When compiling agents do you look only in country or out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In this modern world we live in do ya'll search everywhere or "locally." I know this may be a silly question, but I hadn't really thought about it until I saw an agent I liked but they are in a different county and realized I've probably never meet them. I'm curious on everyone's thoughts.

And if this is the wrong forum, boo on me. I couldn't make a decision on where to go, so I came here.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
I mainly look at agents within the USA because that's where I live and where many agents live and it's just easier. If I lived in a different country, I'd probably still query agents in the US. There's just so many here.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I look specifically in my own country until I come across an agent that I like that is in a different one, as you did. It's already stressful enough getting your book out there, I try not to make more rules then necessary. I say go for it (I know that wasn't the question in your post, but just in case).

Ah, UNLESS they only want subs from their own country. Then don't.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
When I was still trying to go the trade route, I looked both in my country (US) and out. Granted, I wanted to see that the agent had success getting the book to publishers that could reach the US market, but I was more interested in whether or not they would be a good fit for the story and as a business partner, and had connections to recommended publishers. Ended up going the self-publishing route instead, but if I were to look for agents again, I wouldn't rule out other countries (especially if the book might do better with a different audience).

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the US, so I only look in the US. Any agent worth having can sell international rights or work with partner agencies in other countries. I have approached publishers directly in other countries, but it's non-fiction technical so it's also a different ball game.

Jeff

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, and I've queried mostly American agents. There aren't many Canadian literary agents.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone. The agent in question sells to major (US)houses and does international distribution (they used to be base in NY). Putting "the list" together is hard! :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.