PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Scottish beta reader (for cultural authenticity): 40K middle grade mystery

austen
08-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Hi! I have a middle grade mystery that is set in Scotland. I've already gone through several drafts, so I don't need feedback on big picture issues or line editing at this point. I just need someone to look over it for authenticity, since I am not Scottish. Mostly, I want feedback on whether I've made any mistakes with the slang or cultural elements. I would happy to exchange manuscripts and have experience beta reading, although I'm best at critiquing MG/YA stuff.

Here's my query, so you can get a feel for the story:

Thirteen-year-old Sam has been counting down the days, hours and minutes till his family flies to Scotland. He canít wait to speak Scottish Gaelic, even if itís only a few words. But before his family leaves, a famous writer with a rare piece of Viking music shows up, looking for Samís dad. When they arrive in Edinburgh, Sam notices the writer following them. Soon after, his dad disappears at a castle in the Scottish Isles.

The island police are no help, and his mom is not herself. Itís up to Sam to figure out how the music is connected to his dadís disappearance. If Sam canít find his dad, Scotland might become Samís permanent home, and as excited as he was to travel to the UKóhe canít imagine staying, not without his dad.

Please respond here or PM me if you're interested. Thank you!

Koschei
08-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Do you still need someone for this? I'm from Central Scotland but I've been all over and know the differences in dialect, etc for different areas. I also speak a little Gaelic.

austen
08-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Yes, koschei, I'm still looking for someone. I'll PM you.

austen
12-17-2016, 11:24 PM
I'm looking for one more reader to have a look at this. If you're Scottish and have an eye for slang, please respond or PM me. Thank you!