different characters?

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I've always liked your cover, thought it was really different. It's cool they liked your idea, but... wow. Not much of a fan of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.