PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Discovery

WriterDude
08-09-2016, 01:54 AM
http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-u-s-s-discovery

Not much is known but we got some beauty shots of the new ship. Its been suggested that this takes place between Enterprise and The Original Series but this is yet to be confirmed, and if true, its a sequel to both the new movies and the original.

Either way, I'm watching with interest.

Introversion
08-09-2016, 03:23 AM
I'll need to see that no one who ever had anything to do with ST:Enterprise are involved with this. Also, if anyone who wrote for ST:Voyager is writing for this, that's a red flag for me.

Brightdreamer
08-09-2016, 03:34 AM
Hang on a sec - it looks like this "CBS All Access" thing is some sort of pay-stream service, like Netflix. So, is just the premiere ep going to be on regular, part-of-my-cable CBS, and the rest behind a paywall?

I suppose most of the good stuff's only available with extra pay these days... which sucks for those of us who can't afford it.

As for my impressions off this exceptionally minimalist glimpse... The ST franchise can be good:I liked TNG until they fell apart, and bits of DS9, and I liked the concept behind Voyager until that disintegrated, plus I've enjoyed the "reboot" movies. I really can't tell where this falls, though there was something more ominous than awe-inspiring in some of the imagery and music for some reason. I hope they're not going to turn the Federation and/or Starfleet into something Dark and Gritty, because it was always supposed to be about optimism and discovery.

Dennis E. Taylor
08-09-2016, 04:06 AM
They should have done a gag reel where the ship scraped along the sides of the drydock and everyone in the bridge was cringing. :roll:

Brightdreamer
08-09-2016, 04:08 AM
They should have done a gag reel where the ship scraped along the sides of the drydock and everyone in the bridge was cringing. :roll:

A Galaxy Quest launch?

WriterDude
08-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Hang on a sec - it looks like this "CBS All Access" thing is some sort of pay-stream service, like Netflix. So, is just the premiere ep going to be on regular, part-of-my-cable CBS, and the rest behind a paywall?

I suppose most of the good stuff's only available with extra pay these days... which sucks for those of us who can't afford it.

As for my impressions off this exceptionally minimalist glimpse... The ST franchise can be good:I liked TNG until they fell apart, and bits of DS9, and I liked the concept behind Voyager until that disintegrated, plus I've enjoyed the "reboot" movies. I really can't tell where this falls, though there was something more ominous than awe-inspiring in some of the imagery and music for some reason. I hope they're not going to turn the Federation and/or Starfleet into something Dark and Gritty, because it was always supposed to be about optimism and discovery.

I hope they keep it light too. Leave the dark outside in the big black, and the grit with the asteroids.

R.Barrows
08-09-2016, 04:26 PM
That was some mediocre CGI at best. This looks like something a high school student made at home.

heza
08-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Is it just me, or did something about that feel vaguely Klingon....?

WriterDude
08-09-2016, 09:30 PM
It does have a Klingon vibe doesn't it

Opty
08-10-2016, 09:35 AM
It's got a Klingon vibe because they're purposely using designs that were originally intended for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Apparently (I can't find the article link now), those designs were ultimately used for the Klingon battle-cruisers.

The CGI of that teaser is intentionally "mediocre" as it's more of a visual proof and not meant to be an official trailer. They went ahead and released that footage as a sort of teaser trailer for SDCC as part of the Star Trek anniversary and screening of ST: Beyond.

I'm interested in hearing some more details and I hope those come out soon. I'm not really a fan of that ship design and, given that it's preliminary, I hope the final model or computer-rendered design looks better. But, given that Nicholas Meyer (of Star Trek II fame) is connected to this series, I'm willing to reserve judgment. I'm hoping that it's a good series. We deserve one after the monstrosity that was ST: Enterprise.

talktidy
08-10-2016, 01:01 PM
In my declining years I am becoming a grumpy old crone, but what I see so far doesnít impress. Donít get me started on the reboot, which was almost as interminable as ST:TMP and a waste of a good cast.

As with everything the success of this show will depend on the quality of the scripts. I donít need Ibsen or Shakespeare. I do need scripts based in character with decent stories and not the half baked tripe that was served up as Voyager.

Opty
08-11-2016, 06:12 AM
While official new Star Trek adventures have been the sole territory of J.J. Abrams‘ cinematic franchise reboot for the last ten years, new voyages in the original or “Prime” universe are soon on their way via CBS’ streaming platform, CBS All-Access. And according to Star Trek: Discovery executive producer Bryan Fuller, those adventures will take place ten years before the first Enterprise’s five-year mission, and center on a female lead, though she will not be the captain of Discovery‘s titular ship.

“The story that is fascinating for me is we’ve seen six series from captains’ points of view,” said Fuller of the new lead’s rank at Wednesday’s Television Critics Association’s summer press tour. “To see a character who has a different dynamic relationship with the captain felt like it would give us different types of storylines. But we do have that female protagonist.”

http://nerdist.com/bryan-fuller-discusses-star-trek-discoverys-female-lead-setting-and-diversity/

So, the first series that ISN'T primarily from a captain's POV? That actually sounds interesting to me and a good way to turn the regular formula on its head.

JimmyB27
11-24-2016, 04:44 PM
First confirmed cast member is Michelle Yeoh (http://deadline.com/2016/11/star-trek-discovery-michelle-yeoh-cast-captain-1201859554/), who will be playing the captain of a different ship.