Silly things you've said

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I tried a new lightweight sunscreen for my face then went out for an hour or so. When I came back into the house my husband said my face was wet, dripping almost. I said it might be that new sunscreen, then said,

"I need to use the other one - it's for outdoors."

Paused, then laughed. All sunscreens are meant for outdoors use, duh! :Sun:

(I think I meant the other is labeled waterproof for sports etc.)

What silly thing have you said recently?

Last edited:

R.Barrows

Count the Electrons
Registered
Reaction score
I once got a new barbecue for college graduation. I was living in an apartment at the time and our next door neighbors were from Jamaica. They didn't have a barbecue, so I offered them my old one which was still in good condition. Everything was cool until a week later when the wife from next door shows up on my porch and says, "You've got to try my barbecue."

I figured there must be something wrong with it so I asked her, "why? Is there something wrong with it?"

"No," she replied with a confused look. "It's great."

"Then why do you want me to try it?" I asked.

"Because... I want you to try it."

I raise an eyebrow, not clear on why she needed me to try it if there was no problem. There must be something wrong with it. "Well, I can try and fix it for you."

"Fix it? No, no. There's nothing wrong with it. I just want you to try it. You'll really like it."

"Uh... yeah. It was always good for me," I tell her. (I'd used it for years. Why would I need to try it)?

"No, no," she says in exasperation. "It's lamb. Jamaican lamb. Very good."

Then I got it. By 'barbecue' she meant the food. She wanted me to try her food. Geez... The lamb was excellent but I felt very awkward after that. I'm not sure if she ever understood my misunderstanding of what she meant. I probably insulted her, uh... barbecue.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

One of my brothers used to say: I keep my sanity by using it as little as possible.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I received a book on dinosaurs and as I was flipping through looking at the illustrations, I piped up "These are great but I would have preferred photos." :e2paperba

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
After going around for a while calling Murphy's Law "Murray's Law," my husband came up with "Murie's Law:" "Given the choice of two similar words, Murie will inevitably choose the wrong one."

Yeah... I'm bad at talking.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is second-hand, but my girlfriend's grandmother had a picture of Jesus on her TV. I asked if it was a drawing or a painting, and my friend told me her grandmother insisted it was a photograph. Of course, I never met the woman and don't know if she was joking or had dementia or what.

M.Charles

On Sub
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notastepfordlife.com
I was on the phone w/the vice principal of the school board that I was homeschooling through.

Eldest dd was tormenting her then 3 yo brother, by smacking around his stuffed animal, and making him whine and cry.

I finally snapped, "Quit spanking your brother's monkey!" mid conversation.

Dead silence from the VP. I hastened to explain, since the ground didn't swallow me whole, and he had such a hard time not losing it, he sounded like a demented tea kettle, trying to control his giggling.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I was in Colorado with my sister and BIL on vacation, and we went to a sporting goods store to stock up on stuff. While my BIL was talking fish with the owner, my sister and I wandered around, browsing. I came upon a Bear Bell.

"Never Sneak up on a Bear Again!" it said.

I stared at it for a long time until my sister walked over and asked me what was wrong.

"Well," I said, turning the package over in my hand, "how do you get the bell on the bear?"

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's a bell you wear on your wrist or whatever if you go hiking in woods, so bears hear you coming and you don't just appear and startle like, a mama bear and her cubs and then become bear snack. Like a bird bell on a cat, except the predator/prey relationship is reversed sorta, heh.

I was in Colorado with my sister and BIL on vacation, and we went to a sporting goods store to stock up on stuff. While my BIL was talking fish with the owner, my sister and I wandered around, browsing. I came upon a Bear Bell.

"Never Sneak up on a Bear Again!" it said.

I stared at it for a long time until my sister walked over and asked me what was wrong.

"Well," I said, turning the package over in my hand, "how do you get the bell on the bear?"

LOL.

Ok, this isn't actually stupid but it was funny... I was talking to someone on the phone, and she was telling me her teen son had recently gotten ferrets that are ok, but nippy. So she went to ask him something, apparently paused before entering his room, knocked loudly and intoned: "are the ferrets free?" In this very deep, imposing, serious voice. When I burst out laughing she realized and said she said it like that in case he had headphones on, but still funny.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
So a hungry bear is more likely to run away when they hear the bell than think 'ooh, food!' ?

Serious question. We don't have bears.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Does your food usually wear a bell? :)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
LOL, well, bears don't want to eat people. They prefer easy meals like berries and birdseed and garbage. Most bear attacks are because a person has gotten between the mom and the cubs. I worry about this a lot when I'm with the dogs in the woods at our mountain place. I don't wear a bell, but I talk to the dogs almost non-stop. They're hunters, so if they hear or smell something, they go silent rather than bark, and I don't want to be sneaking up on no mama bear no thank you.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. Like I said, we don't have bears so I don't know what normal bear behaviour would be.

Sorry for the derail!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is second-hand, but my girlfriend's grandmother had a picture of Jesus on her TV. I asked if it was a drawing or a painting, and my friend told me her grandmother insisted it was a photograph. Of course, I never met the woman and don't know if she was joking or had dementia or what.

There is a radio station in Mexico, across the river from Del Rio Texas, called XERF. It was placed in Mexico back in the 20s or 30s to get around the regulations on strength of signal. It was owned by a man named "Dr." Brinkley (he was really interesting, google him). They did a lot of evangelical religious programming. One of their things was that for a donation of $1 you could get a "gen-u-wine autographed picture of Jesus Christ himself". May be your friend's grandmother had one of those. :evil

MM

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score