PDA

View Full Version : Free Ebooks from Tor

AW Admin
07-14-2016, 11:36 PM
This strikes me as both cool and fun; Tor has announced a ebook "Book club."

Basically, a free ebook each month, and then group discussion about the book on the Tor.com site.

http://www.tor.com/2016/07/11/one-free-book-every-month-announcing-the-tor-com-ebook-club/

Brightdreamer
07-15-2016, 01:40 AM
Dang, I already have enough books. Guess I'll have to pass.

(Heh, heh... "already have enough books"... like that's a thing... *signs up* ;) )

AW Admin
07-15-2016, 02:08 AM
This month's book is The Three-Body problem by Cixin Liu. It won the Hugo last year, was nominated for the Nebula.

It's free as an ebook download (mobi or ePub) until July 17, 2016.

I tried reading it pre-Hugos and just couldn't get into it, but I'm going to try again.

People I respect have really loved it.

Shadowflame
07-15-2016, 03:17 AM
I got it yesterday. Can't wait to dive in.

themindstream
07-15-2016, 04:52 AM
Ooh. Yoink!

MonsterTamer
07-15-2016, 05:41 AM
Thanks!

SianaBlackwood
07-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Note: only available in the US and Canada.

rwm4768
07-15-2016, 08:41 AM
I might actually have to sign up for this.

Shalon
07-16-2016, 04:32 AM
This is great. Thanks!

Ari Meermans
07-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Sign up. Get The Three-Body Problem. If you've ever looked into the night sky and wondered about the invariance of the laws of Physics as we know them, get this book. Whether you love hard SF or normally shun it, get this book. It's the greatest "what-if" book I've ever read and, yeah, I've read a couple of books.

The plot builds slowly and you may wonder what the Chinese Cultural Revolution has to do with anything. Don't let that deter you, it's one of the best set-ups of all time. The plot builds slowly, picks up the pace—then it runs away with you. I'm resenting having to put it down when my eyes and mind refuse to cooperate with each other any longer. I've read some books that were unputdownable like this, but none has required so much of me as a reader. There are two more books in the trilogy and, even though I haven't finished this one quite yet, I've added them to my wish list.

Get this book. Oh, yeah, and do read it.

AW Admin
08-04-2016, 08:23 PM
The August ebook giveaway is Jo Walton's The Just City.

http://ebookclub.tor.com/

themindstream
09-06-2016, 03:30 AM
Reminder that it's a new month and a new book - Gardens of the Moon by Stephen Erikson, available till September 7.

Dennis E. Taylor
09-06-2016, 05:18 AM
I've given up on this. Two months ago, the MOBI link downloaded a 22k stub that was obviously useless (The EPUB button worked fine). I reported it to the webmaster and got bupkis. Last month my account mysteriously completely disappeared and I had to recreate it. This month, the MOBI button doesn't work at all. Reported it, got bupkis.

themindstream
09-06-2016, 07:23 AM
I've had no problems except not actually having time to read any of the books. :P

I mean, I could make time, but I've been putting off the newest book in my favorite series with the condition that I resolved to finish my novel draft by the end of the year and I wasn't going to read it till that's done...so reading other books that aren't research fodder, well...

Brightdreamer
09-06-2016, 08:33 AM
I've given up on this. Two months ago, the MOBI link downloaded a 22k stub that was obviously useless.

That happened to me with last month's freebie, too; unfortunately, I didn't catch it until after the free download window closed. This time, I downloaded both versions, but have yet to try uploading them...

Just checked, and near as I can tell the MOBI (Kindle) format appears to be functional. Can't confirm the EPUB, though. (Never tried uploading directly from my computer to the Galaxy NOOK... can't figure out just where to put the thing at the moment.)

AW Admin
10-03-2016, 07:39 PM
The October free book from Tor is Elizabeth Bear's Range of Ghosts

I <3 Bear's books.

http://ebookclub.tor.com/

AW Admin
11-04-2016, 09:56 PM
This month's free ebook from Tor (http://ebookclub.tor.com/)is Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

It's a Hugo award winner for Best Novel.

I'm contemplating re-reading it.

Anyone else interested in reading along? We could start a thread and do an AW read.

Roxxsmom
11-04-2016, 11:12 PM
This month's book is The Three-Body problem by Cixin Liu. It won the Hugo last year, was nominated for the Nebula.

It's free as an ebook download (mobi or ePub) until July 17, 2016.

I tried reading it pre-Hugos and just couldn't get into it, but I'm going to try again.

People I respect have really loved it.

Sounds like a cool idea.

Maybe this is a good time to try Three Body Problem again. I couldn't get into it either, and I feel like I must be missing something. I'll admit my comfort zone in books is to be able to sink into a well rendered character viewpoint, and this definitely felt like more of an event-driven story.

Roxxsmom
11-06-2016, 12:14 AM
I joined and am reading the novel Spin on my ipad. I'm about 130 or so pages in last night and liking it so far. It's one of those stories that keeps me reading to see what the heck is going on in an overarching sense, but the author has created a narrating character who makes me feel connected as well. One problem I often have with "Big, long time frame, issue/idea SF" is how it's usually told in omniscient, or through the eyes of so many characters I never connect to any of the characters that much.

I'm not sure where on Tor dot com one goes to join the discussion. I'd be up for a discussion thread on this site if others are.

Jason
11-06-2016, 12:37 AM
557 pages? It'll take me a while but willing to give it a go...

Roxxsmom
11-06-2016, 12:52 AM
557 pages? It'll take me a while but willing to give it a go...

They read pretty fast. I got through over 100 of those "pages" last night before bed (though I stayed up later than I should have reading it). Hard to say how e-pages translate to actual word counts.

Jason
11-06-2016, 01:35 AM
Funny, after that post I googled it:

https://kdp.amazon.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=47264

Seems a Kindle page is about the same as a regular page, depending on the size of the font the reader selects; 200-300.

So, a 500 page eBook would be 500x300 or 150,000 words. Not as bad as I thought lol

Roxxsmom
11-06-2016, 09:55 AM
The book I got for free from tor is in the i book format, because I'm reading it on my ipad (I also have a kindle and nook app on the ipad, but in this case, I had to pick between a pc format or mac device format).

Around 150,000 words isn't especially huge for speculative fiction, of course.

Funny, after that post I googled it:

https://kdp.amazon.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=47264

Seems a Kindle page is about the same as a regular page, depending on the size of the font the reader selects; 200-300.

So, a 500 page eBook would be 500x300 or 150,000 words. Not as bad as I thought lol