Not open for further replies.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I'm curious to discover who smokes, did but doesn't now and never smoked. If you smoke occasionally or smoke something other than cigarettes, you smoke. Given in to a moment of weakness? You smoke. So, use that as your poll answer. Poll numbers will be reflected on the quiz later ... ;-)

This is my first time posting a poll so, I may screw it up. If I do, you can reply with your response, the same one's I'll use for the poll:

I smoke
I've never smoked
I used to smoke, but don't now
(Edit: Apparently, my doofusness isn't weighing me down in the 'poll' department. Answer away ...)

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I used to smoke, I stopped. But I took the first option, because there's still occasionally a moment of weakness, and we don't want to catch me lying do we.
wink.gif

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
No, I grew up with two chain smoking parents, thanks. My dad smoked something like 8 packs a day.

He died of throat cancer, and if he hadn't, I would say smoking doesn't give you cancer.

But anyway - I had no air when I was a kid, so I appreciate it now. I can't stand the smell of smoke.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I smoked for eleven years and quit cold turkey. I was told that I couldn't so long as I was living with a chain smoker. I love proving people WRONG. LOL My last cigarette was May 1, 1997.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You missed, "I sometimes smoke."

I quit smoking while my wife was pregnant with our first son, but I do on occassion have a cigar. Haven't had one in over a year, but now that you brought it up, I'm getting a craving for a nice H.Uppmann or Padron.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I quit April 1, 2000, a couple days after a dear friend in my critique group died. It made me realize how much I wanted to live a long, long time, and how I could affect that outcome with my behavior. (His death was not smoking-related, but he smoked.)

That said, I still long for cigarettes at times and am tempted on occasion. If I hung out with people who smoked, I'd mooch now and then. I just don't want to return to an X-amount-per-day smoker, ever. Buying my own would let that happen.

Maryn, who never smoked inside (snow's not all that cold, you know?)

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
That said, I still long for cigarettes at times and am tempted on occasion.
Me, too. Once I came to grips with the reality that the cravings would never really go away, it became easier to keep with the promise I made with myself to quit. My SO smokes around me all the time when we're outside working on his truck or doing yard work and, I admit, it's hard for me not to rip it out of his mouth a take a long haul off it . . . but, I resist.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I started smoking in university, just to try it, and, of course, to be cool. I was never addicted and went from a f/t smoker, to an only-when-I-drink smoker, to not smoking at all. My husband is addicted to cigarettes, recently quit, and is now addicted to nicotine gum. Hmmm, is that better than smoking?

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
It is my only excuse to get out of the friggin kitchen. . . as long as I work in restaurants I will be a smoker by default. . . most chefs are smokers, which is slightly ironic considering that it dulls your palate and makes you need more salt. . .

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
like a chimney.

That explains the avatar.

I've never smoked. Like Pam, I grew up with two chain-smoking parents, and I had migraine headaches all the time. Moved away from home, into a non-smoking atmosphere, and the headaches stopped.

I've never really considered smoking--the kids I hung with didn't smoke, and I always thought it was dirty and gross. I still try to avoid even stepping on butts, etc.

My parents both quit when I was nineteen (just after I moved out to go to university). My dad caught pneumonia, and his lungs were in such bad shape the doctor told him he had a choice: he could quit, or he could die. He quit cold turkey, and Mom quit with him.

Unfortunately, my brother still lives with them, and he and his wife are chain-smokers, so Mom and Dad are smokers by default... :(

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I don't understand people who are so afraid of cancer that they refuse to live.

When major milestones arrive, I light up the Cubans my sister smuggles me in from Europe, and savor the finer things in life.

Cigarettes, and anything with additives, are a big scary no to me. But, hey, you sell a book? Get that cigar out and savor the moment.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I smoke around 2 packs a week. I think it's gross and there are times when I'd rather not, but as soon as the sh-t hits the fan at work, a cigarette is the only thing that keeps me sane.

I once had a professor in college who came in elated one day because he didn't want a cigarette. He had quit smoking almost 15 years before. That put a serious dent in my quit smoking motivation.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
badducky said:
I don't understand people who are so afraid of cancer that they refuse to live.
I don't smoke, never have, nor did my parents or brothers. But, for others, it's their decision. That said, I don't understand your statement, b. In a "do you smoke or not" thread, it seems you equate smoking with "living" and those who don't as not having a life worth living. Kind of like judging a person by the color of car he/she drives.

Am I afraid of cancer? Yes. But, in retrospect, that's not the reason I never took up smoking. At this point in my life, though, I have this take. When it's your turn, that's it. But there's no sense going around holding out your ticket.

Last edited:

rich

Smoking for 50 plus years. My stupidity overwhelms me.

Worse, I smoke more when I write more.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
After I tried quitting, that was the one rule I made for myself that I've stuck with, rich. No smoking while I create. The hardest part of that was getting used to not having a cigarette when I paint (though why I'd want to smoke around open cans of paint thinner is anyone's guess) or when I play music. I smoked a ton in the rock star days.

Status
Not open for further replies.