I have a few goals: #1. Publishing Credit and #2. Kick-ass Grad School Portfolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I'm here to confess my goals, for posterity's sake, I guess.

My Goals
  1. Get a publishing credit under my belt
  2. Create a kick-ass MFA grad school portfolio

First of all, to increase the tension here, I have only four months to complete my goals! It's almost August now, and I need to get this done before the New Year, when my grad program application is due. I also need a pub cred before then....

Here's the background: I applied to grad school last year, but wasn't accepted (that was pretty heart-breaking, but that's another story). Since then, I've begun the arduous process of creating a new portfolio, which is stronger, better, and more suitable to academia (read: no sci-fi). However, the real, true ticket into my program is of course a publishing credit, which I do not have currently.

My Strategy
I've been focusing most of my time on the portfolio, because that's where I'm comfortable. So, on the portfolio front, I feel confident (I'll still submit some or all of the pieces to AW for critique on 2nd draft).

However, on the publishing front, I've been really bad. I did submit to one (1) publisher (I know, shame on me!) in April, and have since given up hope that that will pan out. Now, I'm submitting to many local literary magazines. (Er... I should say, I will be submitting to them....). I plan to apply to programs in my home area, so I feel like even though these presses are small, they will be recognised by the instructors that review my portfolio. My strategy here specifically, is to write pieces for the magazine, rather than trying to find something that I've written that matches the magazine... Does that make sense?

I just finished a piece of Flash Fiction 500 words, which is for a local literary magazine, for their issue on the theme of Nostalgia (Baudrillard's). When I get more feedback from my critique group, I'll post on SYS.

Sorry for rambling on all about myself... I do feel that it's beneficial to share my goals with the world, to say them out loud. I appreciate you taking the time to read them!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You might also check the lead time for the mags you're submitting to. Some may have shorter than others, but it's not unusual for something to be accepted and come out in print four or more months later, depending on lead times, print schedules, etc., for each magazine. I just mean they likely have issues planned out well in advance of publication. Some may run only a couple months ahead, I have no idea how many do what; some may run only a month ahead, it's not my market, but I know there are ones that work well out.

It just may help if you want to be able to have a findable credit on your application if you can target places with shorter lead times. If you had something accepted that wasn't yet in print you could list that with the to-be-published-on date too, just a minor heads-up in case it might help.

Shalon

Registered
Reaction score
You might also check the lead time for the mags you're submitting to. Some may have shorter than others, but it's not unusual for something to be accepted and come out in print four or more months later, depending on lead times, print schedules, etc., for each magazine.

Yes, I realise I've totally missed the starting gun on this one. WAY too late... I have a fear of submission. haha! I should say, a fear of submitting. It's not conscious, but it's there, under the surface, making me 'forget' that I needed to submit to like, say 10 different places back in April, not one! ARgh...

- - - Updated - - -

thanks, zmethos!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Take a deep breath, inhale slowly and deeply and let the belly expand. Exhale slowly and bring the belly back in. Repeat. (In fact, train yourself to do this all the time.)

Now, once you've got a piece you like, submit it.

Keep up!

Rooting for you.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

TylerXavier

Born in Rejections; Molded by Them
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm also working on the grad school application. Nervous as crap about it for several reasons.

Shalon, you don't have to answer if it's an old wound, but how much do you think genre affected last year's portfolio? I only ask because I'm considering using SF for mine, but I've gotten very mixed answers from reading around articles. I also met with a professor who does admissions by happenstance and got to talking about it, and he said to write whatever I see myself writing the most. It was a good conversation, but I still have no idea what to make of that answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.