• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entry Way Publishing & Marketing

LisaLogan

I was duped by this place and wanted to post my experience here to warn others.

I contracted to do some freelance editing, writing, and graphics for this place. Discovered they were charging the authors for all their artwork, book doctoring, ghostwriting, and publishing. They took money from one writer and had me to do the editing, graphics, research, and what they called "brainstorming." Then they refused to pay me. I was stood up over the phone more than once, and Emails either went ignored or the head of the company, VicToria Freudiger, would refuse to explain. The cockamamie reason I got was that it would be "too complicated and time consuming" to have to do so. Yeah right. Try me.

Now she's blocked my Email address completely. Sure, I can send invoices by snail, but I'm sure they'll go straight in the circular file. And I found out I'm not the first this has happened to.

It would seem that this publisher is either completely unscrupulous or in financial trouble. Either way, anyone considering freelancing for them or publishing a book through them should think twice. I'd hate to see anyone else get ripped off or have this place go belly up before their book could get pubbed.

--LJS

BradyMagazine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bradymagazine.com
Wow... in complete shock...

Hello everyone,

Wow, I stumbled upon this thread and am in complete shock-- I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you Lisa! I've done work without receiving payment before, so I completely know how you feel.

I've been contracted to do a few editing jobs through Entry Way in the past (about six months ago actually) and newsletters as well, but have never had any trouble receiving payments from Entry Way or the clients the company has referred to me.

I had no idea any of this was going on! Is there anything I can try to do to help? I know I've had nothing to do with this, but I feel horrible!

Being the owner of a writing website and having a great time working with writers every day, I can't stand that this has been happening right under my nose, and through someone I have worked with before-- what should I be feeling right now? Right now, it's a mixture of things.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
BradyMagazine said:
I had no idea any of this was going on! Is there anything I can try to do to help? I know I've had nothing to do with this, but I feel horrible!
That's assuring, since the horrid website alone reflects poorly on your association with them. What exactly is your partnership? I'd hate to think they're using your name for a veneer of respectability.

BradyMagazine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bradymagazine.com
need some Pepto

Hi CaoPaux,

I was actually recruited to edit manuscripts for her, and since then it has led to completing promotional materials for her clients-- monthly newsletters, etc. She's also placed ads in my newsletters and on the website. I have never once had a problem receiving payment from Entry Way or her clients though, which is why I am so shocked to find this post, and feel terrible about what has happened.

Should I try to talk to her? I'm sick to my stomach about this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much for your understanding and support.

Roma Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Entry Way Publishing

Hey everyone!

I'm actually in need of some advice about "Entry Way Publishing" in the USA, can anyone help me with info on this company? I hope I have the right forum group to post this in, if not, forgive me now ;)

Has anyone ever done a background check on these people, cause I'm having trouble finding out anything about them (the real "them"). I believe they are big time scam artist's with proof being that they have stollen money from a freind without doing anything for my freind and their book. They made all sorts of promises and haven't kept one yet, it's always something for an excuse they use, of why they haven't gotten my friends book out there yet, and they always ask for more money. Has anyone had such a problem with this company????

Anything anyone can tell me would be very gratefully appritiated. It has been so hard finding an honest publisher out there who can keep the promises made. I can only hope to have better luck when it is my turn to publish my book, than the luck my freind has had.

Thanks for reading, I appriciate that.

RLee

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I visited their site. They're a vanity publisher. What else is there to say--other than don't pay to get published.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
The setup fee for a book over 200-pages is $2,500. Now I would even think that PA might be a better deal than this. Sorry, off the cuff.

WHY OH WHY WOULD ANYONE GO WITH SUCH AN OUTFIT? Lining pockets with author's dream. Does that sound familiar? Please stay away from the likes of these publishers. Actually, they're vanity printers.

Tri

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Digi-Tall Media, part of Entry Way Publishing/Marketing

Digi-Tall Media also has its own website now, although the contact information is for Entry Way Marketing. Does anyone know more about Digi-Tall as a publisher? Are they POD? (With that name, they must use POD or e-books, but there's no indication of the format on the web page.) Do they still charge authors fees for services? (The original posts on Entry Way says that they charged for ghostwriting (another trainwreck waiting to happen), marketing, publishing, editing, etc.)

On a true crime list, someone posted a press release about a book called "I'm Sorry I Lied to You," the Confession of Scott Peterson by Donna Thomas. The book does show up on the company's website (http://www.digi-tall-media.com/) but it doesn't show up on Amazon. You'd think that a book where someone reveals that Scott Peterson confessed would at least be listed on Amazon. ;)

Here's the press release. Their marketing efforts seem pretty pathetic anway. If this author really got a confession from Scott Peterson, why are we hearing it only on places such as Marketwire, and hearing it only just now? A better publisher with this book would be getting her on radio and TV shows!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Do they still charge authors fees for services? (The original posts on Entry Way says that they charged for ghostwriting (another trainwreck waiting to happen), marketing, publishing, editing, etc.)
Well, they were running a Fall Special for half-off "all Entry Way Marketing and Publishing packages", so I'd say yes. :cool:

They've dropped the separate sites for children's and poetry.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

dgford

Registered
Reaction score
Central New York, Syracuse in particular.
If you feel you must pay for printing services, what are you getting?

Most presses, vanity or otherwise, DO charge for services rendered. This isn't a scam idea. If you can't draw, and need an artist for your book interior or your cover, then you must look for these services somewhere. Either with the folks putting out your book, or some other individual or business.

If the interior requires some major editing, and it's not done, then those services are also available for a fee. Seriously, where the problem comes in is where a printer is requiring folks to pay a large up front charge to put it into print along with stipulating the author must buy 100s of copies. This is where their colors start to show.

As an editor I refine my own book interior, and I do my own color covers. In my case I can cut out the middlemen, but not all writers can do this, so they need help. That help generally is not free unless a friend is doing the art or editing. There is no crime in a printer asking for money if you need editing assistance or color cover work.

Where eagles fly,
Don Greywolf Ford

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Most presses, vanity or otherwise, DO charge for services rendered. . . .

Huh?

Vanity and subsidy publishers charge. That, plus selling the books to the authors, is how they make their money. Legitimate commercial publishers handle editing, formatting, covers, and more, at their expense.

(Even my tiny micro-publisher self does or pays for all of that AND pays royalties, with an advance up front. But then, I'm not accepting any more books.)

--Ken

Last edited: