PDA

View Full Version : Am I reading this Amazon Giveaway license correctly?

Write On Pal
08-31-2016, 09:55 PM
SoÖIíve been considering doing an Amazon giveaway for my latest book, but in reading through the Amazon Giveaway Service Agreement terms I came to this:

5. License.
You grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, perform, display, distribute, adapt, modify, excerpt, analyze, re-format, create derivative works of, and otherwise commercially or non-commercially exploit in any manner, any and all of Your Materials, and to sublicense the foregoing rights; provided that nothing in this Agreement will prevent or impair our right to use Your Materials without your consent to the extent that such use is allowable without a license from you or your Affiliates under applicable Law (e.g., fair use under United States copyright law, referential use under trademark law, or valid license from a third party)

Does this mean if I give away a few copies of my book on Amazon, they have the right to take my book, adapt it any way they want, including modifying it to their liking, reproducing it, and using it commercially forever?
Thatís what these terms sound like to me.

King Neptune
09-01-2016, 12:09 AM
That's what it says.
I knew there was a reason why I didn't try a giveaway.

WriterBN
09-01-2016, 07:58 PM
It's boilerplate stuff that somebody probably copied and pasted from one of their advertising legal agreements. You still have to consent to their use, but it depends on how they define "Your Materials".

At any rate, I've found Amazon giveaways to be pretty useless, so you're not missing much.

Glass Valkyrie
09-02-2016, 03:22 AM
I saw this too and balked. I decided to back away slowly and find other avenues to do giveaways.

Unwillingadult
09-05-2016, 01:03 AM
Seems like a horrible idea, there are definitely much better alternatives for hosting a giveaway if you feel it would benefit you. I would say make some comparisons, social media giveaways tend to be received well, especially if you require a retweet & a follow/share & pagelike etc, it would definitely build up your followers list. So perhaps consider something along the lines of that?

WriterBN
09-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I would say make some comparisons, social media giveaways tend to be received well, especially if you require a retweet & a follow/share & pagelike etc, it would definitely build up your followers list.

They can, but there's the issue of quality vs. quantity. I'd rather have 5 genuine followers who were engaged and interested in my stuff than a 100 sweepers who have no interest at all.

LACarrington
09-05-2016, 08:38 PM
I NEVER did giveaways on Amazon. I usually did rare ones either on my own accord or as prizes in contests participated in by multiple authors.