PDA

View Full Version : New Review Site for Self-Published Books

havefaith22
08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Hi! First off, please let me know if this is the wrong place to post this and I'll move it. :)

My writing partner and I (both published by either small presses or self-published) are seeking to create a review site where amazing self-published and small press books will be showcased and reviewed. We will only write reviews for books that meet our high standards (which means no 1, 2, 3 or 4 star reviews). If it doesn't meet our standards, we just won't write a review. No embarrassment to you. The purpose of the site is for readers to come to a place where they can trust all books reviewed are excellent reads and absent of grammatical errors, poor writing, etc., and for unknown authors to be recognized.

If you'd like to learn more about our site, Amazing Books...You Never Heard Of, please visit: www.amazingbooksynho.com (http://www.amazingbooksynho.com). Most genres are accepted, but books must have been published within the past year. And, obviously, there's no cost to submit.

havefaith22
08-22-2016, 06:20 PM
My writing partner and I (both published by either small presses or self-published) are seeking to create a review site where amazing self-published and small press books will be showcased and reviewed. We will only write reviews for books that meet our high standards (which means no 1, 2, 3 or 4 star reviews). If it doesn't meet our standards, we just won't write a review. No embarrassment to you. The purpose of the site is for readers to come to a place where they can trust all books reviewed are excellent reads and absent of grammatical errors, poor writing, etc., and for unknown authors to be recognized.

If you'd like to learn more about our site, Amazing Books...You Never Heard Of, please visit:www.amazingbooksynho.com (http://www.amazingbooksynho.com/). Most genres are accepted, but books must have been published within the past year. And, obviously, there's no cost to submit.

CaoPaux
08-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Threads merged.

We discourage pimping services here; however, I'll let this ride for the time being....

How do you intend to attract readers to your site?

A sample review would go a long way toward assuring both authors and readers you know what "amazing" is, and can articulate it.

havefaith22
08-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Hello Cao. Thank you for your comment. I apologize if this came across as pimping. We are in no way profiting or gaining anything from creating this review site. It truly is just an attempt to help expose self-published writers to readers. As of now, we've been reaching out to authors on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. We have had submissions, but nothing we'd recommend to readers as great reading. We figured putting out a request on Absolute Write (where we met and gained a lot of knowledge) might bring in higher quality books. Note that we also recommend Absolute Write as a valuable writing resource in our passes.

Our plan to gain a readership is similar. We will be making announcements on social media. I can't say how successful this will be, but am hoping it will generate word of mouth. I do like your idea about putting out a sample review so authors/readers can get a glimpse into what they can expect. Thank you again.

xbriannova
08-23-2016, 06:22 AM
Why not 4 stars? I think a 4-Star rating is still great.

EDIT: By the way, the banner is pixellated...

veinglory
08-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Wow. I have run a self-pub book review blogs for many years. I only select titles I expect to enjoy. But I probably still only give about 5-10% of them 5/5. IMHO if you only every give 5/5 what is the point of having a rating--its very presence suggests to the reader that you grade on a scale, not select books based on it? You could just say "we only post reviews of excellent books" and leave it at that?

No matter how carefully you select, that suggests--to me--a fairly inflated grading system. Are you expecting to love all the books, or just either not finish or not review many/most of them? Because even with my harsher grading metric and failure to post a review in many months, I get several submissions every single day, often 10-20 over a weekend. Indie authors do not expect or require great ratings in a reviewer, just a degree of insight in the review and honesty.

havefaith22
08-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Hello! There will not be any stars, actually; it's just an example of the quality of books we'll be posting. Do books have to be perfect in every way? No, they don't. But we will only review books that are well written, polished and hold our interest. That's worth 5 stars to me, but may be someone else's 4 star rating. It's all subjective.

Regarding the pixellation, we did the best we could with our website with zero money. Website design is not really our specialty. :tongue If anyone would like to donate their talents, we'd surely accept them!

veinglory
08-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Perhaps you could say a little about the motivation behind your blog and how you plan to develop it over time?

havefaith22
08-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Hi Emily, it seems a lot of people are zeroing in on the star rating. However, if you look at our site, we don't mention stars of any level (we just say "amazing" books), and perhaps I shouldn't have used it as an example above. The point I was trying to make is that we are only reviewing books that we feel meet all our criteria - good writing, plot, characterization, etc. As authors ourselves, we can relate to low ratings, and how they affect your confidence as a writer. We wanted to avoid that altogether with our site. And for readers, when it comes to self-published books, you never know the quality you're going to get when you purchase. We hope that by creating a site like this, people can buy any of the books we review with confidence and talented authors who have yet to be noticed can get some time in the spotlight.

VeryBigBeard
08-23-2016, 07:07 PM
I guess my question would be, as a reader, if every review is for an amazing book, how do I know that the book is one I want to read? How do you review beyond superlatives and basic competencies?

Regarding the pixellation, we did the best we could with our website with zero money. Website design is not really our specialty. :tongue If anyone would like to donate their talents, we'd surely accept them!

From my quick glance, you're using Wordpress of some sort. What's happening with your banner is that the photo you're using is too small for the banner width, so the theme is stretching it above its original size, which causes pixelation. Use a bigger version of the photo.

You can figure out a lot of basic design problems with 20 minutes and Google. I'm sympathetic to having no money, but if readers are turned off the site, how does it help authors?

I can tell you mean well here, but it seems like you're thinking of this like authors. It's not really about getting the review. It's about engaging readers.

LJD
08-23-2016, 07:16 PM
I took a quick look at your site.

"The room was large" is not passive voice. Just saying...