• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Literary Fiction/Short Story writers for critique and publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorena Cassady

On the whole, I'd rather be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lorenacassady.com
I'm looking for LITERARY FICTION writers, especially short story writers, who are interested in perfecting their work for publication. If you are not an avid reader of short stories please do not respond. To write the short story, you need to read the short story, and be familiar with the form. I have a broad definition of Literary Fiction. It does not include Romance, Erotica, Para-Normal, or Fantasy, but it can include Science Fiction, Mystery and the Western, if the writing is fine and the characters are fully developed, compelling, and central. For instance, I've just finished the first draft of a long short, 11,000 words which is a combination love story and mystery, set in Victorian London. Sherlock Holmes is co-starring. Most of my other stories are around 5,000 words. I am continually improving and submitting stories to Literary Magazines, and hope to find other writers with similar ambitions. Look forward to hearing from you.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello Lorena,

Perhaps we can critique the opening 13 lines, or about 200 words, of our stories here and see if we would like to swap the entire pieces. My story is literary horror, and is approximately 7600 words. I always find reading a person's fiction is the best introduction anyway.

The Ascent Made Him Plunge

Francisco stepped through The Doors, and almost stumbled back out when Wabi pounced from around the bar, bright smile splitting his mustached face, wiry arms opened wide in a hug that pulled Francisco into intimate contact with him.

“My man!” The words vibrated in Wabi’s chest, and if possible, he pulled Francisco closer, their thin frames pressed flat together threatening to become one. Francisco peered past Wabi’s shoulders to the windows at the other end of The Doors, and contemplated breaking the bar owner’s hold and pushing, sprinting him through the tinted glass to the ground five stories below.

“My band’s been practicing that song you wrote for me last month, and it’s going awesome!”

Status
Not open for further replies.