What are your favorite books?

Keyboard Cowboy

Professional Amateur
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for something really good to read. A book so good it earns a permanent spot on the book shelf at home. I'm not picky and will read just about anything, as long as it is written well. A few of my all-time favorites include: The Shrinking Man, On the Island, and The Hobbit. What are yours? =)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you're after recs, you might try the AW Bookclub; you might get more of a response there, especially if you put down a few more parameters (maybe a few definitely-nots or tried-and-hated).

As for my personal faves, a lot depends on my mood and why I'm reading. As a random scattershot sampling:

For nostalgia, I still love Tad Williams's Tailchaser's Song. For epic fantasy, I enjoyed TW's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy as well as his Shadowmarch quartet, and I've liked the first three books of GRRM's ASoFaI (Book 4's in the TBR pile, though I hear mixed reviews as the tale goes on.) Gary Paulsen's Hatchet (and Brian's Winter and Brian's Return) helped me through a tough time in my life, and I still revisit them now and again. I still have the entire Animorphs series. I greatly enjoyed Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books. Terry Pratchett almost never fails to amuse. Naomi Novik created a great alternate-history world in her Temeraire novels (though I found the finale somewhat unsatisfying.)