PDA

View Full Version : Not a Fan of the Nudge, but....

popmuze
08-06-2016, 01:35 AM
One agent has my full since April, another since mid-June. Recently I succumbed to the uncontrollable urge to see what the book would read like in first person rather than third. I really like the way it turned out, with more opportunities for me to get inside the main character's head. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I mentioned this in an email to either or both agents?

hikarinotsubasa
08-06-2016, 07:19 AM
If you really want to play around with that, I'd write it first.
Let the agents read. If you FINISH the rewrite, like it better, and still haven't heard back from them, it would be fine at that point to nudge and let the agents know that you've made some major revisions, and ask if they would like to read.

I wouldn't nudge with an IDEA for revisions before the revisions are actually done. That sounds like something you'd talk about with an agent who already represented you, and not something you could expect someone who probably hasn't even read your MS yet to weigh in on.

It also sounds like something that might come up in an R&R, if the agent likes the story but doesn't feel like the narration is close enough to the character.

Bottom line: DO the rewrite first. Sit on it for a couple of weeks, like you would with any draft. Get beta reads. Read it again yourself. If you still like it better, let the agents know you've made major revisions and ask if they would be interested in the new version.

And hold off on querying any NEW agents until you've decided which version you want to move forward with.

Sage
08-06-2016, 08:12 AM
My feeling is that if an agent offered rep and loved the third-person version, would you insist on the first-person version? If so, then maybe when you feel confident that the revisions are finished and polished and you're not going to change it anymore, nudge the agents with an offer of the revision. If not, I'd leave it and see what they say. If they mention not feeling connected to the character in a rejection, mention that you revised it specifically to do that (this is actually what I'd do either way, tbh).

I know you have a history of getting obsessed with rewriting. I'm going to advise you again to get the novel to where you want it and then leave it alone until you get specific and consistent feedback once you start querying it. Otherwise, you're going to continue to run into the problem of having fulls out that are X number of versions ago.