PDA

View Full Version : Elemental-like Races

Melanii
07-27-2016, 05:36 AM
I'm pretty sure this is all related to fantasy.

Not only have I always wanted to figure this out, but I thought of a "forbidden love" between two people of opposite "elementals". Could you imagine if a fire elemental and water elemental got together? Oh man. XD

Though a race called "fire elemental" would be kind of lame. Or weird. Most races I can think of that are humanoid and associated with an element are often female-only.

So let's brainstorm?

Fire Elemental

Ifrit / Efreet / Afrit(any gender)

Water Elemental

Siren / Lorelei / Melusine / Nereid / Naiad / Rusalka / Undine (female only)
Kelpie / Nixie / Selkie (shifters)
Mermaid / Merman --> Merrow

Earth / Nature Elemental

Gnome / Dwarf (any gender) ?

Wind Elemental

Sylph / Harpy (female only)
Jinn / Djinn / Genie (any gender) ?

Honestly, I feel like I'm missing a lot more!

Any suggestions or resource ideas?

Some of these are probably under-used races in fantasy, too. Could be helpful!

Sage
07-27-2016, 05:49 AM
Not only have I always wanted to figure this out, but I thought of a "forbidden love" between two people of opposite "elementals". Could you imagine if a fire elemental and water elemental got together? Oh man. XD
Ha, you have just described my novel, although the word "elementals" doesn't appear. It's Jack Frost and his summer counterpart who are in love, but can barely touch because of the heat/frost issue.

E.F.B.
07-27-2016, 06:33 AM
Here's a sight with an A-Z list of mythological creatures. Probably not exhaustive, but maybe it will help or give you ideas. :)
http://www.mythical-creatures-and-beasts.com/mythical-creatures.html
Those are some fun story ideas you and Sage have!

Marian Perera
07-27-2016, 06:41 AM
The paranormal romance in my sig features a race of male-only elementals called the Earthborn Princes (because their mother, a far more powerful goddess who despises them, is called the Queen Beneath The Earth).

Mark HJ
07-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Could you imagine if a fire elemental and water elemental got together?

Never having to wait for the kettle to boil...

A further list that might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_legendary_creatures

Melanii
07-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Those are the types of lists I used, actually. XD

I can't help but wonder if I missed something that's commonly humanoid. o.o

Kjbartolotta
07-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Do your know anything about the old D&D Planescape setting. Along with a befuddling number of other fantasy beings, they has inhabitants of every possible elemental plain and subvariety, such as mineral, ash, steam, dust, salt, vacuum, and so on. IIRC, they were humanoid elemental hybrids, genesii or something like that, if you can find any of the material I'm sure there's tons of ideas and cool names for everything.

Melanii
07-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Time to find an online database for D&D/Pathfinder stuff!