PDA

View Full Version : Beta Reader requested for 152k words Teen Espionage novel

fahrenheit9on1
08-28-2016, 05:34 AM
Hi everyone,

First time doing this, so I hope I'm doing it right.

I'm looking for beta readers for a teen espionage novel I've just finished. I've rewritten it 3 times now and have done a full revision and I feel it is now ready to be read by someone else. This would be the first book in the series so I really want to know if its a story worth writing before I move on to any more.

Be as brutal as you'd like. I need any help I can get and I'll be more than glad to be told I'm terrible if that's what it takes to get better. I'll be happy with any feedback I can get: what works, what needs to be said, what doesn't need to be said; anything at all really. I'll be glad to get big picture or line by line comments. Tell me what's believable and what isn't. At this point, I feel like I need real feeback from a reader's perspective.

Thank you!

BarbaraSheridan
08-28-2016, 08:58 PM
152K? That's not a typo?

VeryBigBeard
08-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Consider posting in Share Your Work before asking for betas. Doing so helps the community here get a feel for your writing and you'll sometimes get beta offers if someone thinks there's a good fit. Just as likely, though, is that people can point out the issues in a ~1000-word opener that will likely recur throughout the book. Much easier to identify those in an excerpt with a diversity of voices than rely on three betas reading the entire thing.

You'll need 50 posts to post in SYW. Easiest way to get those is by critting others in SYW. Password: vista. Critting will help show you the weaknesses in your own work and a lot of people you crit will return crits on yours when you post.

152K is going to be too long, so it might be a good idea to cut it down before asking for betas. A good beta should be finding minor things, not getting bogged down in over-description or slow plotting. Again, SYW can help. But 152K is going to be impossible to publish, especially as a YA thriller.

elizabeth13
09-09-2016, 12:11 AM
fahrenheit9oh1, I'm happy to beta read the first few chapters and give you feedback on those. 152k is around twice the length of a normal YA novel, so you've either got two books or a lot of stuff to cut.