Self-pubbing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot free

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebelthought.com
I'm new, so don't rip me for asking a question that's probably been asked a thousand times already, but I was told at another forum that self-pubbing is a bad way to go.

My intentions are to self-pub a quarterly chap or small mag of my own stuff as well as stuff from writer friends of mine that could be circulated locally and sold from my website. Eventually this pub would grow into something larger, perhaps a widely circulated, monthly mag.

Anyways, is self-pubbing the wrong way to go for this? Can anyone give me any suggestions that would help me along with my goal?

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Starting a magazine to publish your own work is probably not the easiest way to success, since it requires you to be both a good writer and a good publisher. Not too many people have the time or talent to do both.

Have you, as a reader, ever bought stories from the website of someone you've never heard of, or bought chapbooks you just stumbled across somewhere? Who do you envision will be buying your work? If you have a market already defined that you know will buy your work and that you have easy access to, it might be worthwhile. If you plan to compete with the thousands of other, already-established magazines and ezines and epresses out there, what is your business plan?

If your goal is to have your fiction published, why not let one of those thousands of already-existing publishers do it for you?

scot free

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebelthought.com
Thanks for the input guys. The plan was to at first give the chapbook - or maybe something along those lines but cheaper - away for free to build a market. We have a start up plan right now but not a point by point buisness plan being as though what we plan to do will not require an investor - at least in the foreseeable future. After a certian point, I would be handsoff as far as the magazine. If it worked, I would put someone in place to do it for me. I do want to be a great writer but I also want to publish a magazine - maybe I'm shooting a little high, but until I fail, why shouldn't I try? One may feed off of the other or pave the way for the other. Not just looking for a way to publish my stuff, want to be a buisness owner. But what do I know?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
check out the thousands of 'zines available online for free - then ask yourself what you can offer that THEY can't... and then go one better if you continue.

as well, consider paying the authors - it may only be a token, but it's better than using that old chestnut "you'll get exposure!"

jmo, of course...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suggest you get some advice from editors of successful long-runing zines and chapbook series. Try forums like the 'small press insider'.

Status
Not open for further replies.