A Male's View of the Sexual Encounter.

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
I searched the threads, but could find nothing to answer the following question:

I wonder whether there could be a market for a male's viewpoint of the sexual encounter? I am aware of Men Are From mars, etc., but am not thinking along those lines.

To a male mind the sexual episode itself has different tribulations running through the process, including foreplay, which creates an often perplexing problem of how to act/react in a physical situation. Some of the stories relating to this are truly hilarious when viewed from a man's perspective. I am visualizing more of a satirical "How To" written without being crude or coarse in the phraseology.

Has anyone, or is anyone, writing such as this at the moment or is there anything out there already done along these lines?

Thanks

Last edited:

James Buchanan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eroticjames.tripod.com
Depends on the man as to his point of view.

I write M/M -- everything is from the man's point of view. And readership -- largely female.

I haven't seen anything like the work you're suggesting, it would have to be handled carefully to stay on that satirical, tongue in cheek edge, but it could be fun.

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
James Buchanan said:
Depends on the man as to his point of view.

I haven't seen anything like the work you're suggesting, it would have to be handled carefully to stay on that satirical, tongue in cheek edge, but it could be fun.

I was thinking back over the years about numerous stories shared between males regarding wives, girlfriends, relationships, and the inherent unusual tangents which the various situations involve while the male is attempting to remain and appear 'Johnny Cool' in different 'romantic' factors.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The closest I can think of is 'lad lit' but this is till written mainly for female readers--with a more openly comedic turn it might hit a cross-gender readership though.

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's also something out there being referred to as "fratire" that does aim for the male audience - the book "The Game" with all the pick-up techniques in it comes to mind. Of course, I think crude and coarse are often the order of the day in books in this genre.

I wrote a hetero erotic story from a male POV, but the male was a vampire, so it had some crossover horror appeal. I've recently read a few things where the POV shifts from the female to the male and it worked. I don't think male POV is off limits.

Edited to add: here's the link to the story I read about the "fratire" situation - I haven't actually read any of the books mentioned though.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,,1758949,00.html

Last edited:

Crisscross

Not sure what you are getting at, Charles.

Comming of age stories for males (teens) are largely a comedy of errors of nothing ever going exactly right. An adult male is assumed to have learned something, and should engage in sexual play without being Bozo the clown. There is plenty of room for satire in some situations - a popular one is the man who has hit rock bottom; lost his job and financial security, his wife ran off with a rock star, he is a bewildered stranger in a strange land. A step above that is the man who finds all women inexplicable and relies on his therapist for guidence. A step above that is half a dozen Woody Allen movies. Not sure if any of these scenarios fit in the field of erotica.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Now that I think of it there is some 'literary' erotica in this area -- I can think of examples at places like Ruthies Club.

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Crisscross said:
Not sure what you are getting at, Charles.

Comming of age stories for males (teens) are largely a comedy of errors of nothing ever going exactly right. An adult male is assumed to have learned something, and should engage in sexual play without being Bozo the clown. QUOTE]

"Although an adult male is assumed ......Bozo the Clown."

The comedy of errors happens to adults, too - and that is exactly what I am considering, and thanks ever so much for a great title if I do the story.

'Things' happen between even the most gifted of Lotharios and a lady which result in laughter from both, especially when the story gains in the telling and re-telling. I would wish the end result to be enjoyed by both sexes, not just males. I am almost positive it has been done in the past, if not the present, but still it might be a reasonable effort to pursue.

I am being extremely cautious in my wording on this post due to "little pitchers having big ears". That said, I believe it could be accomplished without resorting to coarse and graphic language, which would make it even funnier. Every couple has their favorite story of 'the night/day/evening when everything went wrong no matter what'; the little words, mistakes, klutzy things which might be embarrassing while at the same time results in hysterical laughter.

I'm not even certain it WOULD be under erotica, but it seemed the most likely at this point.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A combo of sorts

What if you combine these ideas with those you mention in the romance forum? I believe you'd have terrific material to work with. There's no question you possess the deft hand it requires to balance both the humor and romantic angles of the story. The challenge might be to appeal to both sexes; but doesn't everyone enjoy a good laugh?

You could build scenes with enough romantic flavors to melt a reader's heart, and then lead to interruptus moments where an angry cop bangs on the car window...or a wasp stings a lover's backside...or the canoe tips over...or...

Not that I'd know anything about these outdoor interludes--just speculating.

(I would've added a link to the romance thread if I knew how.)

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Silver King said:
The challenge might be to appeal to both sexes; but doesn't everyone enjoy a good laugh?

You could build scenes with enough romantic flavors to melt a reader's heart, and then lead to interruptus moments where an angry cop bangs on the car window...or a wasp stings a lover's backside...or the canoe tips over...or...

Not that I'd know anything about these outdoor interludes--just speculating.

(I would've added a link to the romance thread if I knew how.)

Thank you for the compliment.

Chuckling here - I do so love it when one's "speculating" about outdoor interludes gives away those moments experienced but not willing to explain.

Here in these Arkansas hills it was difficult for us when we first arrived and settled in. Visitors would come to welcome us when suddenly, in the middle of a conversation with people just met, the husband would unbuckle his trousers, loosen them around his hips, then reach beneath the cloth to pull a tick from his lower anatomy - and with complete unconcern about some thing called modesty. And he would do all of this without a single pause in the conversation. The same for the women, too.

Less than six months later my wife and I also fell into this same attitude. Tick checks at odd moments are a thing accepted around here and laughed about as a norm, including in the middle of those late night tender moments. The ironic factor of it is that all social stratas must bow to nature's blood sucking creatures.

Last edited:

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I think writing M/M would actually be fun....Not to mention a man's perspective on his first time...:)

slobbit

Registered
Reaction score
dlcharles said:
Every couple has their favorite story of 'the night/day/evening when everything went wrong no matter what'; the little words, mistakes, klutzy things which might be embarrassing while at the same time results in hysterical laughter.

My sex scenes from both male and females PsOV are peppered with such moments. Sex, like anything else in life, isn't perfect. There's the item of clothing that doesn't cooperate, the bad pun, the interruption. Watching the characters deal with the imperfect I think makes it more enjoyable in the end. It's fun to watch them persevere and overcome and still have a wonderful time.