Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone excited for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided next Tuesday?

I don't normally preorder games, but I made an exception for this one since I got a good deal on the PC version. Human Revolution was an all-around solid RPG--boss battles aside--and I'm excited to see what they've cooked up for this one. The snippets of the story I've seen in trailers and previews sound great, and I can't wait to see what new augmentations they've added.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I loved DX:HR, so I'm nervously excited for Mankind Divided. The best news is that Michael McCann is doing the soundtrack again.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Here's one review.

Looks positive.

Just like the last entry, 2011's DX: Human Revolution, this game puts you in the shoes of the same cybernetically enhanced anti-hero, offers the same "play how you want" system, and even replicates a lot of the last game's powers, controls, and aesthetic. You'd be forgiven for glancing at a snippet of gameplay and wondering which game is which.

Don't be fooled. While DX:MD has its issues with visual polish and hews a little too close to its source material, this is a rare case of a big-budget, super-huge sequel that builds upon its old foundation with deep, high-quality content in seemingly every aspect. Action, stealth, characters, dialogue, plot, and urban exploration come together in a tightly built world, and the results will delight anybody who loves a good first-person adventure game.

Even better, that's only half of what's being offered here. DX:MD ships with an additional mode: the surprisingly meaty "Breach" quest.

Not perfect, but seems a thumbs up to me.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
Just been reading the Steam reviews. Sounds like it's a great game with...issues.

Micro-transactions on a single player game. Pretty bad.
Save-locked micro-transactions?? WTF Square Enix? WT actual F?

The micro-transactions are why I'm waiting.

And I'm cheap.

*shrugs*

That stuff hasn't bothered me so far. The micro-transactions do feel sleazy considering it's a single-player game, but I don't have a huge issue having them as an option for some players. They said they balanced the game independently of the micro-transactions, and that seems accurate so far.

The pre-order stuff being locked to a single save is odd though. I'd rather not have the pre-order bonuses at all for my playthrough, but I get why people aren't happy with that.

Some people have reported technical issues, but I've been fine so far aside from one crash last night.

dragonfliet

Registered
Reaction score
Some thoughts for this old thread:

Micro-transactions. They don't matter at all. You CAN buy your way through the game (very pay to win), but I'm honestly not even sure how one would access the store? Just through steam or something? The game doesn't promote mico-transactions at all, and I was overpowered pretty quickly without ever even looking at these things. Granted, I tend to explore everything and steal and sell everthing when I play these games. I think I had 90,000 credits just...left over, when I finally finished the game. It was a bit silly, to be honest.

The game: It's great! Gameplay is pretty much the same as the last one, but the levels are bigger. I miss the art style from Human Revolution (the gold tint was a fun gimmick), but it still looks great. There are no forced boss fights, and the game is both relatively challenging, while also very accommodating to whichever playstyle you prefer.

The writing: not great. The comparisons to people who can literally chuck metal dumpsters like a regular person could a basketball to people of color is completely insane. And they keep harping on it. Heavy-handed political commentary aside, the writing is alright, and there are some fun twists and mysteries, but it's not particularly great.

The ending: The game ends really abruptly. The final mission seems pretty obvious, but the way they wrap up the plotlines and then discuss your choices through the game is silly and annoying.

Overall it was a wonderful game I enjoyed the hell out of, though.

MadNorthNorthwest

Registered
Reaction score
The writing: not great. The comparisons to people who can literally chuck metal dumpsters like a regular person could a basketball to people of color is completely insane. And they keep harping on it. Heavy-handed political commentary aside, the writing is alright, and there are some fun twists and mysteries, but it's not particularly great.

The ending: The game ends really abruptly. The final mission seems pretty obvious, but the way they wrap up the plotlines and then discuss your choices through the game is silly and annoying.

I'm convinced that the game ends so abruptly because the publisher had them cut the last third of it out so they could either sell it as dlc or push up the release of the next sequel and therefore mimic the prolific Assassin's Creed franchise. Anyone with any sense of the internal logic or rhythm of a narrative, anyone who watches enough films, reads enough books or plays enough games can tell that it clearly wasn't finished. Whole plot threads go unresolved, characters appear only to disappear, subplots from the first game are mentioned and then left by the wayside.

The shame of it is that in terms of gameplay I feel the series has improved with MD; unfortunately the writing seems to have taken a step back, which is impressive given that Human Revolution, much as I love it, isn't exactly Shakespeare.

Status
Not open for further replies.