PDA

View Full Version : Sopona Cult?

Taylor Harbin
08-13-2016, 04:46 AM
I've tried Google and what I found wasn't as detailed as I'd hoped. Sopona was a West African deity worshipped in Yoruba culture. For years these cults exerted a lot of influence in British colonial lands until their undercover spies gathered enough intel to get them banned. They would threaten their enemies with smallpox infection.

I've been wanting to know more about how these cults operated, and how they worshipped. I can't find any books or articles online, so I thought someone here might might know something. I'm writing a story involving these cults (or elements thereof) but I don't want to make stuff up.

Duncan J Macdonald
08-13-2016, 08:04 PM
I've tried Google and what I found wasn't as detailed as I'd hoped. Sopona was a West African deity worshipped in Yoruba culture. For years these cults exerted a lot of influence in British colonial lands until their undercover spies gathered enough intel to get them banned. They would threaten their enemies with smallpox infection.

I've been wanting to know more about how these cults operated, and how they worshipped. I can't find any books or articles online, so I thought someone here might might know something. I'm writing a story involving these cults (or elements thereof) but I don't want to make stuff up.

Perhaps go to your local library and find this book (http://www.africanbookscollective.com/books/the-history-of-the-yorubas)?

King Neptune
08-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Are you sure you have the name right? There are plenty of sites that have information about Yoruba Gods, but that name does not appear.

Taylor Harbin
08-14-2016, 02:03 AM
Are you sure you have the name right? There are plenty of sites that have information about Yoruba Gods, but that name does not appear.

I've gotten contradictory info. Most sites tell me that the deity had several names and that Sopona was the god's "real" name that no one would speak, lest they invite its wrath. Wikipedia has a biographical page about a doctor who infiltrated one of the cults, but I can't find a book on him.

Thanks for the recommendation Duncan.