• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Critique Partner for Adult Urban Fantasy WIP—90k

Status
Not open for further replies.

CruciatusCrescendo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to this forum. This is my first post. But I would really love it if I could find someone willing to take a look at some of my WIP. (And I'd be happy to exchange with someone too.) I've been working on it for two years on and off, and it still needs a lot of work, but I'm at the point where I'm really unsure of what direction to take with my edits, so I would love some fresh eyes.

Some things about my novel-in-progress:

-About 90,000 words
-Genre's kind of weird, but urban fantasy is the best I can fit it into
-The Premise: Thirty years ago, there existed a world of magic. The fairies lived hidden from the mortals, and there were constant wars between the dark fairies and the light fairies. This was until Mercy, a dark fairy, seized control and ended up destroying all the magic. Most of the fairies died or lost their powers. Now Mercy is forced to be the hero and, along with her mortal nephew and nieces, bring back the magic and save the fairies that she once destroyed.
-The POV is a little bit experimental. It's 3rd person limited, but it's a bit stream-of-consciousnessy, like As I Lay Dying, and there are several different POV characters, like in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
-It is the first book in a trilogy, and I will hopefully write more than those three in this universe, as I have lots of backstory that I would love to someday tell.
-There's some sexual assault and abusive relationship stuff, although that's not the main focus, so if you are uncomfortable with that, please don't read it.

Things I'd like someone looking at this to focus on:
-What's confusing, especially with respect to world building and backstory. (Obviously some things are meant to be confusing as they are revealed later, but I've been in this universe so long that sometimes it's hard to know what a newcomer would find confusing.)
-Which characters you like and which you dislike
-Where plot is too slow
Really just anything else would be great too. I really don't know the best way to move forward at this point, but I just want to tell this story. I've shared this with a couple friends, but I've never really had anyone properly look over it. I really don't know what the etiquette is or anything. I'm entirely new to this process, but anything would be helpful.

Thanks,

Harrison

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I heckle from the audience? (You can always tell the places that have a two-drink minimum, huh?)

It sounds to me like you don't have a market-ready manuscript that needs a few beta readers. What you have is a WIP, a work in progress, not yet in its final polished form. That needs a critique partner, which is perfectly acceptable and which many people find very useful, rather than a beta reader.

It'll help you get exactly what you want if you ask for the right thing. The term "beta reader" comes from the computer industry's beta testers, who'd use a program or play a game its creators thought was ready to market, seeking anything which might still be wrong with it so it could be fixed before going public. For writers, a beta reader is the very last reader before a work is submitted to agents or publishers or is self-published.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

CruciatusCrescendo

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. You are right. I've kept to myself for most of my writing and am not super familiar with the jargon. Thank you very much. Is there a way I can change the title of this thread? Or do I need to delete the thread and make a new one? I really appreciate the help.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes. You are right. I've kept to myself for most of my writing and am not super familiar with the jargon. Thank you very much. Is there a way I can change the title of this thread? Or do I need to delete the thread and make a new one? I really appreciate the help.

I believe you should be able to edit the title by clicking the edit button at the bottom right of the first post of this thread. Press the button "go advanced" and you can change the title of the thread.

Edit: You figured it out right as I was posting this! :tongue

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I have a contemporary adult fantasy work in progress, if you'd be willing to swap. Many of the same issues as you; triology-potential and lots of history and plot to manage. Send me a PM if you're interested in trying it out:)

jgmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Sent you a PM

- - - Updated - - -

@ CruciatusCrescendo Sent you a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.