Which territory if you had to choose?

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
If you could choose rep in the UK, or the US, would you inevitably choose the US? For genre fiction, and both agents have good rep ...
Thanks

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Not necessarily. One can have an agent really anywhere in the world. I think it would depend more on not just the genre but the content. Would you say your work seems more British or American (and there is a difference, yes). What are your plans with future work? Which market do you think would best appreciate your writing?

Yes you can sell foreign rights, but that's second to first publication rights. So yeah, what do you think suits your book better?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents usually charge 15% on home sales and 20% on foreign sales. So if your book is likely to sell more in America, you could end up a lot better off with a US agent, as you'll pay home rates on those sales.

However, I'd probably choose an agent I could easily meet up with from time to time. I find that personal interaction very valuable.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much guys for taking the time to post. I can't really say more or ask any follow up questions without being indiscreet, I've realised (though I really want to!) But will bear in mind what you've said.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yes you can sell foreign rights, but that's second to first publication rights. So yeah, what do you think suits your book better?

First rights isn't a thing to do with the home territory. Every set of rights has first publication rights associated with it. So, there will be a first time for a book to be published in paperback in the UK, in paperback in the US, and so on.

I know of agents who have sold foreign and translation rights for their clients before securing a home deal. It happens. It's not a big deal.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sorry I didn't know the term for it so made one up, lol. Maybe shouldn't have done that now in retrospect, I apologise. I guess I meant the home sale, the publication on home turf as it were. Which, while yes can come second to foreign deals, often remains the first deal that happens and often is the impetus then for foreign publishers to have a look. At least that's been my experience and the experience of lots of authors I know. The larger point was simply that the market matters and what would make the most sense would be to have an agent in the market most likely to want to buy your book.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I feel a need to caveat all this with "with all things being equal". Ultimately honestly I think a good match with an agent, them being good at their job, them understanding your work and loving it, all of that is far more important than where they are located. As as others here have said, they can sell to any market in the world for you.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Very true, Toothpaste.