Victorian Misconceptions

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing an article about the myths and misinformation that's so prevalent today with regards to Victorian clothing. Things that many people believe to be true, thanks to Hollywood, but which are basically urban legends. My goal is to dispel the myths, educating readers on what getting dressed in the 19th century was truly like.

I've compiled a list of "well-known facts" that I plan on using, but I need more. Lots more! Enough to fill a 2,000 word article. Unfortunately, I can't rely solely on my own experiences, because I've been studying historical costuming for years and no longer remember what I used to believe. Which is where y'all come in.

What do you know about the Victorian-era, specifically regarding clothing and fashion? I'd like to hear about things you assume to be true. Maybe things you've heard, but aren't sure about. Or things you find unbelievable, unrealistic, or absurd. Anything and everything you think you know about Victorian fashion (from the mid-1800s through the early 1900s). Send it my way and I'll sort fact from fiction. (Note that I'm not looking for actual facts about the period, just things that are "commonly known" and might not actually be true.) Or if you're a historical costumer, what sorts of questions/comments do you often hear from the general public?

A few examples of what I'm talking about. . . .

• Corsets are dangerous to your health.
  • You can't breathe in a corset!
  • Only upper-class women wore corsets, because they needed a maid's help to get dressed.
  • You can't sit in a bustle.

(Hint: All of the above examples are false.) If you'd rather not post in this thread, you can PM me.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"-a Sikh greeting)

I was surprised to learn that Victorian women did not wear hats to evening events (usually). I thought they always did.

My grandmother, who was born and raised on a farm and was therefore a thrifty sort, surprised me by saying that they only wore socks (which were knitted from wool) for one week before throwing them out. They didn't have the means to clean them, but they did have access to wool. This probably only applies to people in extreme rural conditions though.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
  • Corsets are dangerous to your health.
  • You can't breathe in a corset.

Interesting. I knew that corsets were just a supportive garment at one point/originally, but I thought there was also a phase where usage became extreme and caused internal damage-- especially if worn too soon after giving birth.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I knew that corsets were just a supportive garment at one point/originally, but I thought there was also a phase where usage became extreme and caused internal damage-- especially if worn too soon after giving birth.
During the late Victorian period, there were a few women who tightlaced--which can be dangerous, if taken to the extreme. But as with any extreme trend, tightlacers were a minority, not the majority. Most women laced snugly, not tightly enough to cause any sort of damage or interfere with breathing.

I searched through my favorite 19th century pregnancy/childbirth manual and didn't find any mention of the need to avoid corsets following delivery. They had nursing corsets, with front panels that unfastened for easy access, which suggests that women did, in fact, wear them soon after delivery. In fact, women wore corsets throughout pregnancy. They were cautioned against using a corset to try and hide their pregnancy, as compressing the belly could lead to problems for the baby. But they had special maternity corsets, which had lacing on the sides, as well as in the back, so the corset could expand over the baby bump. These were much like today's belly bands--they helped support the baby's weight, taking the pressure off the woman's back, thereby making her more comfortable.

Siri, perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that women often wore a headdress in the evening. Not a hat, but an arrangement of flowers, or beads and jewels. However, there were times when wearing a floral headdress in the evening was considered impolite. I don't recall the exact circumstances, but I remember reading about it in one of my Victorian etiquette manuals. Fresh flowers were okay, if you really wanted to wear a floral headdress, but silk flowers were simply not acceptable. It might have been for a formal dinner or reception . . . but I don't recall for sure. Anyway, yup, dressing for evening required a totally different set of rules. You were allowed to bare a lot more skin, you could wear jewels, etc.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on Victorian fashion? It doesn't have to be something you learned is wrong. Just toss all your "known facts" about fashion in the 19th century at me. I'll sort out which ones are true and which are misconceptions.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Um, slightly off topic, but I'm a collector of early 19th century fashion prints (Ackermann's Repository and La Belle Assemblee/Court Magazine in particular) and I've always wondered what caused the great sleeve deflation of spring 1836--one month, ladies' sleeves were still enormous, and the next, they were suddenly skin tight (at least to the upper arm). It looks like the change happened in France and spread like wildfire, but I've never been able to find out why.

And more related to your question: how common were embarrassing crinoline incidents during the height (or breadth!) of their popularity? If you sat down wrong, would they really fly up and Reveal All?

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
During the late Victorian period, there were a few women who tightlaced--which can be dangerous, if taken to the extreme. But as with any extreme trend, tightlacers were a minority, not the majority. Most women laced snugly, not tightly enough to cause any sort of damage or interfere with breathing.

I searched through my favorite 19th century pregnancy/childbirth manual and didn't find any mention of the need to avoid corsets following delivery. They had nursing corsets, with front panels that unfastened for easy access, which suggests that women did, in fact, wear them soon after delivery. In fact, women wore corsets throughout pregnancy. They were cautioned against using a corset to try and hide their pregnancy, as compressing the belly could lead to problems for the baby. But they had special maternity corsets, which had lacing on the sides, as well as in the back, so the corset could expand over the baby bump. These were much like today's belly bands--they helped support the baby's weight, taking the pressure off the woman's back, thereby making her more comfortable.

Cool!

The postpartum concern was about too much pressure contributing to uterine prolapse, but the person I heard it from likely wasn't as educated about the function of corsets as you are. Also, over exertion is much, much more likely to be a factor in prolapse than binding the belly, and I think lying in was much more encouraged then than it is now.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that ladies wore an awful lot of feathers and stuffed birds on their hats. Some birds (sorry, no idea which) are said to have gone extinct because of being extensively hunted for ladies' fashion.

Also, I don't know if it's of any use to you, but when the Japanese started wearing Western (= Victorian) clothing, it was much more popular with men than women. Most of Japanese women wore traditional clothing well until the 1920s, while most men adopted Victorian clothing as early as the 1880s.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Um, slightly off topic, but I'm a collector of early 19th century fashion prints (Ackermann's Repository and La Belle Assemblee/Court Magazine in particular) and I've always wondered what caused the great sleeve deflation of spring 1836--one month, ladies' sleeves were still enormous, and the next, they were suddenly skin tight (at least to the upper arm). It looks like the change happened in France and spread like wildfire, but I've never been able to find out why.

And more related to your question: how common were embarrassing crinoline incidents during the height (or breadth!) of their popularity? If you sat down wrong, would they really fly up and Reveal All?

A: That's fashion for you. One season has sleeves as big as watermelons, the next -- bam! -- sleeves are as tight as can be, maybe with a little bulge at the elbow so you can move. Even in the 1830s fashions could change with dramatic speed.

There exist, by the way, antique dresses which were originally cut with the massive sleeves of 1836 which were elaborately pleated and tacked down in 1837 to match the new narrow sleeve fashion.

Aslo by the way, those very late Victorian ladies' dresses of circa. 1893-1898 which had those giant sleeves, as seen on many old bicyling prints, were imagined at the time to be an exact historic revival of the pre-1837 balloon sleeves. They thought they were dressing up historically.

B: The embarrassment of the crinoline was not that your bloomers showed, but that your low class showed.

Real high-class ladies did not wear crinolines. They wore dozens of laboriously starched petticoats almost too heavy to move in. Crinolines were for women who could not afford servants or petticoats, or shop girls who needed to be able to move lightly and quickly.

The wind showing your crinoline showed your cheapness, not your underwear.

As for myths, I don't think people realize how ubiquitous gloves were and how intimate bare hands -- Or for that matter that a man in a shirt without a vest or coat was like he was in his underwear.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I've heard that ladies wore an awful lot of feathers and stuffed birds on their hats. Some birds (sorry, no idea which) are said to have gone extinct because of being extensively hunted for ladies' fashion.

Also, I don't know if it's of any use to you, but when the Japanese started wearing Western (= Victorian) clothing, it was much more popular with men than women. Most of Japanese women wore traditional clothing well until the 1920s, while most men adopted Victorian clothing as early as the 1880s.

There are some very interesting Japanese woodcuts, actually. A few noble Japanese ladies in the court took up fashionable Western dress of about, oh, I'd say it looks about 1878 by the neckline and lack of bustle.

Then they continued to wear exactly that season's fashion for almost twenty years, if the woodcuts are anything to go by, as if Western fashion were a timeless unchanging thing (much as Westerners have treated whatever happened to be the fashion in Japan when they happened to land there).

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
This may be out of scope, but a look at the differences between British Victorians and Gilded Age Americans could be due. It seems to me that there wasn't much of one among the upper classes (at least not what an unrefined Yank would notice...).

If you're discussing menswear it might be fun to compare and contrast Daniel Day-Lewis's wardrobes in Lincoln vs. Gangs of New York (screaming plaid pants!) vs. Age of Innocence (the crowd of identical black-suited, bowler-hatted businessmen).

Speaking of showing skin in the evening, there's the Victorian taboo on showing legs/ankles, but a diving neckline & push-up corset could have 'the girls' practically exposed. I see that Marissa already asked about crinoline incidents, but that brings up the issue of undergarments and the lack thereof. How exactly did women deal with menstruation in that era? I've heard that lower-class women would sometimes just "go with the flow" so to speak (eww), also that women would discretely pee beneath their skirts when they were outdoors. I would also wonder how exactly one dealt with a hoopskirt in an outhouse, esp. for number 2. (My, the Victorians would be so appalled by such indelicate matters!)

There's also the whole culture of mourning and the attire for different stages and relations. Things like jewelry made from dead people's hair and other such cool/creepy things.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
There are some very interesting Japanese woodcuts, actually. A few noble Japanese ladies in the court took up fashionable Western dress of about, oh, I'd say it looks about 1878 by the neckline and lack of bustle.

That's very true – there are photographs of Japanese ladies in Western dress also, not only woodcut prints. But as you said, those were court ladies, not common people. When you look at pictures/photographs of everyday life, you'll notice that while men on the streets do wear Western hats, suits, shoes/boots, trousers etc., as well as short-cropped hair and facial hair, women have kimonos, haori or hanten jackets, geta clogs, and mostly Japanese-style coiffures. One thing where women in their majority adopted Western look is teeth – they stopped blackening them in the 1870s.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Tocotin, my alma mater hosted its first Japanese student in 1889--she went on to found Tsuda College: http://www.brynmawr.edu/alumnae/bulletin/tsuda.htm There are lots of photos of her in her academic gown (de rigueur for everyday wear at the time) and western hairstyle, which I suppose was a necessity when wearing a mortarboard!

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Tocotin, my alma mater hosted its first Japanese student in 1889--she went on to found Tsuda College: http://www.brynmawr.edu/alumnae/bulletin/tsuda.htm There are lots of photos of her in her academic gown (de rigueur for everyday wear at the time) and western hairstyle, which I suppose was a necessity when wearing a mortarboard!

Hey Marissa! Tsuda Umeko is a big name in Japan. She was a member of the elite though (her father was a big proposer of Westernization), a personal friend of the Prime Minister etc., and after having spent a lot of time in the US she actually almost forgot how to speak Japanese. So she might have worn Western clothing more often and more willingly than most Japanese women, court ladies included.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of showing skin in the evening, there's the Victorian taboo on showing legs/ankles, but a diving neckline & push-up corset could have 'the girls' practically exposed. I see that Marissa already asked about crinoline incidents, but that brings up the issue of undergarments and the lack thereof. How exactly did women deal with menstruation in that era? I've heard that lower-class women would sometimes just "go with the flow" so to speak (eww), also that women would discretely pee beneath their skirts when they were outdoors. I would also wonder how exactly one dealt with a hoopskirt in an outhouse, esp. for number 2. (My, the Victorians would be so appalled by such indelicate matters!)
That's probably not the only thing they used, but women wore pads made of cotton or other fabrics, attached to belts (commercially available from the 2nd half of the 19th century).

Museum of menstruation:
http://www.mum.org/belts.htm

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my misconceptions was that corsets were always worn against bare skin, like they would be today at a club or naughty scene. But in real life, a chemise was always worn underneath them, to protect them from the sweat and oils of the body.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. Anything could have triggered such an abrupt fashion change. Maybe someone finally realized, "Hey, women look ridiculous with huge sleeves!" LOL!

I don't know how common it was to have a crinoline accident, but they did happen. It's one reason drawers made a comeback, and why women wore so many layers of under-petticoats, for modesty, in case a hoop tilted up. You do have to be careful when sitting in a hoop skirt, because if you sit on the hoops just right, they will indeed flip up. You have to sort of "settle" the hoops first, then sit your bottom down.

I've heard that, too, although I've no idea whether it's actually true or just an urban legend. I'll have to look into that further.

Interesting. I know Japanese culture had a big influence on Victorian fashion, particularly in the 1870s. There are extant gowns made of kimono silk, really gorgeous!

B: The embarrassment of the crinoline was not that your bloomers showed, but that your low class showed.

Real high-class ladies did not wear crinolines. They wore dozens of laboriously starched petticoats almost too heavy to move in. Crinolines were for women who could not afford servants or petticoats, or shop girls who needed to be able to move lightly and quickly.
The idea of upper-class women shunning the crinoline is something I've never come across in my research. What I've read is that women wore layers and layers of starched petticoats in the 1850s, until the wire hoop skirt was reinvented in 1856 (I think?). The crinoline spread like wildfire, because it liberated women from the heavy layers of petticoats. They could now get away with wearing maybe three pettis, instead of half a dozen or more. I've never read anything that suggested upper-class women didn't care for hoop skirts. Can you point me toward your source? I'd love to know more about this!

As for myths, I don't think people realize how ubiquitous gloves were and how intimate bare hands -- Or for that matter that a man in a shirt without a vest or coat was like he was in his underwear.
Yes! My first novel is set in 1881, and I made a big deal out of the fact that the hero and heroine clasp hands without gloves. It was shockingly inappropriate for the time. Not sure how to turn that into a "myth" and "truth," though. I'll have to give it some thought.

I see that Marissa already asked about crinoline incidents, but that brings up the issue of undergarments and the lack thereof. How exactly did women deal with menstruation in that era? I've heard that lower-class women would sometimes just "go with the flow" so to speak (eww), also that women would discretely pee beneath their skirts when they were outdoors. I would also wonder how exactly one dealt with a hoopskirt in an outhouse, esp. for number 2. (My, the Victorians would be so appalled by such indelicate matters!)
They did have pads, of a sort, for menstruation. I've seen ads in antique catalogs for "belts" that have tabs hanging down in the front and back, to which you would pin whatever sort of sanitary pad you were using. The idea of women just "letting it flow" is largely a myth--and a disgusting one, at that! They even sold special waterproof aprons that were worn under your dress, in the back, to protect your gown from bloodstains.

As for using the toilet, I expect they did it much the way reenactors today do . . . entering the stall and sitting on the toilet backwards. It's the only way to keep your skirts from getting in the toilet. I suspect that if you were poor enough to need an outhouse, you probably weren't too worried about wearing hoop skirts. Although, I have read that poor women were desperate to keep up a fashionable appearance, so even women out on the frontier, with no access to proper bustles, would tie soup cans around their waist, or use a stuffed pillow, or whatever they could think of, to achieve that butt-poof. (When I was a kid, I would make my own "bustle" by folding several blankets and draping them over a ribbon, then tie the ribbon around my waist, and shove the blankets to the back. For a hoop skirt, I would tie ribbons or shoelaces to a hula-hoop.)

There's also the whole culture of mourning and the attire for different stages and relations. Things like jewelry made from dead people's hair and other such cool/creepy things.
I saw a fine example of hair jewelry at a local museum. You would never guess it was woven from hair, it's so intricate looking! Apparently, they also took photos of dead loved ones, often posed with a living relative. Talk about creepy. . . .

One of my misconceptions was that corsets were always worn against bare skin, like they would be today at a club or naughty scene. But in real life, a chemise was always worn underneath them, to protect them from the sweat and oils of the body.
Ah, good one! Thanks. Those who've ever tried to wear a corset bare will know what a bad idea that is! You get all sorts of chafing. Not to mention getting the corset dirty with sweat and body oils. Corsets can't be washed often, because you'd have to remove the steel bones first, which is a pain and a half. So you wear the protective chemise underneath, because it can be easily washed. I remember reading somewhere that silk was NOT often used for chemises, not even for upper-class women, because it tends to cause chafing. Thin linen or cotton was vastly preferable.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I know that my grandma got it wrong sitting down in a crinoline the first time she was put into one as a teenager - she told me. She was a bit of a tomboy, flung herself into a chair sitting on the hoop at the back and showed her pantaloons to her family.

Interesting that crinolines were not upper class in the Victorian period. I know 17th century and a bit of Elizabethan and there the equivalent to a crinoline was definitely upper class, especially if metal (expensive) with ladies maids for example making themselves cheap copies in cane.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
There are wonderful descriptions of how laborers' wives contrived bustles and such to be as au courant as possible in Thompson's Lark Rise to Candleford.

And I've never heard that crinolines were not worn by upper class women; fashion prints I've seen from the 1860s show silhouettes that could only be achieved by crinolines, and they weren't catering to the lower classes...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Fashion prints were largely aimed at the aspiring middle classes and they often exaggerated the silhouettes, as a comparison of fashion drawings with photographs and surviving garments will show.

The idea of upper-class women shunning the crinoline is something I've never come across in my research. What I've read is that women wore layers and layers of starched petticoats in the 1850s, until the wire hoop skirt was reinvented in 1856 (I think?). The crinoline spread like wildfire, because it liberated women from the heavy layers of petticoats. They could now get away with wearing maybe three pettis, instead of half a dozen or more. I've never read anything that suggested upper-class women didn't care for hoop skirts. Can you point me toward your source? I'd love to know more about this.

I wish I had something more I could point my finger to, because mostly it's a sense I have gotten from decades of reading Victorian writings and studying their art and humor.

Part of the problem seems to be that the topic was slightly racy and taboo. There seems to have been a silent acceptance that crinolines were a little ersatz, like plastic flowers, but that they were a reasonable way of appearing more prosperous if one could be discreet about it. But on the whole people do not seem to have discussed it much.

There are clues. It's things like the Punch song that begins "God save our gracious Queen, She won't wear crinoline ..."; or the Winterhalter portraits of noblewomen, Empresses and court ladies in their sumptuous, soft, pillowy skirts laid out over the sward in ways that hoops cannot possibly go; or the meticulous instructions in ladies' magazines for disguising one's hoops to look as much as possible like layers and layers of petticoats; or that so much of the hoops-too-big humor is slightly ribald, like more recent humor about padding one's bra or gentlemen sticking a sock down their trousers; or the dismay that with cheap crinoline hoops, Betty Downstairs can dress as if she were as fine as a real lady -- although of course she gets stuck in turnstiles for her vanity, ho ho (and of course real ladies do not use commuter trains or omnibuses).

Megann

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing about the crinolines were that they easily caught fire and a number of women burned to death in them, especially if they wore them in the kitchen.

Also what about the bloomer dress? Several of the prominent suffragists wore them for years, but were constantly harassed where ever they went so they eventually went back to something more conservative.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Interesting that crinolines were not upper class in the Victorian period. I know 17th century and a bit of Elizabethan and there the equivalent to a crinoline was definitely upper class, especially if metal (expensive) with ladies maids for example making themselves cheap copies in cane.

What is expensive luxury and what is cheap commonplace changes with time, resources, and technology.

A little over a hundred years ago automobiles were exclusively toys of the rich; now they have become nearly ubiquitous. Cotton, a Napoleonic luxury fabric, became a Victorian commonplace with the invention of industrial spinning and weaving.

Likewise, with Victorian technology and resource exploitation, spring steel became a commonplace, if not quite dirt-cheap, at least ubiquitous, allowing for better piano wire and industrial machinery springs, corsetry for the masses (now that whalebone was becoming so much harder to find, what with the hunting to near-extinction and all) -- and cheap hoopskirts.

So far as I can tell upper class ladies did at least sometimes wear hoop skirts. But they did everything they could to disguise that fact.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
This is such a fascinating thread. I love the details about crenalines etc. speak to the class anxities of the time. Wasn't there also something similar going on with the color palettes worn, since this was also the time when chemical dyes made bright colors available to the lowers classes? I know for example the demimondaines in Impressionist paintings tend to wear bold colors and prints, and of course there's the Five Points gangsters I mentioned earlier. Of course it could also be that gentlemen took to wearing black suits, hats and overcoats because there was soot everywhere in the cities.

Oh and as for urban legends, there's the naughtiest one about Prince Albert and the penis piercing that bears his name. Apparently this is a myth made up by a piercer in the 1970s. I have run across references to other piercings some Victorians did do (such as both nipples connected by a chain) but it may not have been a good source.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
One more thing about hoop skirts. "Crinoline" was something of a euphemism. "Crin" means horse hair, and a "crinoline" was actually a stiffly woven skirt made of horse hair. But the word got applied to the much cheaper spring steel hoop skirts as it sounded classy.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This is such a fascinating thread. I love the details about crenalines etc. speak to the class anxities of the time. Wasn't there also something similar going on with the color palettes worn, since this was also the time when chemical dyes made bright colors available to the lowers classes? I know for example the demimondaines in Impressionist paintings tend to wear bold colors and prints, and of course there's the Five Points gangsters I mentioned earlier. Of course it could also be that gentlemen took to wearing black suits, hats and overcoats because there was soot everywhere in the cities.

Black was a fashionable color for men for the entire nineteenth century. Black had been a luxury dye since the Renaissance -- It is very difficult to achieve without color undertones and it fades quickly. Furthermore, some of the best black dyes could eat away at fabric if one were not careful.

The Victorians considered black a sober, dignified color. They also had an elaborate cult of mourning their dead that called for massive amounts of black clothing (with extraordinarily intricate rules of what to wear when and who by). Victorian dyers specializing in black did a brisk business in converting wardrobes to mourning clothes.

The Victorians took with enthusiasm to the bright dyes developed in the mid-nineteenth century. It's not just the Demi-Mondaine; Impressionist paintings are full of perfectly proper ladies (and some self-portraits) in eye-wateringly electric colors. In an era of harsh new electric lighting the brighter colors looked exciting, and even bright lemon yellow, scorned since the Regency, came back into fashion.

Here's a myth: Mauve is a droopy, washed out pale lavender-grey.

Actually, mauvine, the dye, is an eye-wateringly electric hot pink, closely related to magenta, but it is very short-lived and fades quickly. By the time the young adults of the 1920s were snickering at their grandparents, all that mauve had faded to a dull blue-grey, the color we have associated with mauve ever since.

Last edited: