PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Friendly and Honest Mentor!

ahorst
07-20-2016, 02:44 AM
Hello, all! I am new (as denoted by the absence of a profile picture, which I can't figure out...) and I hope I'm following the guidelines correctly.

My genre is a bit hard to nail down (I'm actually needing a little help in defining it), but I've been told it is supernatural slipstream. I can take constructive criticism, but any comments/suggestions that are said in a harsh, unfriendly way will most likely cause me to try and distance myself. I am obviously here for a swap as well; I would love to read anothers' work and provide advice. :)

My story is unfinished and I haven't thought of publishing or query letters yet. I'm looking for help on brainstorming, grammar check if possible, and hopefully some advice on the flow. I would prefer someone who has been published before, but I have no hard requirement on that. Anyone who is a helpful veteran that is willing to aide me on my novel quest. :D

Thanks for reading!

Williebee
07-20-2016, 03:07 AM
Cool and welcome.

Step 1: Have Patience.
Step 2: Get involved in the community here. Read the stickies and participate. When you've spent some time critiquing others, over in SYW, and you have enough posts, post up some SMALL pieces of your work to be critiqued. You want to know the people you're wanting to work with, and you want them to know you. That takes patience and honest participation. It ain't easy, but it's the best way forward.
Step 3 - 12: See step one.

It's not a 12 step program, but the steps after that look a lot like steps 1 & 2.

Really, welcome. I wish you much success.

ahorst
07-20-2016, 03:12 AM
Sorry for the confusion, but what is SYW? Thanks for the reply. :)

ahorst
07-20-2016, 03:14 AM
Oh! Share your writing. :) Thanks for the heads up, Willie!