PDA

View Full Version : Where to start selling online? (Etsy? etc.)

sassandgroove
07-15-2016, 08:30 PM
I want to sell my crafts and don't know where to start. I've heard some things about Etsy that make me wonder if it is the best option or not. Like letting Artisans sell their manufactured items. I googled my question and the first article I found is from 2011. I'm going to keep looking myself but wondered what people here thought. Thanks.

Lillian_Blaire
08-20-2016, 01:04 AM
I've looked into selling crafts on Etsy, too. They have a lot of rules and I've struggled to figure out how tough they are at enforcing them. For example, I make themed pillowcases. But Etsy won't allow you to sell anything with an image on it that you don't have the rights to. So, if it has Mickey Mouse on the fabric, I can't sell it without the consent of Disney, which isn't happening. So, I decided just to start my own website and sell from there. Sadly, it doesn't get the same traffic as Etsy (obviously). Have you looked into opening a business account on Facebook? It's free. I did that too and it's given me a bit of traffic to my website. Just a thought.

stephenf
08-20-2016, 02:02 AM
Hi
Etsy is a craft based eBay type of site . They clam to have strong ethical base and it is growing in popularity. You could also list things on eBay . From a traders point of view , eBay can be a profitable and reliable platform .eBay will promote your products and get you on the first page of google searches . They also have millions of people signed up and looking to buy stuff .Making your own web site can be interesting and rewarding , but there are over 5 billion sites on the Internet and to bring customers to yours is not cheap or easy . You can also list things on Amazon , but for some reason, I don't understand , some products do well , but some don't . Also to create a listing on Amazon , if your items are original you will need to, is a pain .

MaeZe
08-20-2016, 03:23 AM
What kind of crafts? There is a market on eBay for some stuff. A quick search for OOAK, which means one of a kind, currently brings up 96,174 listings. They have the bigger market but Etsy has a decent one from what I understand. EBay can drive you nuts with all their nickel and dime-ing and currently they cater to buyers at the expense of sellers, making you pay for returns, including shipping whether you want to or not. But overall no one has the same buyer base and I've only had a couple of problems with buyers. I sell board games and collectibles.