Police raid finds 650 "Critically Endangered" pangolin corpses frozen in an Indonesian house

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Police raid finds 650 "Critically Endangered" pangolin corpses frozen in an Indonesian house

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/26/indonesia-seizes-hundreds-of-frozen-pangolins
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37196635

Indonesian authorities have seized more than 650 critically endangered pangolins found hidden in freezers and arrested a man for allegedly breaking wildlife protection laws, police said on Friday.

Police discovered the pangolins, known as “scaly anteaters”, when they raided a house in Jombang district on the main island of Java after local residents became suspicious about the large number of freezers in the property.

A total of 657 pangolins, which are consumed as a luxury dish in China and used in traditional medicine, were found wrapped in plastic and stored in five large freezers, East Java province police spokesman Raden Prabowo Argo Yuwono told AFP.

What gets me is that all the little creatures are curled up into balls, as if they were put in the freezers alive to freeze to death.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Awww man. That would make me sad with any animal, but 650 has to be a huge chunk of those left in the wild?

I met a biologist once who was served pangolin at a banquet when he made a trip to China. When he realized what the pork-like meat actually was, he expressed concern over it being from an endangered species, his host smiled proudly and said, "Yes. It's a very rare animal!"

I know it's wrong to judge other cultures' values (and am surely blind to many of my own culture's issues), but OMG that kind of thing pisses me off.

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
What gets me is that all the little creatures are curled up into balls, as if they were put in the freezers alive to freeze to death.

Certainly not excusing anything about any of this. It's horrific, and I hope everyone involved is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

But if it helps anyone sleep tonight, I'm going to chose to believe they were slaughtered and then vacuum-sealed that way to save space or because that's the way the body would naturally curve under pressure. I just can't really tolerate the other possibility.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:gaah

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi