PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ladies here.

Parkinsonsd
07-23-2016, 05:34 AM
How soon after you drink a cup of coffee would it take for you to have to go to the bathroom? Everybody's different, I realize, but just asking about your personal experience.

eskay
07-23-2016, 06:09 AM
Hey, I'm a lady!

If I have a coffee and then get into a car, for example, I will need to pee in 30-40 minutes, and be pretty desperate after an hour.

I poked around pubmed a little bit, but didn't find any research that answers your question directly. But I didn't really do a thorough search.

Emermouse
07-23-2016, 06:39 AM
Okay, I don't like coffee, so I probably can't answer this question, but as a chick, I have to question why you feel that a woman's bladder would be so alien and mysterious. We may have different-exits, but I think the basic principle of a bladder is the same across the board. About the only reason, I can think to bring in gender, would be if your character's pregnant. If she's in the later months, she'll have to pee a lot, due to a baby basically taking up space and kicking her bladder, but even in the early months, she'd be hitting the bathroom more.

But I admit, I may be totally off base here, and I apologize if I am.

AW Admin
07-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Okay, I don't like coffee, so I probably can't answer this question, but as a chick, I have to question why you feel that a woman's bladder would be so alien and mysterious. We may have different-exits, but I think the basic principle of a bladder is the same across the board. About the only reason, I can think to bring in gender, would be if your character's pregnant. If she's in the later months, she'll have to pee a lot, due to a baby basically taking up space and kicking her bladder, but even in the early months, she'd be hitting the bathroom more.

But I admit, I may be totally off base here, and I apologize if I am.

A woman of a certain age (http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/womens-guide/bladder-control-menopause), especially one who has ever been pregnant, can have bladder issues related to tissue thinning, and weaker muscles. Hence many doctors start suggesting kegels much earlier to help compensate for potential later muscle loss.

Susannah Shepherd
07-23-2016, 07:14 AM
I'm middle-aged but haven't had kids - I wouldn't *have* to pee after a single cup of anything. The diuretic effect of a single cup of coffee (vs water) is a bit of an urban myth, I think?

If I'm off to the doctor's office to give a sample and I haven't had much to drink recently, I'll have 2 glasses of water about 20 minutes before to make sure. So do whatever your plot requires, 20 minutes or 4 hours, unless she's pregnant or has a pre-existing weakness it will be plausible (so long as you're not planning an instantaneous effect - I'd guess water moves through women and men at the same pace?).

Haggis
07-23-2016, 07:17 AM
A woman of a certain age (http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/womens-guide/bladder-control-menopause), especially one who has ever been pregnant, can have bladder issues related to tissue thinning, and weaker muscles. Hence many doctors start suggesting kegels much earlier to help compensate for potential later muscle loss.
Men of a certain age may well have an enlarged prostate which increases the urge to pee and the frequency of peeing. So I think that the answer to the OP's question is age-dependent.

MaeZe
07-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Who keeps track of that? Sorry, never paid it much mind.

Roxxsmom
07-23-2016, 07:35 AM
It really varies. For me, I usually have to pee an hour or so after drinking a cup of coffee, but it doesn't get desperate for a while. I've never had micro bladder issues, and the effect of a single cup of coffee on my bladder is pretty minor.

The thing that makes the biggest difference for me is whether or not I have a fruit smoothie for breakfast, along with the coffee. Maybe it's the extra fluid intake, but I always have to pee a couple times over the next 1-2 hours if I have one of those.

And, oh, the most irritating effect for me re coffee is the effect it has on the other, um, thing you have to do in the bathroom. I usually have to do that something else about an hour and a half or so after my morning coffee, and it can get pretty uncomfortable if I'm having to be up and about earlier than usual or am otherwise rushed in the morning (I'm a very late-night person who never gets to sleep before 2 AM, and need 8-9 hours of sleep to feel rested, so having to be anywhere before 1 or so makes it hard to have a properly timed morning routine). Really irritating to have that other urge hit during the morning commute or while teaching a class.

Maryn
07-23-2016, 07:36 AM
I'm middle-aged but haven't had kids - I wouldn't *have* to pee after a single cup of anything. The diuretic effect of a single cup of coffee (vs water) is a bit of an urban myth, I think? It's real to me. I pee way more in the morning when I'm drinking coffee than when I'm avoiding it before a mammogram.

For me, the need isn't strong after one cup, but I rarely stop at one. By the time I'm half way through the second cup, maybe 45 minutes after starting sipping, I need to pee. But it's not urgent for well over an hour.

Roxxsmom
07-23-2016, 07:49 AM
Women who are pregnant do need to pee a lot more often, both because the bladder has less room, and because she is eliminating the baby's nitrogenous wastes too, so she really does produce more urine.

Some women experience greater urgency after pregnancy, because the pelvic floor muscles have been stretched. Greater urgency or stress incontinence can result, and some women experience this even when they haven't been pregnant. Lowering estrogen levels later in life can also weaken pelvic floor muscles (middle aged female dogs who have been spayed for years can develop mild incontinence). Hormone replacement can help with this, and as AW Admin said, kegels are recommended for this reason.

There's also the syndrome of spastic bladder, where the muscles contract more vigorously when the bladder isn't filled. This is (I believe) more common in women, but men can get it too, and they have drugs that can help. And that benign prostatic hyperplasia that many men have as they age can also increase the frequency and urgency of urination, because the gland presses up on the bladder and sphincters at its base and interrupts flow while urinating.

frimble3
07-23-2016, 08:40 AM
As a woman 'of a certain age', overweight, having had a hysterectomy (stuff seems to reposition itself to 'fill the space', and taking a diuretic in the A.M. for medical reasons: it's variable as heck. Some mornings the 20 minute ride to work seems to take forever, some days I'm fine until lunch.
What also makes a difference is anxiety about it (if I'm going to be in a long meeting, or trying to get something done, the urge seems more frequent.)
And, weirdly, air pressure seems to be a factor, at least in my mind - on days when the weather is clearing up dramatically (air pressure rising?) I seem to feel the urge more often.
No difference between coffee, tea or water, as far as I've noticed.

You could probably do whatever works for your story, and it would seem right to someone.

neandermagnon
07-23-2016, 03:47 PM
How much you pee also depends on the temperature. When it's colder you sweat less, and if you sweat less you need to pee more often and/or your body will naturally adjust your thirst levels (i.e. being more thirsty on a hot day and less thirsty on a cold day). If you drink out of habit rather than being thirsty, then you'll end up being overhydrated on a cold day and therefore need to pee more often and more quickly after drinking. That's in addition to the other factors mentioned (age, existing bladder issues, etc).

It also depends on how hydrated you were before drinking the coffee/tea/water/whatever. Usually I fail to be adequately hydrated in the first place so don't need to pee after drinking tea (I hate coffee). Usually I'm really thirsty before and not thirsty afterwards. You pee more if you're over-hydrated. Even if you're dehydrated you'll still pee as your body has to get rid of the waste, but it'll be darker as it contains more waste and less water (dark pee is a sign that you're dehydrated and you should drink more water). Your kidneys adjust the amount of water in your pee so they retain as much water as they can when you're dehydrated and release the excess water when you're over-hydrated.

If someone's adequately hydrated and they have something to drink, the kidneys adjust pretty quickly (well, hormones are released into the blood that make your kidneys put more water in your pee if you want to get technical about it :greenie ) - so if someone needs to pee just five minutes after drinking a cup of coffee then that's realistic. Even more so if they don't habitually drink that much caffeine. Caffeine also causes your kidneys to put more water in your pee. If you're always drinking caffeinated beverages your body adjusts to this so the diuretic effect of tea/coffee is much weaker, but someone who doesn't commonly drink them will experience a greater diuretic effect. So yeah, drink coffee, need to pee within five or ten minutes is totally realistic. As is drinking tea and not needing to pee for ages if like me they're not that well hydrated to begin with and are habitual tea drinkers. (I have no idea about coffee because I don't drink coffee but I can't see it being that different, besides having more caffeine in it than tea - a habitual coffee drinker will adapt to having more caffeine in their bloodstream)

ETA: dark pee can be a sign of other medical issues so if drinking plenty of water doesn't make it go back to pale yellow see your doctor.

Parkinsonsd
07-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the responses. I asked the question here, because I received four different answers from different people I asked, and as I'm sure some of you have experienced, sometimes you ask a person a question, and they let you know that their personal experience is the only "right answer".

Again, thanks to all who responded.

M.S. Wiggins
07-24-2016, 01:59 AM
How soon after you drink a cup of coffee would it take for you to have to go to the bathroom? Everybody's different, I realize, but just asking about your personal experience.

Pee, or poo? I typically pee the second my eyes open in the morning. The next second has Coffee reservations—the hostess is a button called, Bold (brew type), and I press this hostess' button without apology. By the time I reach the newspaper's Dear Abby column, it's time to drop a deuce.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 02:27 AM
Who keeps track of that? Sorry, never paid it much mind.

Runners. Stop drinking (except sips) an hour before a race.

Perks
07-24-2016, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the responses. I asked the question here, because I received four different answers from different people I asked, and as I'm sure some of you have experienced, sometimes you ask a person a question, and they let you know that their personal experience is the only "right answer".

Again, thanks to all who responded.

And the responses seems to line up with sex? Is it different? I have a bladder roughly the size of my head, but I don't know that it has anything to do with me being female. A cup of coffee wouldn't affect me in any way in particular, except for in the caffeine jolt.

CassandraW
07-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Runners. .

ha! totally true.

I try to do my serious hydrating more like an hour and a half to two hours before the race. Then immediately before the race, I drink a bit more (because the race will be over by the time it passes through me).

And the responses seems to line up with sex? Is it different? I have a bladder roughly the size of my head, but I don't know that it has anything to do with me being female. A cup of coffee wouldn't affect me in any way in particular, except for in the caffeine jolt.

Also the case with me.

FWIW, I once went on a road trip with a male friend. Both of us are runners, so we both were sipping a lot of fluids (runners like to stay hydrated -- I don't know one who's not mildly obsessed with hydration). I am pretty sure we were roughly matched in how much we drank. He needed more frequent restroom stops than I did.

Coffee seems to have pretty much the same effect on me as any other fluid, except for the caffeine jolt.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 04:42 AM
I'm a trans woman.

I have a female endocrine system and a male abdominal cavity.

Before HRT, I often peed after every pint of beer.

HRT involves estrogen and an anti-androgen which is also a diuretic, which alone should mean I need to pee more often, everything else equal.

On HRT, I've just had 3 pints of beer and a glass of water, starting two hours ago, and still going strong.

Make of that what you will.

I'm willing to experiment further, if you supply the funds for SRS and uterus transplant.

Let me know if I have your research funding.

I'm a poor graduate student and need to know if I can pee or not.

Kuwi, clenching.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 04:56 AM
Ordered another beer. Please let me know soon. Don't want to get UTI for no $$$.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 05:21 AM
I peed. Sorry, OP, about 4 pints and I only made it around 2.5 hours. I don't know if this helps your research or not. Let me know if there is funding for more work. The beer cost quite a lot, too. (It was craft beer.) But we can write it off as a research expense.

Parkinsonsd
07-24-2016, 06:03 AM

Perks, that was the problem I had, the women I asked gave me different responses. My wife says after a cup five minutes tops and she's in the bathroom peeing. My mother says it takes her fifteen minutes, but then she has to get to a bathroom quickly or she loses control. My friend Jen says she doesn't really notice anything in particular, my sister says it takes her about forty five minutes.

But, more to the point, the people I asked assumed their individual anecdotal evidence meant a universal rule. I didn't know if there was a reason specific to female anatomy why there would be a disparity, so I asked, and the members of this board generously responded and explained various reasons for the potential disparities.

The character I'm writing about is a woman, and I asked because it does matter if it takes five minutes, fifteen minutes, forty-five minutes or three hours if they have a head-sized bladder like yourself.

I did not ask about men because for this particular inquiry, male urination habits are irrelevant.

Parkinsonsd
07-24-2016, 06:05 AM
I peed. Sorry, OP, about 4 pints and I only made it around 2.5 hours. I don't know if this helps your research or not. Let me know if there is funding for more work. The beer cost quite a lot, too. (It was craft beer.) But we can write it off as a research expense.

You are a hero. I mean that sincerely.

mccardey
07-24-2016, 06:05 AM
If it helps, my grandmother told me quite sternly A lady can always wait.

(Mind you, she also cautioned me against running in case all my lady-pieces fell out.)

Haggis
07-24-2016, 06:24 AM
I did not ask about men because for this particular inquiry, male urination habits are irrelevant.
I'm shocked. Shocked, I say to hear such a statement. While it may be irrelevant to your original question our male urination habits are hardly irrelevant. To males.

Perks
07-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Perks, that was the problem I had, the women I asked gave me different responses. My wife says after a cup five minutes tops and she's in the bathroom peeing. My mother says it takes her fifteen minutes, but then she has to get to a bathroom quickly or she loses control. My friend Jen says she doesn't really notice anything in particular, my sister says it takes her about forty five minutes.

But, more to the point, the people I asked assumed their individual anecdotal evidence meant a universal rule. I didn't know if there was a reason specific to female anatomy why there would be a disparity, so I asked, and the members of this board generously responded and explained various reasons for the potential disparities.

The character I'm writing about is a woman, and I asked because it does matter if it takes five minutes, fifteen minutes, forty-five minutes or three hours if they have a head-sized bladder like yourself.

I think all the variation in the anecdotes goes to show that, predictably, woman vary widely in this particularly specific scenario - and I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with being female. So, good news, you can write your pee scene any way you like and no one will doubt its timeline.

Haggis
07-24-2016, 06:30 AM
I think all the variation in the anecdotes goes to show that, predictably, woman vary widely in this particularly specific scenario - and I'm not sure it has anything at all to do with being female. So, good news, you can write your pee scene any way you like and no one will doubt its timeline.
^

This.

Perks
07-24-2016, 06:51 AM
Next up: How long is a piece of string?

Haggis
07-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Next up: How long is a piece of string?

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 06:57 AM
You are a hero. I mean that sincerely.

Please. I'm a heroine.

(Mind you, she also cautioned me against running in case all my lady-pieces fell out.)

It's a real danger. It's happened to me.

Of course, I tuck my lady-pieces inside their inguinal canals, sooo...

CassandraW
07-24-2016, 07:02 AM

pfft. 56.

Haggis
07-24-2016, 07:06 AM
pfft. 56.

I'm assuming you have no towel.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 07:11 AM
I'm assuming you have no towel.

Can I assume you're puppy potty-pad trained?

How long can a chihuahua hold it anyway?

Haggis
07-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Can I assume you're puppy potty-pad trained?

How long can a chihuahua hold it anyway?

Chihuahuas can hold it as long as they want. Unless you piss them off. Or, you know, unless they have to pee or something.

kuwisdelu
07-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Chihuahuas can hold it as long as they want. Unless you piss them off. Or, you know, unless they have to pee or something.

Just don't pee on the carpet.

Cath
07-24-2016, 02:44 PM
*polite cough*

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-24-2016, 03:22 PM
There's the teacher's bladder phenomenon. Gallons of tea (no joke, my mug holds a UK pint of the stuff) and rare opportunities to visit the little girls' room means my humungous bladder's walls are stronger than cast iron. The kids are gobsmacked at how much tea I drink and that I'm not running to the loo every five minutes. One of the ICT teachers told me her top set year 9s (8th grade equivalent), most of whom are in my top set year 9 science class, were recently discussing it during one of her lessons!

snafu1056
07-25-2016, 01:37 AM
If its a pregnant woman the answer is before, during, and immediately after the cup of coffee.

What I'd like to know is how do lady spleens work, and are they as soft and nice-smelling as I assume?

Roxxsmom
07-25-2016, 01:46 AM

Agree with Perks here. Write it the way it needs to be written, and if she's the kind of person who assumes that all women are the same as her (which they won't be), have her make that assumption.

I seriously doubt that a scene disclosing coffee to pee time is a deal breaker for your readers, even if it doesn't mesh with their personal experience.

As an aside, I dated a guy in college for a short time who had the proverbial teacup bladder that women are supposed to all have (but don't). Whenever we drank together, he'd literally be going to the bathroom every ten minutes.

SinoFyl
08-06-2016, 03:50 AM
If it helps, my grandmother told me quite sternly A lady can always wait.

Love this!