• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Membrane generates electricity from water

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Single-atom-thick sheets efficiently extract electricity from salt water

Ars Technica said:
It's possible to generate energy using nothing but the difference between fresh and salt water. When fresh and salt water are separated by a membrane that blocks the passage of certain ions, there is a force that drives the freshwater into the salt water to even out the salt concentration. That force can be harvested to produce energy, an approach termed "osmotic power."

But the generation of osmotic power is highly dependent on how quickly ions can cross the membrane—the thicker (and more robust) the membrane, the slower the ions will flow. Theoretically, the most efficient osmotic power generation would come from an atomically thin membrane layer. But can this theoretical system be achieved here in reality?

Recently, scientists answered that question using atomically thin membranes composed of molybdenum-disulfide (MoS2). In the paper that resulted, they describe a two-dimensional MoS2 membrane containing a single nanopore, which was used to separate reservoirs containing two solutions with different concentrations of salt in order to generate osmotic power.

How much power can we actually generate from this type of system? The scientists did calculations modeling a single-atom-thick MoS2 membrane with 30 percent of its surface containing 10nm pores. The results suggest that with the right salt gradient, you could get a power density of 106 W/m2. For comparison, the amount of energy we get from the Sun maxes out at about 1,000 W/m2.

That high power density suggests that MoS2 membranes have some serious potential as a source of renewable energy. While it would be very difficult to scale up an atomically thin membrane, there's still the possibility of using it to harvest a small bit of energy for electronic devices.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The Norwegian government will be interested in that cos I'm pretty sure they use osmosis to produce some of their energy.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I'd no idea it was a thing until I read that article.

Not really sure in the long-run how viable it is, if it depends on differences in salinity? How would one get a renewable large supply of waters of different salinity, without starting with salty & fresh water, and the process salting fresh water? Evaporation ponds filled with sea water, to produce saltier sea water maybe? Which would then be coupled with plain sea water?

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Either way, it's an interesting thing they're exploring.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It is. Be a good thing if they can get it working. And assuming it has no bad effects on the eco-system

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
When I saw the title of this thread, I literally went...
image1_zpsyagyzbos.gif

I was even more surprised to click and find it was on the Science Fact board. Fascinating stuff.