Blocking/stopping someone hitting you with a cane

SinoFyl

Registered
Reaction score
Aloha:

I have a sharp-tongued old Chinese lady in my book who likes to thwack people (usually in the shins) with her cane. She is, as usual, lecturing to my female MC and without warning tries to thwack her. I need a way to have my main character successfully prevent being hit, with the block simple enough to be reflexive (the female main character grew up with with five brothers).

Any suggestions? It would be even better if the evasive maneuver manages to cause the old lady to topple (which shouldn't be hard, as she has bound feet).

I could just have my main character jump backwards to avoid being hit, but I'm hoping for something more interesting and proactive.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the strike is aimed for the lower leg, the simplest block is to raise the front foot and block with the sole of the shoe. You can then shift weight forward and stomp down on the cane, which will usually pull it out of the hand of the attacker, unless they have considerable hand strength. If you give your protagonist even a little bit of training, they'll know enough to keep their weight on their back leg, so the block is quick. I've used this block to defend against incoming front kicks. It works.

If the attack is coming in high, the best bet is to get in close so you aren't being struck with the fastest-moving part of the cane. If you can block with your forearm right around where the attacker is gripping, it might rip out of their hand just from the momentum of the cane. Otherwise, assuming you are blocking with opposite arm (left arm attacker, right arm defender), you follow the block by moving your arm up and over theirs, then down so that the weapon is trapped against your body. Continue the motion and it'll be stripped right out of their hand. You can even, if you're fast enough, grab the weapon with your opposite hand behind your back before it falls. I've done that against arnise sticks. It's hit and miss (nyuk nyuk), but if you grab successfully, you now have the attacker's weapon. That's pretty intimidating.

Last edited:

SinoFyl

Registered
Reaction score
If the strike is aimed for the lower leg, the simplest block is to raise the front foot and block with the sole of the shoe. You can then shift weight forward and stomp down on the cane, which will usually pull it out of the hand of the attacker, unless they have considerable hand strength. If you give your protagonist even a little bit of training, they'll know enough to keep their weight on their back leg, so the block is quick. I've used this block to defend against incoming front kicks. It works.

If the attack is coming in high, the best bet is to get in close so you aren't being struck with the fastest-moving part of the cane. If you can block with your forearm right around where the attacker is gripping, it might rip out of their hand just from the momentum of the cane. Otherwise, assuming you are blocking with opposite arm (left arm attacker, right arm defender), you follow the block by moving your arm up and over theirs, then down so that the weapon is trapped against your body. Continue the motion and it'll be stripped right out of their hand. You can even, if you're fast enough, grab the weapon with your opposite hand behind your back before it falls. I've done that against arnise sticks. It's hit and miss (nyuk nyuk), but if you grab successfully, you now have the attacker's weapon. That's pretty intimidating.

Thanks for the detailed response! I was wondering if my MC would be able to catch the cane and grab it out of the old lady's hands, but wasn't sure if it would be plausible.
I like the idea of blocking the strike with the sole of her shoe, especially as the old lady usually goes for the shins and the block seems reflexive. Would this work if the old lady was in front of her, or would it work better if the MC was more to the side?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine the position your MC is in would only affect the follow-up blow to the block, if you want a follow-up move to the block, that is.

For example, if the MC is off to the side, after a foot block she may dart in for a punch using the same foot to lead. If facing the old lady (OL), the MC could use the same blocking foot to lead the dart, or she could step into the OL's space with the other foot.

Although, alternatively, if the MC has had training, she may sense the strike coming and move to block the arm or wrist but not the cane itself (since the cane will hurt more and the idea is to hopefully stay unscathed when defending) with her hand/arm. The MC might use a block that chops down and out to knock the cane away, then grip the offending wrist at which point the MC simultaneously jerks the arm towards her, steps into the OL's space and strikes the OL (or pushes her backwards which would result in the OL falling over). The key here is that the grip, jerk, step, and strike/push are simultaneously done; it's one move, no sequence.

Generally, I would expect a person with some training to follow through and if a threat isn't imminent, they might pull out of the subsequent attack immediately. Beginners, however, might stop at the block 'cos they don't yet have the experience, or have yet to develop the instinct, to naturally follow through with an attack. So, the level of training your MC has would also affect what happens after the block.

Hope this wasn't too confusing and helped a bit.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of blocking the strike with the sole of her shoe, especially as the old lady usually goes for the shins and the block seems reflexive. Would this work if the old lady was in front of her, or would it work better if the MC was more to the side?

Depends on training and such, but if you want the most plausible to the average untrained reader, have the old lady off to the side, swinging for the front of the shins. That way the victim just has to bring their foot up in front of them to block.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Thanks for the detailed response! I was wondering if my MC would be able to catch the cane and grab it out of the old lady's hands, but wasn't sure if it would be plausible.

Don't block the weapon - block the arm. Imagine if it's a blade - if it hits you, you lose. Same if it's a baseball bat. Avoiding the contact is the aim.

Raising the foot to block with the shoe would be fine if they're wearing decent shoes, but you've left yourself on one foot (unbalanced) and done nothing to prevent a follow-up strike. It's very kung fu, which is great if your character is a kung fu master with enough technique to follow the block with something damaging. Or not if your character is untrained.

If this is an old habit of the woman, the character should be able to see it coming and step neatly out of the way. In jujitsu and judo, you step in the same direction the strike is travelling, so even if it does hit you it's lost some of its power. You also step in at the same time, which again reduces the power (if it were a punch, you'd rather be hit by the upper part of the arm than the fist on the end of it, it's simple leverage), and also puts you right in position for a counter - or simply to glare intimidatingly. You want to end up right in their comfort zone, too close for them to strike you again. The movement itself is just one step: move your hips and whole body together and then slide your other leg to follow. Never leave your balance behind. (This is pretty much the same as Angry Guy was suggesting for a high strike, though I'd go for an arm wrap block into a tai otoshi for that defence ;))

If your attacker is sitting or stooped (hence the shin strike) then your character is going to end up very close and very dominant. Even if they don't choose to attack in response, it's changed the dynamic. You can then play that as you wish for your story.

SinoFyl

Registered
Reaction score
Snitchat -- It helps a great deal. Thanks.

Angry guy -- I think this scenario works best, because this isn't actually a fight scene as such. Thank you.

James -- Yes, the MC cares if the OL gets hurt. That's why this isn't a fight scene as much as it's the old lady doing what she has done to others, and the MC reflexively blocking it. The MC doesn't passively accept the abuse other characters have. I think I have what I need now, thanks.

Onesecondglace -- I have considered the MC stepping out of the way, but wanted something more active. Also, a move that would perhaps reflect her upbringing with so many brothers. Thanks.

Last edited: