HBO's THE NIGHT OF -- Spoilers possible

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Anyone watching this? I caught the first episode last night (typically, I'm behind). It was so intense I had to keep walking out of the room. Reminded me a bit of the Steven Avery documentary in it's ability to wind the tension. (And the gap in the actual commission of the crime.)

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I plan on it. I want to wait for the whole season to be finished so I can binge if I want to. It just felt like that kind of series. =)

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone watching this? I caught the first episode last night (typically, I'm behind). It was so intense I had to keep walking out of the room. Reminded me a bit of the Steven Avery documentary in it's ability to wind the tension. (And the gap in the actual commission of the crime.)
I felt the same watching the first episode... didn't walk out of the room but my heart was pounding and I had to remind myself to breathe. That never happens.

I watched the first episode two more times so I could focus on the details. After doing so, I think I may have the murder solved. (If I'm right, that never happens either.)

I love love love these characters and this story, though. Highly recommend it.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, saw the first one. For me it was a bit slow, but I couldn't take my eyes off it. Winner.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
My husband thought it was kind of slow, too, but he's still watching. I hope the pacing is simply the showrunners pulling the string as tight as they can. The acting has been absolutely top-shelf. Peyman Moaadi (playing the father) was in a terrific Iranian movie, A Separation, that won the 2012 Best Foreign Film Oscar. Similar to this, it's very much a taut psychological exploration of a happenstance of normal life that spirals out of control. I highly recommend it--as long as you can tolerate subtitles.

(P.S. Sorry Noizchild, I haven't a clue where else you can watch it. :()

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I watched the first episode two more times so I could focus on the details. After doing so, I think I may have the murder solved. (If I'm right, that never happens either.)
I spent the first episode asking myself, "Didn't I see John Turturro's name in the credits?" I should go back and watch it again. I could tell important things were being shown, but I was fighting to stay in the moment. I'm not thrilled with the switch to prison life in the 2nd and 3rd epi. I want to stay focused on the investigation. And why was Fisher Stevens the Pharmacist? Strange cameo or new prime suspect?

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
I felt the same watching the first episode... didn't walk out of the room but my heart was pounding and I had to remind myself to breathe. That never happens.

Ditto! Talk about a slow burn. I'm caught up and so far, I think it's living up to that first episode. John Turturro and the actor who plays Naz are absolutely killing it.

Elaine, my husband watched it with me and was bored to tears. I have come to accept he has the worst taste in entertainment! :tongue And at least I don't have to wait for him to watch new episodes.

I hate hate hate the attorney played by the lady that was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (too lazy to Google right now, though I feel like I should know her name...) but I do love Chandra. And Naz's mom; I feel strangely protective of her for some reason. She's just so sweet and naive, I wanna give her a big hug.

ETA: I think I may go back and re-watch the first episode, too. I just want to know who-dun-it already!

Last edited:

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I spent the first episode asking myself, "Didn't I see John Turturro's name in the credits?" I should go back and watch it again. I could tell important things were being shown, but I was fighting to stay in the moment. I'm not thrilled with the switch to prison life in the 2nd and 3rd epi. I want to stay focused on the investigation. And why was Fisher Stevens the Pharmacist? Strange cameo or new prime suspect?
I don't love the prison part either but where else is Naz gonna be, yanno? Not sure about the Pharmacist...I'm drawing a blank. Excuse to re-watch, heh.

Ditto! Talk about a slow burn. I'm caught up and so far, I think it's living up to that first episode. John Turturro and the actor who plays Naz are absolutely killing it.

Elaine, my husband watched it with me and was bored to tears. I have come to accept he has the worst taste in entertainment! :tongue And at least I don't have to wait for him to watch new episodes.

I hate hate hate the attorney played by the lady that was in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (too lazy to Google right now, though I feel like I should know her name...) but I do love Chandra. And Naz's mom; I feel strangely protective of her for some reason. She's just so sweet and naive, I wanna give her a big hug.

ETA: I think I may go back and re-watch the first episode, too. I just want to know who-dun-it already!
Ditto back re: all the characters you mentioned! I'll give you a hint as to my suspicions...warning, possible spoiler but could I be wrong; it's just a guess: it's the dude in the first episode, towards the beginning, he's walking with the witness who has a convo with Naz and Andrea, the one Box takes in. The dude doesn't speak, only stares, and he looks really, really pissed, but I didn't notice the first time around because he's in the "background" and his buddy is doing all the talking (I think the buddy is innocent; I think the other dude came back later). There's also that side door that doesn't shut all the way after Andrea lets the cat out. The cat is a clue, John just hasn't connected the dots yet...

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to find it for myself.

Yeah, I think you'll have to go to...other websites (some not ahem legal) to watch it. That could be why no one's answering.

It seems to be an HBO exclusive show so far, from what I've seen. I'll check Netflix, but it doesn't seem to be on Hulu or Amazon...?

Yeah, I think this is one of those shows where you have to buy from a specific website or channel (in this case, HBO).

Maybe in the future they'll stream the eps on other streaming services legal sites, like Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. For now, I think it's only HBO, from what I've seen.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't love the prison part either but where else is Naz gonna be, yanno?
True. Mainly I hate that it seems years since anyone's had anything original to say about prison life. And this show isn't exactly exploring new territory with that story line.

And, I did not read your spoiler....Yet.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Chrissy, I noticed that guy too. I initially put him in my mental list of suspects but then I started second guessing myself, wondering if he was thrown in as a red herring. Then again, Chekov's Gun and all... My money is currently on Andrea's stepdad. His first appearance on the show made me super uncomfortable and you can tell there's no love lost between the two. Then the scene in the latest episode at her funeral reminded me how much I really don't like or trust him. I'm hoping the show swings back his way in the next episode or two because I want to know why he's such a dick. :tongue

Edit: Noizchild, as far as I know, HBO shows aren't run simultaneously on other networks or streaming services. You can watch it on HBO Go, but you do need a login. They might be distributed by Netflix/Hulu/Amazon after the entire series has wrapped, but I'm struggling to recall a specific show where that's the case. HBO doesn't like to share.

Last edited:

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ITA, I don't like that one either... in fact, I wonder what the point of him being on the show is, if it isn't something nefarious, or at least highly unpalatable.

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Hey fellow enthusiasts, I went ahead and put a spoiler tag in the title, just in case. So, carry on. (I'm so happy I'm not the only one on the edge of my seat with this show!)

playground

Registered
Reaction score
This whole cast is phenomenal. I just hope they start doing a bit more on dropping hints and figuring out the murder.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm torn about watching this. I saw the British show (Criminal Justice) that it's adapted from a couple years ago and loved it, but it also made me very angry and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I've heard great things about this show and am interested in seeing how the writers have translated it to US culture and what dimensions they've added to the story. But I might not be in the best frame of mind for it right now.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm torn about watching this. I saw the British show (Criminal Justice) that it's adapted from a couple years ago and loved it, but it also made me very angry and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I've heard great things about this show and am interested in seeing how the writers have translated it to US culture and what dimensions they've added to the story. But I might not be in the best frame of mind for it right now.

I can totally see why. I had this same reaction to Making a Murderer, which, though not fictional, has the same sense of watching an injustice unfurl. I don't know how The Night Of ends but I feel the same sort of uncomfortable itch watching it.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night's episode was frustrating and annoying. I am very disappointed at the "transformation" of Naz. It's too soon; it feels very bait-and-switch. I understand why he asked for Freddy's help; I understand why he helped bring in the drugs. I can almost understand why he lost his shit and beat on that guy--almost, but not quite. I don't understand the overall attitude of "I'm gonna get buff and learn how to fight and smoke weed and I'm having so much fun playing chess with my new thug friend and I'm not really interested in talking to my lawyer and my real life sucks" (that last was alluded to in the previews for the next episode).

Maybe that's the point, that I'm supposed to be "doubting" him now. I still don't doubt that he's not a murderer, but this change feels very inorganic to me, like I'm being manipulated. It's become very unbelievable for me. Also, John seems to spend almost as much time trying to get a boner and get laid as he does trying to work on behalf of his client.

Ah well. I'll watch next week, but that's all I'm committing to. /rant

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're mad that they're torpedoing your theory first! :) It could swing back around.

I still theorize that the stepfather is involved somehow--not a spoiler, since I don't know, just a theory. And the prison life drama is proceeding by the numbers. But, you're quite right, it is going fast.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're mad that they're torpedoing your theory first! :)
Ha! Yeah, I thought I was all clever with that one. Not! I did say it never happens. :greenie

I think the stepfather theory will be next. And who's the
guy he was arguing with at the funeral?

But Fisher Stevens is the murderer, obviously. :tongue

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
I had a lot of the same thoughts about Sunday's episode as Chrissy did. It was probably my least favorite episode so far, but I'm in this for the long haul. I'm still certainNaz didn't kill Andrea, but man, he's sliding down the evil slope pretty quickly, isn't he? I'm reminded of what the predatory female attorney said at his arraignment/bond hearing, about prison turning a good kid into a criminal. Though, maybe we'll find out next week that he's not such a good kid, after all...

Though I did get excited when Stone went searching for Duane Reed (hehe). I was like, "Oh yeah, go Chrissy, go!" :D

I was a sucker for the scenes with the cat. I've got an even softer spot for Stone now, that's for sure. :)

Last edited:

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also thought about what the ex-attorney said to the judge. I am also rooting for the cat. :greenie I still like Stone, I was too harsh on him upthread. I'm just impatient, heh.