dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Had a crazy first six months (plus July).

Drove through 27 states, stayed at least one night in almost every one of them, visited 15 National Parks, wrote a book (first sale was today!), and am now in negotiations to begin a new job in a new state, so will kick off the second half of the year with a family move.... right after baby #4 is born!

So, yeah. Keeping busy. Same old, same old.

How's your 2016?!?!

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I wish mine had been half as exciting. The big highlight for me was celebrating a year of marriage with my darling wife. But other than that, it's been more downs than ups. My mother has some really bad health problems that have me in constant worry. I've thus far failed to make any professional quality sales to magazines (and my novel pitching hasn't gone anywhere either). On top of that, all the opportunities for a new job that looked so promising kind of dried up, which is really sad since I do NOT like my current job. I've been writing through all of this. Finished a 180,000 fantasy and a 33,000 novella, but it's been a real blow to my confidence.

However, I'll be hopping on a jet plane tomorrow morning for a week-long vacation with the in-laws in Texas. Maybe this holiday will reinvigorate me.

Didn't mean to drag down your post! I like your avatar.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you for getting published. I have a friend in Ireland who has children, a job and still somehow finds time to write, and publish three books. How do you ladies do it? I'm constantly in awe.

TylerXavier

Born in Rejections; Molded by Them
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you for getting published. I have a friend in Ireland who has children, a job and still somehow finds time to write, and publish three books. How do you ladies do it? I'm constantly in awe.

Not a lady, a parent, or published, but when I've talked to people in those situations (and in different ones) it's all about trimming the fat off your day. The average person is usually surprised to find out how much time is spent doing mindless things (mindless YouTube videos, tacky reality television, political banter, etc.). While there's nothing wrong with those things to unwind, it's amazing what you can do if you just trim that YouTube browsing time in half and spend the other half on a project. I had a really good conversation with some of my students about that, and they've seen some serious results. Also, parents can be incredibly productive if the children are having a good nap.

I wanted to drop in and say that's awesome about the cross-country road trip. I did something like that a few years ago and it was a great time. The national park system is really amazing. Publication is pretty cool, too (really, it's the first of many steps and one that everyone is after).

My year has felt like a lot of the same in some ways. I have a great job (and one that I think I'm good at) in which I feel like I'm contributing to society in a meaningful way, but other things seem to have stagnated. I did participate in some pretty cool volunteer projects this year. My writing, on the other hand, has been all effort and no progress, so that's been the mental equivalent of cutting down a tree with a herring.

Status
Not open for further replies.