Odd Rejection

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Got one of the oddest rejections of my career. The agent loved the main character and the premise and said the book had "heart." What tripped her up was some occasional overwriting and some lapses of pacing. It seems these complains were really quibbles that could have been handled with a quick r&r. But no offer of such was forthcoming. Without specifics, there's nothing I can really do at this point to fix anything.

Last edited:

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
You could always try doing that R&R and querying again just in case. But oftentimes there are a number of other reasons behind the rejection. And if she liked everything except those small issues, it's entirely possible a different agent will love it!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It could be that the writing and pacing problems were not as occasional as to be a quick fix. Particularly if the overwriting was seen as your writing style, as opposed to some fixable problem. I know that when I beta, it's easy to point out specific problems in the novel, & even more overarching ones like an unlikable MC, but if the writing in general doesn't match with my preferences or what I think the market wants, that can be a very frustrating problem because it's hard to articulate to the author what needs fixing or to even imagine the author being able to (or willing to) fix their writing style.

Of course I agree with others that even if those problems really were as minor as you think they are, the agent could just not have fallen in love with the book, despite seeing its virtues, and so she shared those virtues and some faults with the hope that you can improve it for some agent who does fall in love with it.

TECarter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tecarter.com
Realistically, too, the agent could have liked it, but not had the editorial insight into how to fix it. They just knew that it wasn't working and addressed why. You could certainly query again if you make changes, but they may not have had the clear direction for revising and may have felt that your writing style was a disconnect.