PDA

View Full Version : Spam filter panic attack

spork
08-18-2016, 04:03 AM
I'm currently querying a thriller and spam filters are ruining my life. On Monday, I fished a full request from one of my dream agents out of my spam box because even my own e-mail account thought the quoted sample pages were sketchy. This has happened numerous times.

The agent didn't acknowledge receipt of my manuscript. Based on QueryTracker, she turns full requests around in record time. I don't want to wait three months and then find out she didn't receive it. Is it appropriate to send a second e-mail after a week or two asking if she received my full and was able to open the Word document? I don't want it to be perceived as a highly impatient nudge.

I'm sorry if this question has already been addressed. I just felt the need to spout my neuroses on the internet instead of having another panicked book-related conversation with my dog.

- spork

Carrie in PA
08-18-2016, 04:48 AM
Oh, yikes. That's why I really, REALLY appreciate the agencies who utilize an auto-responder. I don't really have advice, but I'll commiserate with you!

spork
08-18-2016, 04:52 AM
Oh, yikes. That's why I really, REALLY appreciate the agencies who utilize an auto-responder. I don't really have advice, but I'll commiserate with you!

Thanks, Carrie! They have an auto-response system for queries, but my full was sent to the agent's direct account. Ugh, I should have just replied to the original e-mail. I changed the subject line to remove the "query" part and it probably sent it as a completely separate e-mail.

I know that I need to calm down, but it's very frustrating. I don't know if agents aren't replying to queries because they're not interested or because they haven't received them. All replies go straight to my spam box.

ElaineA
08-18-2016, 05:08 AM
Spork, I think the general wisdom (and from what I've seen on my own requests) is to reply on the same thread they've requested from. Since you may not have...quite (?) (and it's NO BIG DEAL--don't beat yourself up over it) you certainly could drop that agent a note on the same thread where sh/e requested your full and just let them know you changed the subject line of your full submission and ask to confirm whether they got it. You won't be pestering. It's a 30 second email for the agent. They understand small mistakes like this and you're right, it's better not to wait only to find out they never got it.

Good Luck!

mayqueen
08-18-2016, 05:16 AM
I personally wouldn't send a follow-up email, but that's me. I'd be more likely to just keep an eye on my spam filter. I've only gotten confirmation of requested materials about half the time. Can you ask your email program to consider her email address 'safe' so you get the replies (like a filter on gmail)?

Quickbread
08-18-2016, 07:42 AM
If you did not reply to the email that requested your full, there is a chance the agent didn't get it even though you have her direct address. Many agents have filters set up that act much the same way as your spam filter.

I lean toward replying to the agent's email request with a quick note just double-checking whether the manuscript was received since you sent it as a new email rather than as a reply.

Moving forward, your spam filter sounds pretty aggressive. If this is an ongoing problem, maybe you should consider turning it off and filter your spam mail manually from your inbox while you're querying.

Putputt
08-18-2016, 08:27 AM
I'm also leaning toward replying to the original thread and telling the agent you've had a spate of bad luck with your e-mail spam filter eating things up recently, and you just wanted to make sure that she received your MS okay. It's not a big deal, and I'm pretty sure she's not going to go, "ARGH, how DARE you send me a polite e-mail to make sure I got the materials I requested!!" ;) If she says she hasn't received it, send it as a reply to the thread, but add the words "REQUESTED MATERIAL" to the subject line.

Spam filters. Can't live with them, can't live without them. I've had my e-mail account for over ten years and never had a problem with the spam filter (that I know of!) until I got an agent offer, then the spam filter reared up its ugly little head and swallowed it. I was oblivious, and would have remained so, until said agent nudged me on Twitter. I still don't know what made my spam filter flag his message.

spork
08-18-2016, 12:12 PM
If she says she hasn't received it, send it as a reply to the thread, but add the words "REQUESTED MATERIAL" to the subject line.

I still don't know what made my spam filter flag his message.

Unfortunately, adding "REQUESTED MATERIAL" to my subject line is what made my e-mail account send it as a separate message. When I modified the subject, it made a new chain.

I'm really glad that I set up a designated querying e-mail so that filtering spam isn't difficult. Thank you for your advice!

P.S. I'm also Asian and I think your signature is hysterical.

Dmbeucler
08-18-2016, 07:52 PM
I think a lot of publishing is running on vacation/slow time right now, so if it was me, I'd wait till the first of September. However... a quick, "hey I'm worrying my submission was eaten by spamlings, did you see it?" with no pressure of "READ ME NOW" (and probably a less goofy tone, although I find the notion of a subculture of spamling emails evolving in my spam folder rather amusing... and possibly a short story) wouldn't burn any bridges.

My tuppence.